Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PowerPivot Drill-down details format

When double-clicking on PowerPivot, export the data in the format on the data model. It is a big pain to have numbers and dates exported as text.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Relative path in Pivot Table source

Pivot Tables store the full absolute path to their source even if a relative path is specifically given. Please allow for the usage of relative paths. This is very useful for mainly 2 use cases: 1) Work on shared files stored on servers across remote teams (different person = different "My Documents" absolute path). 2) Making templates with prepared Pivot Tables.

Please!!!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fiscal years and PivotTables

It should be easier to display months in their proper fiscal year order, with a user defined starting or ending month, rather than only in calendar year order.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Apply slicer criteria to drill-to-detail output

Apply filter criteria entered via slicer to the drill-to-detail output from a pivot table.

Unless a "sliced" field also exists within the corresponding pivot table, filters applied via slicer do not carry over to drill-to-detail. Confusing for dashboard users and cumbersome and silly to create work arounds.

Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow the pivottable to not aggregate data (e.g. show values)

I need to create a matrix in Excel that doesn't aggregate (e.g. Sum/Count) values. The question of how to do this has been asked dozens of times online over the last couple of years, but still there is no solution. Can Excel therefore produce a plain matrix, or allow pivottables to output plain (unmodified) values from the data field list?

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

info needed  ·  32 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PivotTable-able crosstab data entry

PivotTables and data entry butt heads with each other.

Data is easiest to enter in a crosstab format (headings on rows and columns). The row and column headings eliminate having to specify them for each value.

For example, a fuel price table:

.........Canada..................................USA....................................
    .........Diesel...Gasoline...Propane...Diesel...Gasoline...Propane

If I want to specify $50 as the Canadian diesel price for 2013, I enter "$50" at the intersection of the correct headings.

However, to be able to use PivotTables, the data must be moved to "record" format (no row headings, only column (field) headings, and a lot of repeated information). This is…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Auto Refresh Data for Pivot Tables

I was there was an option to auto refresh pivot tables when data is changed in the referencing data table. I am trying to move massive tabular spreadsheets which rely on cross linking formulas across several worksheets to data tables which leverage pivot tables to produce the data. The data in the data tables can change very frequently and my team need to see the totals (pivot tables) in real time. The only way to do this right now is with VBA macros which isnt reliable it seems.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable the Time Level functionality of the Timeline Slicer for Locked Worksheets

Whenever you lock the worksheet the Time Level functionality of the Timeline Slicer is no longer an option to use. As a developer this negates the ability of having controls in place so that the end users do not alter the document.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to change report connections of multiple Slicers at once

If I select multiple Slicers linked to the same source, then I should be able to change their report connections all at once. Since that is not the case, I either have to change the report connections one Slicer at a time or create the linked PivotTables by copying and pasting from one that already has the Slicers that I want linked.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow Pivot Tables to be referenced via named range similar to Excel Tables

Currently Excel tables are automatically added to the named ranges in a spreadsheet. Pivot Tables should be as well. Currently you can set up a dynamic named range for it, but there isn't a great way to do this otherwise.

If Pivot Tables were automatically added to the named range space, this would help improve usability for most users, especially as the pivot table report changes size. VBA already has the objects for this (DataBodyRange, etc.) so hopefully it's not that hard to do.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Dynamic PivotTable Data Range (so you don't have to keep changing the range to add new rows and columns!)

When you create a PivotTable, Excel selects the range of contiguous cells. But if you add columns or rows either above/below or to the left/right you need to reselect the data range to refresh your PivotTable.

My normal workaround for this is to create a dynamic named range, and get the PivotTable to refer to that.

eg
    Named Range DATA
    =OFFSET($A$1, 0, 0, COUNTA($A:$A), COUNTA($1:$1))

This works but I have to remember to set it up each time.

It would be nice to have an option when creating a new PivotTable, to select something like "Make range dynamic?" that automatically…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. DAX editor, Press F5 to goto measure

In the Dax Editor it would be handy if pressing F5 could bring up a list of all the measures and clicking on the measure would take us to it.

Pressing F5 already brings up a list of columns of the active tab, but Measures would make a great addition to this facility

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to insert a Blank Column in Pivot table

The ability to insert/add a COLUMN in pivot table, it will provide clarity to a report. This function will be similar to insert Row currently exist.
    Specially , when one is building a financial report using a pivot table, this feature will become very handy

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. sort multiple fields in a pivot table at the same time

The issue that consume a lot of time and is highly frustrating is this: We have a pivot table with multiple rows on the rows area, for example, Category | Subcategory| Commodity and then we have the $Sales value in the Value area of the pivot. If we were to Sort in descending order by $Sales all of these row fields, we need to go to each row fields and do it one by one -> Highlight cell, right click, sort descending by $Sales, then again for the next row field (Sub-category) and lastly again for Commodity. If we were…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Simplify creating multiple pivot tables from same source data

In order to create multiple pivot tables from the same source data you currently have to 1)go back to the source data each time and create a new pivot table, or 2)copy the first pivot table, paste it and change your field selections.
    I suggest a "create another pivot table" option to allow you to make another pivot table from the same source data as the current pivot table you have selected.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix the problem with multiple Groupings on the same field in Pivot tables

Until Excel 2003 the Pivot Table Wizard asked the user if he/she would like to keep the new pivot table independent from the others (separated data cache). This allowed i.e. to create different groupings on the same field. Starting from Excel 2007 this option has disappeared from the pivot creation gui interface. Please re-add it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Build a Pivot Table from the Source Data Sheet

When creating a pivot table, a lot of time is spend navigating between the source data sheet, and the sheet the pivot table is on. It would be great to have the field list appear on the source data sheet. You could put a button on the field list or in the ribbon that allows you to jump to the source data sheet and keep the field list open. It is great to be able to see the data in the fields when building a pivot table, as the field name does not always give you enough info to know…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Record notes on a Pivot Table that transfer back to the source data

My team frequently adds notes in the first column to the right of pivot tables to document actions taken on that particular line item. If the data is sorted or filtered, those notes are lost. I would love the ability to add a blank "Notes" field to a Pivot Table, and have whatever is inputted in that column transfer back to the source data.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow Excel desktop to connect directly to Power BI SSAS Connector Models as well as standalone models that have been saved in Power BI.

Excel should be able to connect to the same models that Power BI can via the SSAS Connector. Excel should also be able to connect to models/files saved in Power BI like it can with models saved in SharePoint on-premise.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Saving PivotTable configurations

Sometimes, you want multiple PivotTables from the same source data. I already mentioned here:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10733964-draggable-fields-directly-on-pivottables
    that the number of PivotTable configurations can get overwhelming even for a small number of fields.

I suggest giving us the ability to save different PivotTable configurations so then we either don't have to modify an existing PivotTable or don't have to have multiple PivotTables. This would be a beginner-friendly way to toggle between multiple summaries.

This post is based on this one:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10738527-simplify-creating-multiple-pivot-tables-from-same

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base