Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Power Pivot PivotTable - Source Table Identification

PROBLEM: From an Excel PivotTable where the data source is a Power Pivot data model, it is difficult to identify the source table for a particular field.

SOLUTION: When a Power Pivot data model is the basis for an Excel PivotTable, include the table name in the Source Name: field of the Field Settings dialog. If I have more than one field named "Sales $" as shown in the attached image, I cannot tell which table "Sales $" is coming from without a bunch of effort in the PivotTable Fields dialog.

Can you append the table name to the Source…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for hyperlinks in a Pivot Table

Please add support for hyperlinks in a Pivot Table. Whilst I know that this can be accomplished via VBA, it's not exactly elegant

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Auto refresh Pivot table with change in Source data

Please add a user controlled feature(radio buttons) to automatically refresh the pivot table with change in Source data.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Rollout "Set PivotTable Default Layout Options" to all Excel 2016 Users

After years and years of fighting Rob Collie's horrific "compact" layout, and thousands upon thousands of clicks to set PivotTables up so that they LOOK like people expect them to look, I see with delight that you've fixed it! At long last!

Except you're only giving it to Office 365 subscribers?

My suggestion is to turn it on for everyone. Or if that is the plan, then you need to really clear up all the incredible ambiguity and confusion about what's an upgrade and what's an update and who's gonna get what update, when. Because it's one jumbled up mess…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make automatic Date Table in Power Pivot work with Calculated columns

Currently, if I only have a date column in my model that comes from a calculated column I am not able to create an automatic date table. For that feature to work, I need a date column in my source file. Please remove this restriction.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Pivottable allow value sorting for the "show values as" built-in calculations

When you wish to create a difference table, I as I'm sure most do, use the show values as calculations (which are great time savers).

However it's a massive pain, that these values cannot be sorted or filtered by.

When I create such a table, I want to be able to show the biggest 10 or 20 movers (not the top 10 or 20 by the underlying number before using the built in calculation) sorted by highest to lowest or lowest to highest

This is a basic requirement for proper analysis

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a "select all" box in report connections for slicers

To make it easier to select all the pivot tables for a slicer, please add a "select all" and and "deselect all" checkbox

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Break link from source data to pivot table

At present you cannot send the output of a pivot table without the link to the underlying data - but often I want to do exactly that - share the results without sharing the base data.
    Cutting and pasting the pivot table works but loses all the careful formatting (actually worked much better up to Excel 2010, now entirely broken).
    So please can we have a method of preserving the output from pivot tables but delinking them from the source?

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PowerPivot Calculated Tables

Please bring Calculated Table feature from Power BI into the Excel Data Model. It is very useful to create intermediary tables from DAX calculations and link those tables into the data model.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Choose location of Grand Total

Please add the possibility to choose where Grand Total shall be displayed i.e Top, Bottom, Right, Left

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Default pivot table's to default to "Sum" rather than "Count"

I would like the default on pivot tables to go to "Sum" rather than "Count" or have an option for the user to select what the default is.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. sharing a pivot table workbook

I would like to be able to share a workbook that has a pivot table on it

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Rename "measure" with a more appropriate term (Power Pivot)

The variable calculations in Power Pivot is a useful tool, but calling them "measures" is likely to confuse (or annoy) people working in fields like research or accounting where the term "measure" already exists and means something else. In the sciences, any variable at the interval level or above could be considered a measure.

In management and organizational studies, the more typical term for a derived performance variable is "metric". Maybe there is a more appropriate term from computer science?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. pivot table show details

when you Double-click a field in the values area, the detail data that the value field is based on, is placed on a new worksheet.
    If the detail data come from a large database (with 30-40 columns) It would be useful to show details only concerning the fields (database columns) added to the pivot table

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. MDX Missing Member Mode BUG - changes not reflected

In Analyze->Change Data Source->Connection Properties, if the
    MDX Missing Member Mode value is changed, the change is applied, but the text is not saved.
    For example, if I change the value from Error to Ignore, the setting will successfully be changed to Ignore - but when I go back into this dialog box, the value Error is still listed.

Also, this parameter doesn't check for proper values - I can enter the value 'test', and am not prompted to correct (other parameters are checked)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Pivot Table

Pivot table with MEDIAN function.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Exclusion filter in pivot tables

Filters in pivot tables can be applied as exclusion as well as inclusion therefore when new data is added to the underlying table it will appear in the pivot table without manually having to select the new data through the filter.

Example: I am working with a table that contains customer fuel purchases, our employees also use our fuel for work vehicles but as these are internal transactions I need to exclude our company’s name from the pivot table.

Each time a new customer purchases fuel I need to manually select their name in the pivot table filter to add…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add feature to Inquire that enables Data Model documentation

The Inquire add-in is super helpful, but it would be even more helpful if it could also comprehensively document the workbook's Data Model.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Be Able to add a DAX Measure with VBA

Allow Us to Automate the Creation of a Power Pivot Model through VBA, At least to the Exent that we can Add/Delete Measures

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow Collapse of Values field in Pivot Tables

With two or more value fields on a pivot table, the auto-generated "Values" field gets added to the rows or columns of the pivot table, and acts somewhat like other row/column fields. However, it would be great if the user could expand/collapse/filter the Values field. Collapse would help to provide asymmetric reporting and would also allow the user to effectively put a Grand Total on the left side of the pivot table by collapsing the Values field for that particular item.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base