Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AutoFit tables in Power Pivot's Diagram View by default

By default, tables in Power Pivot's Diagram View have the same width and height. One size does not fit all. Please AutoFit the tables by default so that each table is as small as possible without causing the vertical scroll bar to appear and without cutting off the table name, any column name, or any measure name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pivot Table details contain links as well as cell data

I link supporting documents to values contained in thousands of rows in a table. I build pivot views of the table data. It would be most valuable if you would copy the link as well as the value that is in the cell when you click on the pivoted value and you are presented with the details making up the value. This way you can see the data pivoted, click on the value and get the detail and then click on the link that is in the value cell to get to the supporting documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Do not show a red underline for valid DAX code

There are at least 3 cases when Power Pivot shows a squiggly red underline for valid DAX code:
    • IN operator (e.g. "Some text" IN VALUES('Table'[Column]) )
    • Table constructor (e.g. COUNTROWS({"a","b"}) )
    • TREATAS

Please remove the red underline for these cases and any other cases when the code is valid.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. In DAX, make the associative functions accept an arbitrary number of column/scalar arguments

The aggregation functions (e.g. SUM, AVERAGE, VAR.P, etc.) all accept only a single column argument. MIN and MAX can alternatively accept exactly 2 scalar arguments. If more arguments are needed in any aggregation function, you must use the merging techniques mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate_function.

AND, OR, and CONCATENATE all only accept exactly 2 scalar arguments. If more arguments are needed, you must either use the operators (&&, ||, &) or nest multiple calls to the function (e.g. AND(AND(a,b),AND(c,d)) ). The operators create a visual inconsistency in code that is otherwise based mostly on function calls. Nested calls are difficult to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make it easier to change sum(values) from sum to count

Today when I change sum (values) from a sum to a count, I have to right click the field I added, and select "value field settings", which brings up a drop down that I then change to 'count'. I have to move the mouse quite a bit to complete this scenario - the right click is invariably lower right corner of the screen, and the dialog is in the center. If you are in a rush, or do alot of these, it tires your wrist out. Would be nice if I could do this without so much movement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Option of not aggregating in Pivot Tables.

I like the look and ease of using Pivot Tables, but would like to view actual values instead of aggregates. I've seen this suggestion appear on several other forums, but am surprised it has not been added as a feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug: wrong data from OLAP source

Incorrect values of dimension in pivot table sourced on OLAP cube (Microsoft SSAS 11.0.5569.0). The latest version without that bug is 16.0.6001.1068. Obviously we don’t know exact source of this bug, but most of the issues we discovered were on complex pivot tables with many attributes, partially displayed dimension’s hierarchy and without subtotals. Example of this bug occurring is in attached file ExcelBug. There are 2 exactly the same pivot tables (the table on the right hand side is basically copy of the table on the left hand side). After removing “Grand Total” on the table on the right hand…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Suppress Zero Values in Pivot Tables

Many other software programs that aggregate data in a similar manner as pivot tables allow or even default to an option that suppresses zero values. This would be extremely helpful to consolidate the table down when I am pivoting on data that has a lot of open dimensions that won't have values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. be able to sort pivot fields when im using it like filter not only when im using it like rows

be able to sort pivot fields when im using it like filter not only when im using it like rows

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel Pivot Table issue: Expand issue

Hi Team,

I found an issue in excel.

When creating a pivot table and we have 4 options in rows like (Pending Status, Days in current status, Issue category, Pending person).
    1:- If we have days in current status like 11 and I expand that than all 11 will expand, if I close that than all 11 will close as per logic only that 11 should expand on which i'm clicking and same should close.

2:- If we have issue category like Doc issue and I expand that than all Doc issue will expand, if I close that than all…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Change the sum function to subtraction

Today when a pivot table is made and we ask you to add a total on some level, the excel adds. You could have an option to change the sum function to subtraction. For exemple I would like to substraction two lines, today I made de pivot tables, copy and paste the table and I add a substracion at the line subtotal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. File Options>Advanced>Data>Disable Autofit column width on PivotTable update

I would like to add my name to the many users who create pivot tables daily only to see column width auto-adjust on refresh, and having to go into "Pivot Table Options>Layout&Format>Autofit column widths on update" and uncheck the box for EACH individual pivot table. It would be fantastic to have a check box in File Options (under Advanced>Data where the rest of Pivot Table options are) to uncheck the box as a default.

A great thanks to John Michaloudis' podcasts and thanks to John Campbell's recommendation (JM podcast n.8) to use this forum to post ideas and suggestions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Pivot text

Can "Don't aggregate" function be added in Value field of Pivot table,currently the value in this field is summarized by sum,count,average,max,etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Output a table from Power Pivot

Hello everyone,
    Would be great if would be possible also to get a table from power pivot aplication like you can do at power query.
    It would be helpfull in some day by day situation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Better Support for Analysis Services Tabular

It's about time to improve support for SSAS Tabular:
    1. Auto-generate DAX
    2. Avoid splitting a table into a "measure group" and "dimension". See how PBI Desktop handles metadata.
    3. Carry over data types so that users can create reports, such as show me invoices where Due Date is greater than ... Currently, all dimension table fields map to Text.
    4. Many customers have expressed interest to connect Excel tables directly to Tabular, bypassing Pivot Table, so they can use the column dropdowns and other Excel goodness.
    5. Support descriptions as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in…

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow Pivot Table "Merge & Center" option to be toggled per field in the field settings

Currently for Pivot Tables, you are only able to toggle "Merge and center cells with labels" for the entire report. In practice, we usually only want to merge and center the header fields.

This could be easily solved if there is an option under each field setting, similar to how you are allowed to change other layout options individually for each field currently. I imagine it shouldn't be too much work to follow the same logic as what's already in place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. error message pivot table field name is not valid

Please identify WHICH pivot table is causing the problem. when you have a spreadsheet with many many pivots on many tables, this error means that you have to manually search each pivot table until you find the one (or more) that is causing the problem. in fact, because pivot tables based on tables can get messed up if you delete table columns, even if you figure out which data set is causing the problem, you still have to manually adjust (change data) for each one of the pivots based on the table. Excel should adjust the data range on pivots…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. timeline slicer - hide items with no data

For "regular" slicers, there is an option to either visually indicate items with no data, or hide items with no data. For timeline slicers, no such option exists. It would be nice if the timeline slicer would gray out years/quarter/months that are not in the underlying data set.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Power Query Advanced Editor and Formula Bar Intellisense

Add intellisense to the advanced editor and the formula bar for the Power Query M-Code.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base