Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Expand/Collapse function in pivot charts for the 'Legend' (Pivot Column Group)

Expand/Collapse function in pivot charts for the 'Legend' (Pivot Column Group)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Roles to Power Pivot

Currently, the "roles" functionality, which enables row-level security, is available in tabular data models and Power BI desktop. I would like to use this feature in Power Pivot. To elaborate, I'd like to load a full data set, and have Power Pivot filter the data model shown to the current user, based on their security profile. I can set this fairly quickly in Power BI Desktop, not sure why it isn't an option for Power Pivot.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add an option in "pivot table" to sort data same as the "original order"

when creating pivot table it will sort data
    A-Z, Z-A, or MANUALLY
    it will be great if you add another option to allow the sorting the same order as they were. "original order"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. when we create a pivot and draw down but when we have to convert all value from count to sum So, there were tick mark option to be given fro

when we create a pivot and draw down but when we have to convert all value from count to sum So, there were tick mark option to be given fro

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Completely non-numeric pivot charts.

I work for an artistic company and we use excell to track the KINDS of items we need, character by character. For some characters, this might be organza or fur, others it might be foam or bolts. We want to be able to have distinct pages showing character by character, but also have up to date modifications if the kind of organza we use changes for all characters. In the past we had dozens of individuals pages (using slicers) and one main page, but they would not all get updated, so confusion ensued.

We like to be able to easily…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. make Pivot Table Filters/Columns/Rows/Values boxes stretchable in all directions.

I'd like to see the Pivot Table Filters/Columns/Rows/Values boxes stretchable in all directions. They are too small to manage more than a couple fields.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Pivot Table Ability to: Count Distinct values of a field & Add a Calculated Field / Item in the same Pivot Table

I encountered an issue today & had to create a workaround.

I wanted to count the unique "Item ID's" in the Pivot Table, so I had to select "Add this data to the Data Model" to do so. The only problem is, when you select that option, I loose the ability to add a Calculated field off of that Unique Count in the Pivot Table (all of those options are grayed out). It seems like you have to choose one ability over the other, when I needed to do both. This seems like it would be exceedingly valuable, as many…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pivot Table Slicer Report Connection select/unselect all option

Hi,
    Sometimes we have too many pivot tables and when we want to connect these tables into one slicer in report connections window we need to select each pivot table name one by one.

My recommendation is on the top of the report connection window, there should be select all/unselect all option box.

Thanks

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Slicers - Remove the selected criteria when a slicer is deleted

Hi,
    Slicers are great tools to filter Table and PivotTable.
    But, when you apply a filter with a slicer and after you remove this slicer from your worksheet, the filter is still active. And it's a nightmare to find the slicer who get the filter.

So, my suggestion, is to remove all the selections of a slicer when it is deleted.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make quick measures like in Power BI available in Excel as well

In Power BI we can easily create quick measures: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/quick-measures-preview/
    This makes it so much easier for newbies or occasional users to adopt the new technologies, so please add in Excel as well.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Imke & others,

Thanks for logging this suggestion and voting on it. Yes indeed this would be very useful to make it easier and quicker.

For those that’d like to get this done, please be sure to register your vote to help us prioritize against out backlog.

thanks

Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

11. Make slicers visible "On Demand".

Allow the user to configure if the slicer is always in view or pops up on-demand. Activation/visibility could be triggered by selecting a visible report filter field or pivot table column header. Alternately, a report filter field could be configured to pop-up a slicer instead of, or in addition to the normal selection box. Another alternate would be to have report filter field style boxes independent of the pivot table range which would pop-up the slicer when selected. Lastly, a slicer selection panel could be added with a list of parameters to choose which would cause the slicer to pop-up

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!Others that haven’t yet registered their vote for the item, please do so to help us understand the relative value of this item vs. the others on our backlog.

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!Others that haven’t yet registered their vote for the item, please do so to help us understand the relative value of this item vs. the others on our backlog.Thanks for the suggestion & the votes!

Hmm.. interesting thought, and I can see how useful this could be!Others that haven’t yet registered their vote for the item, please do so to help us understand the relative value of this item vs. the others on our backlog.Thanks for the suggestion & the votes!Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

12. Allow to disable the auto-compile for every DAX change in Power Pivot

The DAX compiler takes more than a minute to re-compile the model each time I modify the DAX code, or if I change the datatype of a measure.

This is with "Manual Calculation Mode" set, which if not set would take even more time.

Sometimes, I need to change many measures in a batch way and it is very painful to have to wait a good 1 minute between each changes.

A way to pause the compiler and modify many measure would be such help.

Currently, I have about 1000 measures. Assuming I would like to beautify them (code indentation)…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Dependent filters in Pivot tables

Have Pivot table filters cross filter each other like slicers can. With multiple filters on a Pivot table making a selection on one filter the choices in the next filter should only have values that still have data. An example would be if a Pivot table with sales data and filters for regions and districts. After selecting a region the district filter should only show districts related to the selected region.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Histogram from a pivot table

I should be able to create a histogram from a pivot table and this should update whenever values in the pivot are changed/updated

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow us to filter slicers

I use Excel for connecting to tabular data models to create pivot tables with slicers. Our clients do not want to see blank slicer buttons or slicer options that are no longer valid (ie, a medical office location closed several years ago, but that data is still in our database to maintain historical scores). I have seen in PowerView that we can filter the slicer options to only display the ones you want. Would be great to have this in the desktop version of Excel. Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Create Pivot Tables connected to DAX Native Provider

Currently, Excel Pivot Tables connects to Analysis Services Tabular data models trough MSOLAP Provider which writes MDX queries back to Analysis Services.

MS Excel should be able to use the same provider as Power BI and Power View and natively write DAX queries back to SSAS with enhanced query performance.

Currently the only way to use DAX queries is to write a DAX query in the MDX query windows while importing data into Power Pivot, dramatically increasing the file size, duplicating the data into a new data model and having to recreate DAX measures available in SSAS into Power Pivot…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Include Power Pivot in ALL versions of Excel 2016 - not just certain subscriptions or perpetual licenses

It doesn't make senses that Power View and Power Query are included in all Excel versions but Power Pivot is excluded from many popular subscription and perpetual license options. Power Pivot should be available for all versions of Excel 2016.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Disable automatic detection of PowerPivot relationships

A common pattern in PowerPivot/PowerBI development is to create tables with no relationships to other tables. E.g. for storing parameters or for organising Measures.

However, in Excel 2016, we constantly get a yellow warning in the pivot table field list that "relationships between tables may be needed". This message reappears, even when I close the warning.

This behavious is really annoying and makes for a bad user experience. In older versions of Excel, it was possible to turn this off.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. disable automatic grouping of dates and times

This issue is far from resolved. MS before closing this item consider that (arrogantly speaking for the community)
    - auto grouping should be disabled by default
    - should be configurable at the app level not workbook

Leave the item open for user community to comment against until such time that the manager that OK'd this has been burned at the stake for being so arrogant as to assume the general community wants/ed this.

It is hard enough to get people moving in the right direction with data without you making such transitions HARDER not easier. WYSIWYG, I asked for 1…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow refreshing Power Query data with the ability to provide credentials using VBA

Imagine how great it would be if we could connect to web pages and services using power query, and provide the credentials in a protected mode in VBA, this will allow for uncountable applications of sharing information with others.
    The case now is you can connect to services and web pages and provide your credentials to power query, but when you send it to somebody, Excel (power query) asks for these credentials, many times you can not provide it to those people.
    so creating a refresh button that updates the data and seamlessly provide the credentials, and protecting the VBA…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base