Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option of not aggregating in Pivot Tables.

I like the look and ease of using Pivot Tables, but would like to view actual values instead of aggregates. I've seen this suggestion appear on several other forums, but am surprised it has not been added as a feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug: wrong data from OLAP source

Incorrect values of dimension in pivot table sourced on OLAP cube (Microsoft SSAS 11.0.5569.0). The latest version without that bug is 16.0.6001.1068. Obviously we don’t know exact source of this bug, but most of the issues we discovered were on complex pivot tables with many attributes, partially displayed dimension’s hierarchy and without subtotals. Example of this bug occurring is in attached file ExcelBug. There are 2 exactly the same pivot tables (the table on the right hand side is basically copy of the table on the left hand side). After removing “Grand Total” on the table on the right hand…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Suppress Zero Values in Pivot Tables

Many other software programs that aggregate data in a similar manner as pivot tables allow or even default to an option that suppresses zero values. This would be extremely helpful to consolidate the table down when I am pivoting on data that has a lot of open dimensions that won't have values.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. be able to sort pivot fields when im using it like filter not only when im using it like rows

be able to sort pivot fields when im using it like filter not only when im using it like rows

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Excel Pivot Table issue: Expand issue

Hi Team,

I found an issue in excel.

When creating a pivot table and we have 4 options in rows like (Pending Status, Days in current status, Issue category, Pending person).
    1:- If we have days in current status like 11 and I expand that than all 11 will expand, if I close that than all 11 will close as per logic only that 11 should expand on which i'm clicking and same should close.

2:- If we have issue category like Doc issue and I expand that than all Doc issue will expand, if I close that than all…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Change the sum function to subtraction

Today when a pivot table is made and we ask you to add a total on some level, the excel adds. You could have an option to change the sum function to subtraction. For exemple I would like to substraction two lines, today I made de pivot tables, copy and paste the table and I add a substracion at the line subtotal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. File Options>Advanced>Data>Disable Autofit column width on PivotTable update

I would like to add my name to the many users who create pivot tables daily only to see column width auto-adjust on refresh, and having to go into "Pivot Table Options>Layout&Format>Autofit column widths on update" and uncheck the box for EACH individual pivot table. It would be fantastic to have a check box in File Options (under Advanced>Data where the rest of Pivot Table options are) to uncheck the box as a default.

A great thanks to John Michaloudis' podcasts and thanks to John Campbell's recommendation (JM podcast n.8) to use this forum to post ideas and suggestions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pivot text

Can "Don't aggregate" function be added in Value field of Pivot table,currently the value in this field is summarized by sum,count,average,max,etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Output a table from Power Pivot

Hello everyone,
    Would be great if would be possible also to get a table from power pivot aplication like you can do at power query.
    It would be helpfull in some day by day situation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Pivot Table "Merge & Center" option to be toggled per field in the field settings

Currently for Pivot Tables, you are only able to toggle "Merge and center cells with labels" for the entire report. In practice, we usually only want to merge and center the header fields.

This could be easily solved if there is an option under each field setting, similar to how you are allowed to change other layout options individually for each field currently. I imagine it shouldn't be too much work to follow the same logic as what's already in place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. error message pivot table field name is not valid

Please identify WHICH pivot table is causing the problem. when you have a spreadsheet with many many pivots on many tables, this error means that you have to manually search each pivot table until you find the one (or more) that is causing the problem. in fact, because pivot tables based on tables can get messed up if you delete table columns, even if you figure out which data set is causing the problem, you still have to manually adjust (change data) for each one of the pivots based on the table. Excel should adjust the data range on pivots…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Better Support for Analysis Services Tabular

It's about time to improve support for SSAS Tabular:
    1. Auto-generate DAX
    2. Avoid splitting a table into a "measure group" and "dimension". See how PBI Desktop handles metadata.
    3. Carry over data types so that users can create reports, such as show me invoices where Due Date is greater than ... Currently, all dimension table fields map to Text.
    4. Many customers have expressed interest to connect Excel tables directly to Tabular, bypassing Pivot Table, so they can use the column dropdowns and other Excel goodness.
    5. Support descriptions as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in…

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Power Query Advanced Editor and Formula Bar Intellisense

Add intellisense to the advanced editor and the formula bar for the Power Query M-Code.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please include power pivot in O365 Business

Please include Power Pivot in O365 Business

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Power Query to get parameters from cell values

With MS Query, I could replace a portion of the SQL code that would be executed with a "parameter" from a cell. I realize this opens up the possibility of code injection, but with proper input validation in Power Query, this should not be an issue. The way parameters are set now in Power Query, there is no way to dynamically get a value from a cell, only to either manually type it in, or get one from another query. There's also no way to pass the manually entered parameter to the SQL code, only to filter on results, which…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Pivot table case sensitive fields

In Pivot Table field settings let the user choose the option "Case Sensitive", which will separate rows (or columns) that are grouped together because of the way Pivot Table deal with text fields.
    It is most important for Salesforce users that retrieve objects ID's which are case sensitive (in their 15 characters mode).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Combined Slicers

Having a lot of slicers gets messy and they take up a lot of room. It would be nice if there were an option to have all slicers live in one slicer window, with a dropdown or tabs at the top to select which slicer to view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Pivot Table Management

It would be nice to have a way to manage multiple pivot tables similar to the way the name manager works, with a possible error log, in the case of overlapping or missing source data

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Refresh All for Pivots and data connections should have a way to set up the order of update

Refresh All for Pivots and data connections should have a way to set up the order - at least how it progresses from tab to tab, or from top to down on a sheet. Right now, it seems like a black hole on which pivot/tab is getting updated first and which one is last if I have a workbook with 10 tabs and close to 30 pivots and few data connections. I do not see a way to either set an order or find the order in which Refresh All is working.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base