Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. group by business year/quarter/month in pivot tables using Wednesday rule

I love the way PivotTables automatically group by year, quarter, month in Excel 2016, however, in my job we use the Wednesday Rule to determine business dates and Excel's grouping method often doesn't work. Please consider adding this as an option for PivotTables. Thank you!

What is the Wednesday rule? If the first first day of the month is after Wednesday, then that week falls into the prior business month. Conversely, if the first day of the month is Sunday through Wednesday, then that week is included in the current business month.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Tooltips support for SSAS Tabular

Support descriptions which are a saved property in an SSAS Tabular model as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in the Field List. This is the way PowerBI works and would allow model developers to provide explanations of measures or dimensions to users in the field list. In effect, this would allow to Tabular model to be self documenting.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Adding customized tool tip for the "Pivot table Values"

Hi when we create Pivot Table, when we hover on the value of the Pivot table, it would be great to have other desired attributes of the said record. This will help in avoiding to go back to the large data set to get other non-calculating data...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Pivot charts to ignore data in the underlying pivot table

Currently if a pivot table shows two types of data (say sales data with a volume of sales and a total value of sales) and a pivot chart of that data is created, the chart cannot be made to only display one of the data items unless the underlying pivot table is changed, I propose you show a filter of all the columns being analysed in a pivot chart with an option to select or deselect columns.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Power Pivot Option in Excel app of Home & Business 2016 version

I purchased the office home & business 2016 for PC version. The idea was to learn features like power pivot/Power queryl. but to my dismay this version of the excel does not have this feature in built. Isn't this supposed to be a standard feature

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power query relationship with worksheets

When a worksheet is copied, any Power Query associated with tables on the sheet is not repeated.(This in contrast to the way VBA works).

Furthermore there is no way of identifying the worksheet on which a table sits from within a Power Query, I can see no way of writing worksheet-independent functions to overcome this problem.

This leaves us with having to use VBA to create new Power Queries when sheets are copied. Messy and, in some instances, unacceptable to the end user.

Please can we have a means of attaching power queries to worksheets so they are copied and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Update the online documentation so it is correct

The Power query M formula language reference at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/power-query-m-reference is misleading.

It includes a number of functions e.g. Hmtl.Table which if used in a Power Pivot Query cause an error. What the manual does not say is that these can only be used in queries originating in BI not queries originating in Excel.

I wasted a lot of time wondering why my queries did not work before somebody told me this.

Please go through the function reference making clear what works with Excel and what does not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I would like to see Filter sets (if they don't exist already).

I'm using several names in different order and not to be combined,
    So I would like to have a filter set which I can build on my own and apply if needed... For exampe (Set 1 : Name 1, Name 2, Name 3, Set 2 Name 4, Name 1, Name 3, etc )

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add the ability to run percentiles in pivot tables

I see a request already to add the ability to run medians in pivot tables--would love to be able to do this, and also to run other percentiles.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to lock moving and resizing of TimeLines

Currently it is not possible to create a Timeline that can be interacted with by the user, but not moved or resized. For the Slicer, the option "Disable resizing and moving" is available. For the TImeline however, this option is permanently greyed out rendering the method impossible. I've searched for countless of hours and the only responses from Microsoft support have been "That is not possible, sry". It just doesn't make sense that you can do it with Slicers but not with Timelines. Please fix this.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Need a normal filter option for pivot tables

Using Pivot Table, it gives a filter option for 1 or 2 columns only. Why cant we have a simple filter, that we use in a normal table. To get that, I copy paste my pivot into a text in excel, then apply a normal filter for my working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. PivotTables should respect Sets order for interspersed Total Columns

The Sets interface allows the setting of column orders, including interspersing "All" value columns. However, the PivotTable ignores ordering for "All" valued columns and always locates them at the end of the table. If the PivotTables respected this ordering it would greatly increase to user's ability choose how they want their data displayed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PIVOT TABLE design inconsistent - usually in lower portion of table

PIVOT TABLE design is inconsistent throughout the Table -
    Usually in lower portion of table, design is not in effect anymore (eg.Highlight, Formats)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Remember collapsing state of folders of queries in Power Query

In the current version all the folders are open when you launch PQ. It would be useful if PQ would remember their stat at the moment of last closing PQ window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. convert pivot table to range with formula totals

Allow a Pivot Table to be exported/converted to a range with Subtotals and Grand Totals running. Allows users to manipulate further from data crunched via PT - often you can't share full workbook and cumbersome to replicate in range user can interact with.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sort Pivot when you have "difference from % value" - this field is so useful to show YOY growth, but you can't then sort high low....

Sort Pivot when you have "difference from % value" - this field is so useful to show YOY growth, but you can't then sort high low....
    Currently you get an error message:
    "AutoSort and SutoShow can't be used with custom calculations that use positional references"

I love Pivots, they really save the day when you don't have good reporting tools/software, but this really drives me crazy - that I can't use the in built Pivot options to add a field showing growth from a previous measure - eg Year or Month, And... sort by descending or ascending...

Eg I want…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Link Pivot Table Timeline slicers with data slicers

I use pivot tables with "normal" slicers and with timeline slicers.
    If you add two normal data slicers they interact with each other in that if you make a selection in one slicer it filters the possible attributes in the second slicer.
    If you use a timeline slicer and select a given period, this does not filter the normal slicers to show only valid attributes for that period and vice versa.
    I want to be able to select a time period and for the slicers to only show attributes which have a value in that period. At the moment I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. DAX measure filter is not retained in excel pivot table show details sheet

DAX measure filter is not retained in excel pivot table show details sheet. Appreciate any help.

"I filtered for Application Status = "Active" in the measure and it showed the count correctly in pivot table (143),
    whereas when I double clicked pivot to see show details sheet, I saw not only "Active" but all statuses and the count is 211"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. It would like to be able to e-mail the results of a Pivot table to the relevant person/org without showing other organization's data.

Working at a SELPA, I have lots of private information that each school needs. I would like to automate the monthly mailing of their information - and only their information - so I don't have to separate it and make a new worksheet for each person, and then e-mail it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base