Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring Power Pivot closer to Power BI Desktop Functionality

Development for Power Pivot for Excel seems to have stopped around 2016. TREATAS got added as a DAX function that works, but it never got added to Intellisense, and that was nearly 3 years ago.

Today, the two measure editors (still no idea why there are different ones) are a very VERY poor substitute for the fantastic DAX editor in Power BI Desktop. It is a real pain to properly tab and indent in the Excel Measure editor(s).

In the last year there have been about a dozen new DAX functions and several updated functions per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/new-dax-functions but NONE of…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "Edit Measure" to right-click context menu for PivotTable Fields Values Pane

When I want to edit a PowerPivot measure, I generally want to edit a measure I'm *already* using.

I don't want to scroll through a whole bunch of tables in the fields list trying to find it. I just want to right-click on that Measure right from the PivotTable Fields Values Pane where I can already see it, and do it right from there.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. slicer red x

FIX SLICER RED X ON FILTER
    Since upgrading to Office 365, all my slicers now have red X on the filter button, regardless of any filtering. In 2016, the X turned red only when the slicer was filtered, otherwise it was greyed out. Now, in 365, ALL slicers ALWAYS have a red x. No way of scanning quickly to see which slicers are filtered. They all LOOK like they are filtered, whether they are or not.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please make "Insert Calculated Field" tab in PivotTable should be able to expand it. It is so small and inconvenient.

Please make "Insert Calculated Field" tab in PivotTable should be able to expand it. It is so small and inconvenient. It is almost impossible to insert long formulas there or to insert fields with long names,

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Percentile added to pivot table functions

Please please please add the percentile function to Pivot Tables! I spend spend so much time manually calculating percentiles.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add box to specify name for PivotTable at creation, rather than after

When adding a PivotTable (or the non-Pivot variety of table for that matter) it would be helpful if the box that confirms which data you want and where to place the table would also allow a name to be specified at this point.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. List TREATAS as a DAX function

As SQLBI points out on their DAX Guide page for TREATAS (https://dax.guide/treatas/), TREATAS can be used in Excel but does not appear in the list of functions or in IntelliSense. Please treat TREATAS the same as the other DAX functions that Power Pivot supports.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Expand Pivot Tables without overwriting existing data beneath or to the right of table

With all the queries on the internet, we assume there is no built-in option to prevent pivot tables from overwriting data beneath the table during refresh and expansion. Is that correct?

Given that Excel has options for 'inserting' rows, why in the world would Microsoft NOT provide a pivot table expansion/contraction option for inserting or deleting rows from within the refreshed table without overwriting data beneath or to the right of the table?

It is also interesting that inserting rows into a regular Excel table, using the TAB key in the last row, can add rows by expanding the table…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Be able to insert a PivotTable or PivotChart from the Power Pivot tab in Excel's Ribbon

Currently, the only way to add a PivotTable or PivotChart that is based on the Data Model is to use the "PivotTable" button in the Home tab of the Power Pivot window. This button should also appear in the Power Pivot tab in Excel's Ribbon.

When I work with Power Pivot, I'll do all of the Data Model work first, using only a few PivotTables for debugging purposes, and once I am confident that everything is correct, then I'll go crazy with making all of the final PivotTables and PivotCharts. This involves a lot of back-and-forth with the Power Pivot…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. In DAX, generalize the aggregation iterator functions (SUMX, MINX, etc.)

There are many aggregation iterator functions in DAX (SUMX, MINX, etc.). Their concept is the same: evaluate an expression for each row of a table and aggregate the results.

Instead of blowing up the function list with functions like these, there should either be a generic aggregation iterator function that accepts the aggregation function as an argument, or a generic iterator function that covers the iteration step but not the aggregation step (i.e. it returns a list of values to be fed to the "normal" aggregation functions).

The functions would look like this:
    AGGREGATE(AggregationFunction, Table, Expression)
    X(Table, Expression)

So instead…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. In DAX, combine aggregation functions with their iterator counterpart

Many of the aggregation functions in DAX come in pairs. For example, SUM and SUMX, or MIN and MINX. The "not X" functions aggregate a single column and the "X" functions evaluate an expression for each row of a table and aggregate the results.

Using SUM as an example, why not just have SUM act like both SUM and SUMX and then SUMX can be deprecated? If the 1st argument is a column name, then it should act like SUM. If the 1st argument is a table, then it should act like SUMX.

This would greatly declutter the list of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow the direct change of capitalization of measure names

If you rename a measure, and you only changed the capitalization of some letters (e.g. rename a measure called "Test" to "test"), Power Pivot will throw an error saying that a measure or column with that name already exists. This happens in the measure grid in the Power Pivot window and in the Manage Measures window. The workaround is to rename the measure to a temporary name where more than the capitalization is changed, and then rename the measure to the desired name.

Please fix this issue and allow capitalization of measure names to be changed directly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow slicers on protected sheets to be USED but not edited

When we protect a worksheet, we can choose whether to edit objects.

...If we uncheck this box, slicers can't be used. They become useless decoration.

...If we check this box, slicers and all other objects on the sheet, can be selected, moved, resized, and deleted.

Please allows us to protect our objects while also allowing us to use our slicers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. change measure name globally

If you rename a Measure in Excel, that name change should automatically trickle down through any downstream measures that reference that initial measure like in Power BI, instead of simply breaking your model.

As it stands, if I rename an upstream measure I also need to edit ALL instances of that name in downstream measures.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Select Pivot Table by name

I would like to have the possibility to select a PivotTable by name.

In a PivotTable chart, the source tells you what is the PivotTable name but then, you have so select all your PivotTables one by one to find the correct PivotTable.
    So if you can add a tool that is able to select a PivotTable by name, it will save a lot of time.

Thanks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Dynamic Arrays to reference Pivot Table

We often want to further do further calculations and data comparisons on pivot table results. While I'm sure there is lots to do "under the hood" to accomplish this, it would be great if a dynamic array formula could reference the results of a pivot table so further calculations could be made. Currently a "#REF!" error is shown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Include database search functions like AND / OR / NOT in the pivot table search function within the filter section

In databases when searching for key words you can use filters like AND, OR and NOT to refine your search. When using the filter section of a pivot table to search for key words this function is not available which means if you search for the word 'strength' for example but would also like to include 'strong', this must be done in independent searches with no way of knowing which results include both words.

remedying this would make the search function more efficient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a modeless PowerPivot Measures Pane (or make the existing one modeless)

Why is the PivotTable Fields Pane non-modal, but the #PowerPivot Measures dialog modal?

I LIVE in that Measures dialog. I ALWAYS want to have it open. And I want to be able to park it permanently over in Monitor 1 where it can merrily not obscure my Dashboard like my Fields pane doesn't.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show pivot table total above heading

Often there are hundreds or thousands of rows in a pivot table. To see the column total we need to scroll to the bottom of the report. Please add an option to show the column totals above the headings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Power Pivot: Make 'Hide from client tools' also hide columns from drill-down

Data models often include helper columns, which can be hidden from pivot table available fields using 'hide from client tools'.

However, if the end-user wants the underlying data and uses the drill-down functionality of a pivot table (double-clicking one of the values to open a new sheet with underlying data), they are presented with every column in that table in the data model.

The 'hide from client tools' option works to hide them from available fields in the pivot tables, but it would be nice if it also removed those columns from the new sheet of raw data created when…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base