Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. too few

If this suggestion's title seems frustratingly undescriptive, then you already understand my point.

If, in a PivotTable, you try to add a calculated field that uses too few or too many arguments in a function, you get the error messages "too few" and "too many", respectively. Please make these messages more descriptive so then they are more helpful. Alternatively, integrate Power Pivot more into the main Excel and eliminate this type of calculated field entirely.

I came across these error messages when I accidentally wrote IFERROR incorrectly. For example:
    =IFERROR(Column1/Column2)
    =IFERROR(Column1/Column2,,0)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. How to lock shapes that surround a pivot slicer but don't disable slicer

I have a dashboard where I have shapes that surround my slicers to make it more visually appealing. I don't want the end user to move or edit the shapes and the slicers. I've also grouped the shapes and slicers together.

When I select the area that surrounds the shapes and slicers I use the 'review' tab and then select protect worksheet. Inside the protect worksheet dialog box I have selected the following:

Select locked cells
    select unlocked cells
    Use Pivot Table & PivotChart

I've also gone into the 'Format Slicer' options and under Position & Layout I've selected 'disable…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make 1:0..1 relationships work properly in PowerPivot

When the underlying database has 1:0..1 relationships (or just 1:1 relationships), PowerPivot doesn't recognise this and instead creates a 1:n relationship pointing in one direction or the other. This often messes up PivotTables working from the data model, resulting in an unwanted cross-join without filtering.

I end up having to go round these relationships, try to remember which way each of them are supposed to go as I don't entirely understand the logic, and reverse them. (On that note, please make it easier to reverse relationships in the Relationships menu).

It would be better just to allow 1:0..1 and 1:1…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Data connectivity with Oracle

Currently data connectivity with oracle is nightmare. Please make it easier for novice enterprise users

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a Blank Field to Pivot Tables

How many times have you had to copy and paste pivot tables to get them to look aesthetically pleasing because you need to enter in blank columns? By allowing for a "blank" column field to be added into pivot tables, you can take out the extra steps of making the pivots look pretty and can leave them in their native state.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Confidence Formula for Pivot Table

All the values needed to calculate the confidence are currently available in Pivot Table functions, but the Confidence itself has to be manually written. It would be great to have that natively available.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Link "Timeline" filters with pivot table [Report] Filters

Link "Timeline" filters with pivot table [Report] Filters similar to how "Slicer" filter and Report filters are joined.

A pivot table can be filtered by timeline but the report filters would indicate (All) date values are present.

This creates an issue when drilling-to-detail of Timeline filtered pivot tables; all data would be output, regardless of timeline selection.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I can not update a xl10 datamodell to xl13 or xl16!

I would love to have a update tool that inspects the datamodell. Gives hints how to fix it, so that itll be ready for update.

At the moment all the times i try to update a xl10 datamodell to 13 or 16 i get a com error and the import crashes!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. manage pivotcache to reduce file size

to used the same pivotcache for pivottable, to correct the misallocations

Printing or reading allocations like relations in Access

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Connect to a Data Model !

It would be massively useful to be able to connect to a Data Model in a workbook from a separate one
    So if you were using Power Query one of your data sources could be a data model in a workbook
    This would expose all the tables within the Data Model and let you connect to one as your source

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Top 10 filter + extra selection of your choice

It is not possible to compare some item in a group with the top x of the that group in the same pivot table. It is useful to give some context to that that item when we produce reports. e.g. top 10 economies by GDP + the GDP of Cameroon.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Direct Query to Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, SQL Server

I want to connect Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, and SQL Server by Direct Query of Data source.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. provide the user a way to track getpivot() error modes

I and my department use iferror(getpivot(...),) a lot, using pivot tables as a reporting ENGINE from which my reports select relevant data. The iferror is the tremendous function that makes this feasible (allowing for economical formulas that do not need to specify the complex getpivots twice, as in iserr() handling). I expect Iferror to kick in because the underlying piece of data is not there at times (e.g. in on/off or time dependent data sets/streams). But it may kick in when the user tweaks the pivot table structure and inadvertently causes some of the many getpivots to fail. This is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Data entry in PivotTables

PivotTables aggregate data based on repeated values in the source table's columns (e.g. sum of sales for all Canadian stores). However, this repetition makes data entry difficult. People prefer to enter data in a crosstab. Much like a PivotTable, a crosstab replaces repetition with row and column headings.
    Table versus crosstab picture: http://i.stack.imgur.com/YwlsC.png

Currently, PivotTables are meant for summary only and not data entry. If you want to enter data in a crosstab and summarize it in a PivotTable, you have to create an intermediate query table using Power Query (see the link below). However, you cannot rearrange the row…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add basic formatting in measures pane

I would really like the ability to format the background/foreground colours of measures I have created.

Like how we can colour a cell in Excel, but just in the Measure pane of the Manage data model window, only to keep track of things I'm working on/ highlight measures that pertain to a part of the business logic etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. expanding more dynamic with grouped items in pivot table.

I have many reports where I would like to group by month, quarter and year. I would like the ability to expand one of the years to months while leaving the other years showing Quarters. Today when I expand a quarter, it expands it for all years. Yuck!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Data Model Reports

I think it would be highly useful if you could easily export the contents of a table in the Data Model
    This would be similar to how you can generate Reports is MS Access
    Quite often there is the need to scrutinise / get at the raw data that sits in a table. The only way toi do this currently is to use some VBA to export the entire contents as csv as kindly provided by KDJ

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Editing calculated fields from the PivotTable Fields pane & renaming calculated fields

It has always confused me that I can see my calculated fields in the PivotTable Fields pane but cannot edit them from there. Instead, I have to go "Analyze" tab, "Fields, Items, & Sets", "Calculated Field", and choose the calculated field from the dropdown list. We should be able to add, modify, and delete calculated fields from the PivotTable Fields pane, perhaps through a right-click menu.

We should also be able to rename a calculated field. Currently, if you "rename" a calculated field, the "Modify" button becomes "Add". In other words, to rename a calculated field, you have to add…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix the problem with multiple Groupings on the same field in Pivot tables

Until Excel 2003 the Pivot Table Wizard asked the user if he/she would like to keep the new pivot table independent from the others (separated data cache). This allowed i.e. to create different groupings on the same field. Starting from Excel 2007 this option has disappeared from the pivot creation gui interface. Please re-add it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base