Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pivot table refresh - any way to keep it from re-sizing the width of columns??

I always have to resize the columns after refreshing.
    I have some instances where i have to refresh after changing input and i have 2 grids below the pivot and any time i refresh it messes up the column widths so i have to keep resizing. It is annoying. Add a way to lock the column width so this wont happen every time i refresh.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported. After you initially create the PivotTable, you can do the following:

1. right click on the PivotTable and choose PivotTable Options…
      2. On the Layout & Format tab, make sure that “Autofit column widths on update” is unchecked.

In the future, The best place to ask this question is the Excel area of answers.microsoft.com – specifically the Windows Excel Desktop area ( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-excel-os_device_win10desk?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=threads&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&tm=1456878400400&auth=1 )

We’ve got folks over there who can help with questions like this, and we’re trying to keep the UserVoice site for new product ideas.

Hope that helps,

Dan [MS]

• Allow users to disable date grouping in PivotTables

Please make functionality "improvements" with the ability to choose when to use them. Excel now "auto-groups" certain data in pivot tables. I don't need or want this most of the time, but I can't turn it off. Now I'm in a bind where I need to process several reports and have to figure out how to work with this new forced "enhancement"

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Nicole,

Good news – this is already supported in Excel. To turn off Date Grouping in PivotTables, go to File > Options > Advanced, scroll down to the “Data” section, and toggle the “Disable automatic grouping of Date/Time columns in PivotTables.”

Cheers,
        Dan [MS]

• Add calculation options to grand totals

It'd be great if we can have multiple calculation options to the grand total for rows and columns. In other words, get grand totals to show not just the sum but also give the ability to count, average...etc

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi John,

Kenneth beat me to it, but this is already possible today with Excel – the Grand Total will show whatever aggregation you’re using for the column. To change that,

1. In the PivotTable Fields pane, click on one of your fields in the Values section.
          2. Choose Value Field Settings.
          3. In the scrollable list that appears, choose a calculation type other than Sum.

Hope that helps,
          Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base