Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Sort Pivot Tables based on multiple columns

I want to be able to sort various values I have selected in my Pivot table in addition to the rows and columns.

For example, in a pivot table representing code coverage, I have class and function as my rows, for my values I have lines of code and the percentage of code touched. In order to see where I should best focus my efforts, I want to see the functions with the most lines of code and the least code coverage, so I want to sort first by LoC (descending) and then by coverage percentage (ascending).

This doesn't appear…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Power Pivot: Make 'Hide from client tools' also hide columns from drill-down

Data models often include helper columns, which can be hidden from pivot table available fields using 'hide from client tools'.

However, if the end-user wants the underlying data and uses the drill-down functionality of a pivot table (double-clicking one of the values to open a new sheet with underlying data), they are presented with every column in that table in the data model.

The 'hide from client tools' option works to hide them from available fields in the pivot tables, but it would be nice if it also removed those columns from the new sheet of raw data created when…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create a formula to Display Data Source of Pivot Tables

I work with numerous pivot tables within one worksheet. Some have the same data source to generate the pivot table and some do not. It would be extremely beneficial if there was a way to display the source of the pivot table within a cell to use as a reference value. So create this either by a separate formula that displays the source criteria or if that is too difficult, maybe just allowing this to be a feature of the PivotTable Options and allow to 'show source' at the top of the pivot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add "Change Source Data" button to context menu for pivot table cells

Simply add a button to the right-click context menu for cells in a pivot table to refresh the pivot table. Having to go up to the ribbon (or Alt hotkey) is annoying.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. In DAX, allow variables to be named "Dimension"

In DAX, you cannot have a variable named "Dimension", despite "Dimension" not being a keyword or the name of any function. Please allow variables to be called "Dimension", or if this is not feasible, at least add this restriction to the documentation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Change "PowerPivot" to "Power Pivot" in the PowerPivot Settings window

Click on the Power Pivot tab in the Ribbon in Excel and click on Settings. In the window that appears, the old spelling "PowerPivot" is still used, even in the title bar. Please change these to "Power Pivot".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. In DAX, allow comments to exist at the beginning and end of a measure

Currently, if you try to add comments to the beginning or end of a measure, the comments will be silently removed when the user is done writing/editing the measure.

For example, in the measure below, the //1 and //3 are removed.
    Test:= //1
    (

0 //2

) //3

Interestingly, if you have a calculated column that is written similarly, such as the one below, then no comments are lost.
    = //1
    (

0 //2

) //3

Please fix this issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Pivot Tables function more like Data Tables

Data Tables are an excellent feature. From automatic extension to special range reference syntax to styles, they are a work of art. Please give pivot tables some of the same innovations. Replace GETPIVOTDATA with the table referencing syntax. Update the coloring to match the new table styles, or even better let us just use table styling on our pivots. Let us add columns via formulas in the worksheet instead of the calculated column dialog, just like extending a table. Oh and if we could have a non-vba way to auto-refresh them that would be great :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add ability to turn on Manual Calculation Mode in PowerPivot using VBA

When adding measures to a data model using VBA, It starts to get real slow as the number of measures gets high. Seems like it might be evaluating all existing measures after each additional one is added in. If we could turn off the PowerPivot version of auto-calc using VBA at the beginning of the macro, that might allow it to suppress the evaluation and just do it once at the end.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Filter by color in PivotTable

It's variety to filter than current.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add a Compatibility category for DAX functions

Ever since the introduction of variables to DAX, EARLIER and EARLIEST are no longer needed or recommended. Please move EARLIER and EARLIEST to a new Compatibility category to make their obsolescence clear to users. Over time, other functions will likely join these two.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. AutoFit tables in Power Pivot's Diagram View upon double-clicking on the table's edge

If the edge of a table is double-clicked, then the table should AutoFit in that direction (i.e. be as small as possible without cutting anything off). If the top or bottom edge is double-clicked, the table should be as short as possible without causing the vertical scroll bar to appear. If the left or right edge is double-clicked, the table should be as narrow as possible without cutting off the table name, any column name, or any measure name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow measures to be moved to different tables through Power Pivot's Diagram View

Currently, the only way to move a measure to a different table is through the Manage Measures window, which is accessible from the Power Pivot tab in Excel. Also, the Manage Measures window lets you move only 1 measure at a time, which is a pain if you want to rename a Power Query table that is loaded to the Data Model, since you must move all of its measures to another table, rename the table, and move all of the measures back.

Please allow measures to be moved to different tables through the Diagram View in the Power Pivot…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix the flickering tooltips for Power Pivot's Data View and Diagram View

In the bottom right corner of the Power Pivot window, there are 2 icons, which represent the Data View and the Diagram View. If you hover over the icon for the Data View, a tooltip that says "Grid" appears and flickers. If you hover over the icon for the Diagram View, a tooltip that says "Diagram" appears and flickers.

Please stop this flickering. Also, consider changing "Grid" to "Data" so that the tooltip is consistent with the Data View button in the Home tab of the Ribbon.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. AutoFit tables in Power Pivot's Diagram View by default

By default, tables in Power Pivot's Diagram View have the same width and height. One size does not fit all. Please AutoFit the tables by default so that each table is as small as possible without causing the vertical scroll bar to appear and without cutting off the table name, any column name, or any measure name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel should add automatic "Dashboard" templates design as an option in its template area

Excel should add automatic "Dashboard" templates design as an option in its template area

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Pivot Table details contain links as well as cell data

I link supporting documents to values contained in thousands of rows in a table. I build pivot views of the table data. It would be most valuable if you would copy the link as well as the value that is in the cell when you click on the pivoted value and you are presented with the details making up the value. This way you can see the data pivoted, click on the value and get the detail and then click on the link that is in the value cell to get to the supporting documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Do not show a red underline for valid DAX code

There are at least 3 cases when Power Pivot shows a squiggly red underline for valid DAX code:
    • IN operator (e.g. "Some text" IN VALUES('Table'[Column]) )
    • Table constructor (e.g. COUNTROWS({"a","b"}) )
    • TREATAS

Please remove the red underline for these cases and any other cases when the code is valid.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In DAX, make the associative functions accept an arbitrary number of column/scalar arguments

The aggregation functions (e.g. SUM, AVERAGE, VAR.P, etc.) all accept only a single column argument. MIN and MAX can alternatively accept exactly 2 scalar arguments. If more arguments are needed in any aggregation function, you must use the merging techniques mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggregate_function.

AND, OR, and CONCATENATE all only accept exactly 2 scalar arguments. If more arguments are needed, you must either use the operators (&&, ||, &) or nest multiple calls to the function (e.g. AND(AND(a,b),AND(c,d)) ). The operators create a visual inconsistency in code that is otherwise based mostly on function calls. Nested calls are difficult to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make it easier to change sum(values) from sum to count

Today when I change sum (values) from a sum to a count, I have to right click the field I added, and select "value field settings", which brings up a drop down that I then change to 'count'. I have to move the mouse quite a bit to complete this scenario - the right click is invariably lower right corner of the screen, and the dialog is in the center. If you are in a rush, or do alot of these, it tires your wrist out. Would be nice if I could do this without so much movement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base