Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow us to filter slicers

I use Excel for connecting to tabular data models to create pivot tables with slicers. Our clients do not want to see blank slicer buttons or slicer options that are no longer valid (ie, a medical office location closed several years ago, but that data is still in our database to maintain historical scores). I have seen in PowerView that we can filter the slicer options to only display the ones you want. Would be great to have this in the desktop version of Excel. Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create Pivot Tables connected to DAX Native Provider

Currently, Excel Pivot Tables connects to Analysis Services Tabular data models trough MSOLAP Provider which writes MDX queries back to Analysis Services.

MS Excel should be able to use the same provider as Power BI and Power View and natively write DAX queries back to SSAS with enhanced query performance.

Currently the only way to use DAX queries is to write a DAX query in the MDX query windows while importing data into Power Pivot, dramatically increasing the file size, duplicating the data into a new data model and having to recreate DAX measures available in SSAS into Power Pivot…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include Power Pivot in ALL versions of Excel 2016 - not just certain subscriptions or perpetual licenses

It doesn't make senses that Power View and Power Query are included in all Excel versions but Power Pivot is excluded from many popular subscription and perpetual license options. Power Pivot should be available for all versions of Excel 2016.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Disable automatic detection of PowerPivot relationships

A common pattern in PowerPivot/PowerBI development is to create tables with no relationships to other tables. E.g. for storing parameters or for organising Measures.

However, in Excel 2016, we constantly get a yellow warning in the pivot table field list that "relationships between tables may be needed". This message reappears, even when I close the warning.

This behavious is really annoying and makes for a bad user experience. In older versions of Excel, it was possible to turn this off.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. disable automatic grouping of dates and times

This issue is far from resolved. MS before closing this item consider that (arrogantly speaking for the community)
    - auto grouping should be disabled by default
    - should be configurable at the app level not workbook

Leave the item open for user community to comment against until such time that the manager that OK'd this has been burned at the stake for being so arrogant as to assume the general community wants/ed this.

It is hard enough to get people moving in the right direction with data without you making such transitions HARDER not easier. WYSIWYG, I asked for 1…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow refreshing Power Query data with the ability to provide credentials using VBA

Imagine how great it would be if we could connect to web pages and services using power query, and provide the credentials in a protected mode in VBA, this will allow for uncountable applications of sharing information with others.
    The case now is you can connect to services and web pages and provide your credentials to power query, but when you send it to somebody, Excel (power query) asks for these credentials, many times you can not provide it to those people.
    so creating a refresh button that updates the data and seamlessly provide the credentials, and protecting the VBA…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More information for Err: "A PivotTable Report cannot overlap another PivotTable Report"

More information for Err: "A PivotTable Report cannot overlap another PivotTable Report".

I had multi PivotTable share the same data source in a single worksheet.
    This error had little meaning for me to find out which PivotTable having problem.

Please improve the error message and advice which PivotTable cause this problem.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Filter to Pivot table

In Excel 2016 I can no longer add a filter to the pivot table. I would like to be able to filter on more than just the Rows; I need to be able to filer on the values or columns as well. In previous Excel versions I could highlight the row above the pivot table and select all of the pivot data and apply a filter. In Excel 2016, this functionality is blocked and the Filter option is grayed out. Please bring back the ability to filter on columns and values.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pivot field number format - allow selection from cell styles

when using Number Format, in Value Field Settings on field in pivot table, allow selection from Cell Styles - this helps keep consistent styles across the workbook, and easy update of style to be applied to all pivot fields using that style.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Power Query Schedule Queries

Would be great if you could schedule data connections/queries to refresh within an Excel file on a set schedule. Nightly, Weekly, recurring day/time each month, etc.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Option to have Refresh All actually refresh 'all'

In Excel 13 & 16, I have not been able to get Data > Refresh All > Refresh All to actually refresh all the pivot tables, slicers and data (via PQ). It would be great to have an option where 'Refresh All' literally refreshes everything. Otherwise, you have to refresh the data, then go to each pivottable and refresh individually.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. pivot table show details drill down

when you Double-click a field in the values area, the detail data that the value field is based on, is placed on a new worksheet.
    If the pivot table is based on a large database (with 40 columns), the "drill down" detail list placed in the new worksheet will contain the “detail recordset” and will show all the 40 columns included in the original source.
    Most of time It would be useful to show only details concerning the fields (database columns) added to the pivot table so if in my pivot table I have 3 fields (extracted from a 40…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel for Mac

Hi, I am an Excel 2016 Mac user. It would very useful to have in the Mac version the following commands: Power Pivot, Get and Transform. Even more, I think that it would be perfect if the Excel Mac version had the same features that Excel for Windows has.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Be able to protect Power Pivot data model and measures with password

When you create a data model and measures in PowerPivot with PRO versions, users can modify and edit both.

Users and customers that have no idea on how the model has been build can make a lot of damage and dysfunction.

As well as VBA has it would be very interesting that Power Pivot has the option to be able to protect data model and measures with a password.

118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. pivot table style template

I find it very annoying that as users of what is a create tool, that we cannot add/replace the current global style template.

Instead we need to either use the copy and paste from an existing workbook that you create your custom style or some Macro magic.

This is not user friendly - on the face of it, it would seem like an easy win for Microsoft.

If you feel as I do please so vote

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. DAX 100% Parity with Power BI Desktop

Maintain a policy of 100% feature parity for DAX expressions (availability, compatibility, etc.) between Excel and Power BI, so that Excel professionals can be confident their knowledge and skills apply equally to both products with respect to DAX.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Data Model 100% Feature Parity with Power BI Desktop

Maintain a policy of 100% feature parity for Data Model feature between Excel and Power BI, so that Excel professionals can be confident their knowledge and skills apply equally to both products with respect to the Data Model features.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Power Pivot allow drill down to more than 1000 rows

Double clicking on a value in Power Pivot creates an extract limited to 1,000 rows.

Would be great to expand this to 100,000 +

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Power Pivot PivotTable - Source Table Identification

PROBLEM: From an Excel PivotTable where the data source is a Power Pivot data model, it is difficult to identify the source table for a particular field.

SOLUTION: When a Power Pivot data model is the basis for an Excel PivotTable, include the table name in the Source Name: field of the Field Settings dialog. If I have more than one field named "Sales $" as shown in the attached image, I cannot tell which table "Sales $" is coming from without a bunch of effort in the PivotTable Fields dialog.

Can you append the table name to the Source…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base