Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display pivot table headers in the columns headers

With the tables, if the header is not visible, Excel displays the headers of the table in the columns headers (see the picture attached)

It will be great to have the same behaviour with the pivot tables

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow non-calculated data in pivot tables

There are times when I need to add a column to a pivot table that just shows the value from the field without calculation. For example, part number and part name. I will setup the the pivot table to summarize by part name, but I need the part number to show up in a column, not as a sub-item of the part name in the first column.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring Power Pivot closer to Power BI Desktop Functionality

Development for Power Pivot for Excel seems to have stopped around 2016. TREATAS got added as a DAX function that works, but it never got added to Intellisense, and that was nearly 3 years ago.

Today, the two measure editors (still no idea why there are different ones) are a very VERY poor substitute for the fantastic DAX editor in Power BI Desktop. It is a real pain to properly tab and indent in the Excel Measure editor(s).

In the last year there have been about a dozen new DAX functions and several updated functions per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/new-dax-functions but NONE of…

119 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Preserve Pivot Table layout if field was renamed in source table

Hello,

Background

1. Create table:

|Date|Number|
    |01.01.2020|10|
    |02.01.2020|20|

1. Create pivot table based on table from p.1.

2. Drag field "Date" to rows of pivot table.

3. Drag field "Number" to columns.

Problem

1. Rename field "Date" to "Date 1".

2. Update Pivot Table.

Field "Data" has been removed from Pivot Table because it's been renamed to "Data 1". Now you need to manually add this "Date 1" back to Pivot Table.

Proposal

Based on example from "Background" and "Problem" sections:

1. Don't remove field from Pivot Table if it's been renamed.

2. Rename field in Pivot Table according to a new name in source table and don't…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Power Pivot: Enable one to one relationships

It is often the case that I have two large tables both with the same unique identifier columns, one as my main table the the other as my lookup table to fetch more information about a certain item. When I try to create a one to one relationship between them power pivot malfunctions and fetches and displays all the rows in the lookup table for every row in the main table. Please fix this!

Power BI has this functionality and it would be great if Power Pivot had it as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power Pivot: Add option to prevent clearing all slicer filters on a certain pivot table

There is often a LOT of data behind the scenes in a pivot table and so adding this feature would prevent accidentally loading thousands of rows into a single worksheet and slowing down excel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. There must be option of having Grand Total row in the top of pivot table

There must be option of having Grand Total row in the top of pivot table

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pivot Table - Value Field Setting: No "Sum of..." please

Pivot Table: Value Field Setting

Show just the value (no stats). Remove "Sum of", "Count of" from pivot tables and charts.
    Pivot Tables are Fantastic Tools to quickly filter and display data, but I have to run VBA every time I do a new selection to remove the wording "Sum of..." or what ever the default is...
    Please assist
    Thank you
    John Murray

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create a better shortcut for pivot table creation

Create a better shortcut for pivot table creation. Currently the shortcut I most use is ALT+N+T to create a table and immediately use ALT+N+V to use that table to create a pivot table. However there was a recent introduction of the need to do ALT+N+V+T. Bad move. Table creation and Pivot table creation deserve more love in the form of a better shortcut.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Increase maximum limit for characters in a table or column name in data models

Can you please increase the maximum limit for characters in a table or column name for data models?

The maximum limit is 100 characters as per this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/data-model-specification-and-limits-19aa79f8-e6e8-45a8-9be2-b58778fd68ef

I would very much like to see a higher limit, say 256 characters.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Calculating sum of non numerical values in pivot

I often use Pivot for large datasets that also contain repeating non-numeric cell inputs.

If I want to know the sum of those non numeric inputs, there is no function currently that can do that.

Pivot needs to be able to give the user the sum of unique values, such as names, without adding other parts from data.

For example:
    Drag some part of non numeric data (example: company names) to Pivot rows,

Pivot then gives the sum/is capable of giving sum of unique values without adding other data.
    As a result it shows how many times the input (example:company…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Median to Pivot functions.

There is no Median in Pivot functions.
    There is a need for calculating median values /w standard functions

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel Pivot Tables - Automatically Fix Failed Date Grouping

I often import tables with a Date column. I created a table in the sheet and then create a Pivot table. Easily 90%+ I can't Group the Dates in the pivot table. Then there is the hunt to find the "BAD" date(s). My feature request is add a button to Excel's pivot table to either 1) fix the problem in the Pivot table so the dates can be grouped or 2) identify the BAD date(s) and tell me how to fix them. If there is more than one BAD date for differing reasons tell me how to fix each individually.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Data model: delete table column

A common situation when working with Power Query and the Data Model is that a Power Query query loads data to the Data Model.

What can easily happen is that a mistake is made in Power Query, leading to an additional column (perhaps just a slightly mis-named version of an existing column) being included in the query result. The Data Model automatically adds this column to the corresponding table in the Data Model. However: when the user tries to correct her error in Power Query (removing the additional, erroneous, column), she gets a data load error when running the query:…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Duplicate measure in Manage Measures window

Duplicate measure in Manage Measures window. Many measures have almost identical measure code with the exception of a single criteria. In these circumstances it would be nice to have a feature to duplicate a measure with the same format etc. Maybe it is possible to add a Duplicate Measure button to the right of the "Delete" button it the Manage Measures Window? (ref attached file)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Default pivot table's to default to "Sum" rather than "Count"

This was requested on Dec 15: "I would like the default on pivot tables to go to "Sum" rather than "Count" or have an option for the user to select what the default is."

Request was declided on Jan 13 as the default settings and handling is defined and deemed appropriate.

The "bug" that people are dealing with is however: when a blank is part of the numerical dataset over which a pivot table is created, the ruling now defaults to count rather than sum. It would be better if the source cell is numeric, yet blank (empty), the default…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Default PivotTable format

Set our pivots to automatically default to a specific format, i.e., accounting? Regardless of the number format, the pivot is always a general format that I have to change to accounting. To be able to set a default format would save time!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a HYPERLINK function to DAX

Hyperlinks in PivotTables and PivotCharts would make them much more powerful. Hyperlinks could go in the values, headers, axis categories, legend items, etc. That is, hyperlinks should work with both calculated columns and measures.

Examples of uses of hyperlinks in PivotTables and PivotCharts:

• Calculated column example: Add a hyperlink to each site of an organization. The hyperlink could lead to a web page about that particular site or a folder containing files for that site.

• Measure example: In a PivotTable, track the existence of translated versions of web pages, courses, etc.
    Row headers: web page
    Column headers: language …

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add mean (median)

Pivot Tables seem to only allow averages, but not mean (median). When dealing with data with outliers, this is very frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base