Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Changing a power pivot calculated column using VBA

Dear Excel Team,

When working with millions of data rows power pivot is definitely the right tool.
    However, all my research came up with the same result that changing a calculated column in power pivot using VBA is not possible.
    Here an example where we would like to change a calc. column via VBA. We need to alter many different settings (based on several input columns) in order to find the optimal operating point.
    It would be wonderful if this could be considered.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix Preserve Formatting

Is it some kind of a glitch with pivot tables? The "preserve formatting" button is checked but the issue still keeps happening. I create a pivot table, I format it, I save it. I close it. I open it again, refresh the data and not all but some of the formatting is gone. I have noticed this issue for years in previous versions of Excel as well (2007, 2010). Right now I'm working with Excel 2013. Another issue is that when you choose to "Repeat all item labels" it also doesn't stay after refreshing once you close and open the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Be able to group DAX measures

It is common in data models have different indicators grouped by concepts. It would be very useful to have this concept without having to create dummy tables to be able to group them.

As an example, in a data model we can have sales, purchases, stocks, production financial ratios, profitability ratios, management ratios ... etc.

Now the measures are associated with the tables and the clients are lost in the data model.

It would be fantastic if the measures could have properties and be able to group them by different concepts and not by the tables in which they were…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Stop ******* with Pivot tables

It's great you add new features, but make them optional. I hate having to ungroup and don't want to deal with a 30 stop process to update my Reg. Make an easy on off if you decide to with things. Also, its a **** pain to select "Classic Pivot" each time. Just let us choose a default. Keep up the innovation but allow us to tailor your wonderful tool to our needs and uses.....that's why we use it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Expand/collapse nested "user defined" hierarchies like attribute hierarchies (OLAP)

Nested attribute hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed. If a user defined hierarchy is nested with attribute hierarchies, only the user defined hierarchy could be expanded and collapsed.

I suggest, that nested hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed indepedet from the type of hierarchy.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Pivot layout spacer column

I would like to be able to insert a spacer column for purely layout purposes.
    It would be nice to be able to do this without fiddling around with "dummy" columns and such.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Slicers to apply Top 10, Above / Below Average, Greater than / Less than / between opeators

Give options is a slicer that can apply Top 10 , above / below average, greater than / less than and other options available in a normal drop-down of a filter, this will replace the ancient user interface completely

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. powerpivot

Our product is delivered as an Excel add-in because most of our users are in finance and Excel is their preferred operating environment.

Our customers end up with large amounts of clean, structured data in their applications and we would like to give them easy access to it using the MS Power BI stack.

In principle users could gain access to this data themselves using the various capabilities that MS has built into Power BI but there really is no reason for the users to do this heavy lifting themselves. Our application contains all of the meta-data about their application…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Useful to group pivots vertically

It's currently easy to group a series of dates into weeks or months vertically but not so easy horizontally

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pivot Table : Remove File reference from Data Source - BUG

The Pivot tables created in a workbook - With a Named Range reference or Direct Cell range reference to a worksheet of the same workbook - does NOT work when the File is copied with a different name.

In the copied file, (Analyze, Change Data Source), contains the path of original file name. This causes a problem when a template workbook is distributed to many users. Even if the Named Range is restricted only to the Workbook or even a specific worksheet. It still stores the Workbook reference in the Data Source. I also tried "Save as" with different file…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Search for Pivot Table fields when creating a Calculated Field

As per the ability to search for Pivot Table Fields within the field list tab - this ability should be extended to the popup window when creating a Calculated Field.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. ability to have multiple relationships between tables in power pivot

ability to have multiple relationships between tables in power pivot

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. In PivotTables with many Value fields it is annoying to change them all from SUM to COUNT. Make this easier.

In PivotTables with many Value fields it is annoying to change them all from SUM to COUNT. Make this easier.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When using pivots based on data models, create "combined" drill through sheets by double clicking on pivot grand totals

Based on all existing Relationships in the data model, The "combined" drill through sheet should show all columns from all sources where a relationship exists.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add versatility to Report Filters for pivot table date fields

Currently, the Autofilter function for spreadsheet tables, when used on a date field, allows for selection by year, month, day, or even prescribed ranges; but Report Filter for pivot tables only allows selection by day. Please add the same date filtering capabilities for pivot table Report Filters as are available with Autofilter.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Synchronized attributes in Pivot Table's report filters

I would like to drag attribute from a hierarchy into pivot table's report filters, as it can be done through Slicer.
    In such way I will have synchronized attribute (e.g If I have Year and Quarter into report filters and I filter Year=2016 I will see into Quarter's report filter only quarters belonging to 2016).

Thanks!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. How to lock shapes that surround a pivot slicer but don't disable slicer

I have a dashboard where I have shapes that surround my slicers to make it more visually appealing. I don't want the end user to move or edit the shapes and the slicers. I've also grouped the shapes and slicers together.

When I select the area that surrounds the shapes and slicers I use the 'review' tab and then select protect worksheet. Inside the protect worksheet dialog box I have selected the following:

Select locked cells
    select unlocked cells
    Use Pivot Table & PivotChart

I've also gone into the 'Format Slicer' options and under Position & Layout I've selected 'disable…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Data connectivity with Oracle

Currently data connectivity with oracle is nightmare. Please make it easier for novice enterprise users

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a Blank Field to Pivot Tables

How many times have you had to copy and paste pivot tables to get them to look aesthetically pleasing because you need to enter in blank columns? By allowing for a "blank" column field to be added into pivot tables, you can take out the extra steps of making the pivots look pretty and can leave them in their native state.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Confidence Formula for Pivot Table

All the values needed to calculate the confidence are currently available in Pivot Table functions, but the Confidence itself has to be manually written. It would be great to have that natively available.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base