Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. slicer and time axis should effect each other

I use a PivotTable with a slicer for years and a time axis with months, quarters and years. Slicer and time axis have no effect in filtering each other. If I choose a range in time axis, the slicer should be filtered, too. And also using the slicer should effect the Settings in the time scale / axis.
    Thanks ;-)
    Andreas

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Slicers - override the pick list

Slicers are a great addition! Currently, slicers get their pick list from the Table / Pivot Table, of course. I'd like to be able to override this with a list of my own - from a range of cells.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Field name change hassle & "Generate GetPivotData" robustness

I'm impressed with the way that Excel handles names and references. If a name changes, then all instances of that name are changed. Similarly, if a cell moves, all references to that cell will update. The same can be said about sheet names and table names.

That is not the case with PivotTables. If a field name changes and you refresh the PivotTable, everything can go wrong. "Everything" includes:
    • Auto-generated GETPIVOTDATA formulas break
    • Slicers for that field disappear
    • The field is removed from the PivotTable
    • Calculated fields using that field break

Here is a test file: …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Slicers - Events

Add Events to Slicers - like ActiveXControls

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Grouping in Power Pivot reports

To be able to use Grouping in Power Pivot reports as is works in Pivottabels.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. IntelliSense for functions used in calculated fields and the Name Manager

Currently, when we go to use functions in the Name Manager or to define a calculated field, absolutely nothing pops up. We just have to know what we are typing. This is very unlike cells, which not only have IntelliSense, but there is also an option to construct formulas using the Function Arguments window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Go to Pivot table name

If I give an Excel-table a name, then I can use the Go-To function to find it. Why can’t I find named Pivot tables in the same list?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pivot Table Calculated Item

It is observed that the pivot "calculated item" feature has two serious drawbacks:
    (1) The calculation takes a long, long time compared to "calculated field" feature.
    (2) The calculated numbers generated via "calculated item" on the pivot table can be altered or defaced which does not happen when "calculated field" feature is used.
    The above drawbacks render the use of "calculated item" in pivots unusable. Can we address these?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Resizable timeline filter with sliding window

The timeline should be resizable. This means that the actual line of the timeline can get thicker or thinner, and the spacing between time periods should be adjustable.

Also, the timeline should allow the time range width to be fixed but the time range endpoints to change move, giving us a "sliding window". This could implemented by allowing the top or bottom edge of the chosen timeline range to be draggable (left and right are already used for expanding/contracting the range). This suggestion is based on OSIsoft's PI Coresight:
    https://youtu.be/qNCT6mZqq_g?t=160
    (Just watch for 3 seconds. The person in the video…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Change default calculation for pivot table items

When I drag new items into the values section of a pivot table, they always default to the 'Count' calculation. In my work, it's almost always 'Average' that I want though, and I'm left dragging a bunch of items in and changing them one by one in the dropdown. Annoying.

So, I'd ask you to consider adding one or both of the following options:
    1. Change the default calculation for newly added items
    2. Allow changing of calculation for multiple items at once (this would be particularly good if it let me change all the options for multiple items together)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please fix the bugs in pivot tables! (I am only using XL2010 so far).

There are loads of bugs and omissions in Pivot Tables (maybe already solved in the latest version).

1. If the data source range is updated to zero records (ie only the one row of column titles), Excel gives a useless error message and then displays the previous dataset's results instead of an empty pivot! Not only is this a potential security risk in a multiple user situation, but it means that all pivot table code has to be surrounded by workround code to add a null record to the range so that it doesn't fail.

2. If you double-click on…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Expand or contract cells in Worksheet when Pivot Table Resizes

It would be great if there was a setting in Pivot Tables that allowed it to grow or shrink as the Tables refreshes by increasing or decreasing the cells around the Table in the Worksheet. This would allow for much better Dashboarding where you could realistically have multiple bits of info vertically on a Worksheet rather than just horizontally.

As far as horizontally doing the same I suppose you could but it would allow for Cross-tabular Pivot Tables to expand to the right as well.

An alternative would be to allow for a Pivot Tables to appear inside a sub-worksheet…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Draggable fields directly on PivotTables

There is no doubt that PivotTables are powerful summary tools. However, the people that need the summaries are often those with little Excel skill.

I will also note that PivotTables suffer from combinatorial explosion for possible arrangements of fields. Each field can be placed in 1 of 4 areas (row, column, filter, nowhere), and order matters within the first 2.

Even though he have filters for each dimension of a PivotTable, we have Slicers to increase user-friendliness.

In the same light, I suggest adding handles next to each of the fields actually in the PivotTable. Then you drag the field…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Grouping per column in PivotTable reports

You can group rows in a PivotTable on both dates, text and numbers. Would be the grate with the same opportunity for columns.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable excel functions in Power pivot

when using power pivot, let me reference filter values to a single cell, so it can be changed once and apply to many calculated fields. or/and enable easy search replace, so maintenace of power pivot gets more managable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make it so that slicers can be tied to the dimensions of the cell(s) they are in and will resize automatically

This is currently a problem as when row/column dimensions change, the slicers don't stay tied to the cell(s) they are in.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Dynamic scrolling in pivot tables as seen on some webpage so that the current hierarchical level is always visible

Dynamic scrolling in pivot tables as seen on some webpage so that the current hierarchical level is always visible

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make Banded Rows actually work in Pivot Tables

I should be able to have banded rows in Pivot Tables. It is an option, but when I select "Banded Rows," no matter which style I choose, all of my rows follow the same style. It is ridiculous.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 12 13 14 16 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base