Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add selected hierarchy level from PivotTable fields with drag and drop (instead of top level)

Drag and drop of a hierarchy sublevel from the PivotTable fields list to Filters/Rows/Columns should show the selected level.

Example:

We have a region hierarchy with two levels, continent and country.
    In the PivotTable Fields list, we see the field Region Hierarchy and can expand it to see the two fields Continent and Country.
    When a user wants to see the countries, he will drag the Country field to the Filters/Rows/Columns.
    But Excel always puts Continent there and then the user has to drill down to Country or hide the Continent field from Rows/Columns.

So Excel should drop the selected…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug: From PivotTable Fields, right click on hierararchy level, "Add to " doesn't add the selected field

There is a bug with hierarchy levels in the PivotTable Fields list with SSAS as a data source.

I have a tabular model with several dimension tables and hierarchies.
    In the Excel PivotTable Fields list, I navigate to a hierarchy and expand the levels.
    Right click on a sublevel, then a context menu allows to "Add to Report Filter", "Add to Row Labels" etc.
    Doing this, Excel adds a field from another hierarchy from a completely different dimension instead of the selected one.
    Possibly this depends on hidden fields in SSAS?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reword the choices for the positions of grand totals

When you have a PivotTable cell selected, go to the Design tab and then Grand Totals. The choices are:
    • Off for Rows and Columns
    • On for Rows and Columns
    • On for Rows Only
    • On for Columns Only

At a glance, the options visually look too similar. The change in capitalization is nauseating and the wording is confusing. When the grand totals are on for columns, the columns will be summarized in a grand total row. When the grand totals are on for rows, the rows will be summarized in a grand total column. You really need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Enable Pivot tables to automatically refresh after a query table or list object has updated - this is how Excel used to function until 2016

Until Excel 2016 (I believe), Pivot Tables automatically updated after a query table had refreshed. With the removal of this functionality many of our workbooks have been affected after our move from Office 2010 to office 365.

Can we please get this functionality back - not only did we use to rely on it, but in terms of a calculation chain, it makes perfect sense.

See also:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msoother-mso_o365b/excel-pivot-table-automatic-update/57ccd7dc-9ff7-4e5c-b892-ab18084b2738?messageId=7aafcff3-32c4-4883-a3e8-92b39831ad0f

Thank you

Richard

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Concatenate collapsed Pivot Table rows

When you collapse a row in a Pivot Table, all other rows to the right is displayed as blank.

It would be nice if the the collapsed labels are instead concatenated.

This is currently only possible with DAX and using M in Power Query.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix a cell with drop-down menu in order to move with a row after filtering in a PivotTable.

It would be good to ensure that the drop-down menu (list) you create in a specific cell moves along with the cell while sorting the rows according to the filter you are using in the PivotTable. (Something like fixation using $).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display the descriptions of Power Pivot tables and measures in places that make sense

Currently, measure descriptions can be viewed/edited only through the Manage Measures window (from the Power Pivot tab in Excel) or by right-clicking on the measure in the Data View in Power Pivot and selecting "Description…". Table descriptions can be viewed/edited only through the latter method. In other words, it is a lot of effort to view or edit descriptions, and you can view only one at a time. This makes them largely useless and very easy to forget about.

Please consider making the descriptions more accessible. Some examples of changes that can be made:
    • Show measure descriptions above the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. DAX FORMAT function to include Number colour

I would like the DAX Format function to pass Colour to displaying numbers. The FORMAT function allows you to format numbers using String like "#,##0.00;-#,##0.00", but I would like it to include Colour, Bold and Fill options. For example: "#,##0.00;[Red]-#,##0.00" would return a Red font colour when the number is negative.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. power query fuzzy match

Please include the option to show a similarity value for each match, as the Fuzzy Lookup add-in had it. Any time you do a fuzzy match you need to validate the results. Sorting by similarity make this much more efficient, you can ignore the 1.0's, and see if the threshold should be adjusted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. pivot table erroe when i have alot of pivot tables

I have a lot of pivot table

If I add a row to the top of one of my data source while I'm working and then I press refresh all, then it gives an error, and I don't know which of my pivots is wrong.

It's a good idea to specify which pivot table is faulty after the error, because I can't find the faulty pivot table among all these pivot tables.
    Thank you
    saeed samadi from iran

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow time format >24 h in Power Pivot and Power BI

In order to calculate monthly call times, one has to create an overly complicated DAX formula in order to show the times above 24 h correctly. As a result, it doesn't function as TIME, but as TEXT, and one cannot use it in charts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Number filters in Pivot Tables

Pivot table filters currently only allow you to manually select/deselect data. I want to filter large datasets with number filters (e.g. all values >X). This is a feature of the regular column filter tool; however, when you try to apply this to pivot tables, it creates all kinds of problems such as not properly managing grouped rows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add "Edit Measure" to right-click context menu for PivotTable Fields Values Pane

When I want to edit a PowerPivot measure, I generally want to edit a measure I'm already using.

I don't want to scroll through a whole bunch of tables in the fields list trying to find it. I just want to right-click on that Measure right from the PivotTable Fields Values Pane where I can already see it, and do it right from there.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. In DAX, rename TOTALMTD, TOTALQTD, and TOTALYTD to CALCULATEMTD, CALCULATEQTD, and CALCULATEYTD

The naming of these TOTAL functions went a step too far in trying to appear beginner-friendly and sacrificed clarity in the process. The mention of "TOTAL" can cause users to believe that summation is built into the functions and that they do not need to specify it explicitly, and users cannot deduce the functions' behaviour when something other than a total is desired. In reality, these functions calculate a given expression, which may or may not evaluate to a total.

Please replace the "TOTAL" in the names of these functions with "CALCULATE" to better reflect the behaviour and usage of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Ideas" - interface for customization confusing

"Which fields interest you the most?" checkboxes are confusing. They appear to operate as toggles but with confusing indicators.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Power Pivot: Make 'Hide from client tools' also hide columns from drill-down

Data models often include helper columns, which can be hidden from pivot table available fields using 'hide from client tools'.

However, if the end-user wants the underlying data and uses the drill-down functionality of a pivot table (double-clicking one of the values to open a new sheet with underlying data), they are presented with every column in that table in the data model.

The 'hide from client tools' option works to hide them from available fields in the pivot tables, but it would be nice if it also removed those columns from the new sheet of raw data created when…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. solver with data model

easy way to use solver together data model (do the calculation inside data model / faster)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please make "Insert Calculated Field" tab in PivotTable should be able to expand it. It is so small and inconvenient.

Please make "Insert Calculated Field" tab in PivotTable should be able to expand it. It is so small and inconvenient. It is almost impossible to insert long formulas there or to insert fields with long names,

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Button to identify referential integrity errors in Power Pivot

If the column on the "many" side of a relationship contains values that the column on the "one" side does not, then when the column on the "one" side is used in a PivotTable, an implicit (blank) will be used to represent these values. However, if a column that uses this (blank) is on the "one" side of multiple relationships, it can be difficult to find out which columns on the "many" side are causing the (blank) to appear.

A measure can always be created to report the offending columns, but it would be error-prone because each relationship would need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base