Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better Support for Analysis Services Tabular

It's about time to improve support for SSAS Tabular:
    1. Auto-generate DAX
    2. Avoid splitting a table into a "measure group" and "dimension". See how PBI Desktop handles metadata.
    3. Carry over data types so that users can create reports, such as show me invoices where Due Date is greater than ... Currently, all dimension table fields map to Text.
    4. Many customers have expressed interest to connect Excel tables directly to Tabular, bypassing Pivot Table, so they can use the column dropdowns and other Excel goodness.
    5. Support descriptions as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in…

53 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add Roles to Power Pivot

Currently, the "roles" functionality, which enables row-level security, is available in tabular data models and Power BI desktop. I would like to use this feature in Power Pivot. To elaborate, I'd like to load a full data set, and have Power Pivot filter the data model shown to the current user, based on their security profile. I can set this fairly quickly in Power BI Desktop, not sure why it isn't an option for Power Pivot.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Expand/Collapse function in pivot charts for the 'Legend' (Pivot Column Group)

Expand/Collapse function in pivot charts for the 'Legend' (Pivot Column Group)

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make "Disable Automatic Grouping of Date/Time columns" configurable within the pivot table ribbon

I need to disable/enable frequently for reporting and it is frustrating to dig through advanced options. After I toggle the option I have to copy my data to a new workbook for the setting to take effect. I should be able to turn this feature on and off within the pivot table ribbon, without opening a new workbook.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add the ability to run percentiles in pivot tables

I see a request already to add the ability to run medians in pivot tables--would love to be able to do this, and also to run other percentiles.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pivot table format division wise colouring and Merge centre

On pivot table, a new format can be include to show a report in column and row.
              For eg: when a pivot report prepared for country/state wise, eg. India should be in Merge-center & its states should be in below row;

India
              TN KER KAR AP

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• power query load to table auto name tabs with query name

When you create a query and load to a table, automatically name the tab with the name of the query. This could be a configurable option to check box in either query settings or in the options section.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Grand Totals on Stacked Column/Bar Pivot Charts

MOST of the time I do a Pivot Chart using stacked columns, I want to be able to see a Total for the entire stack. It should be a very simple, intuitive way to do it, but seems like a huge workaround for something that should be a given. Either as Data Labels or as an option to add the Grand Totals as a series to the PC.

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add an option in "pivot table" to sort data same as the "original order"

when creating pivot table it will sort data
                    A-Z, Z-A, or MANUALLY
                    it will be great if you add another option to allow the sorting the same order as they were. "original order"

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Choose wheter you want to also copy workbook model or not when copying worksheet

When you copy a worksheet that has tables or pivot tables linked to a Power Query connection or Data Model into a new workbook, Excel copy all the dependencies of the tables/pivot tables.
                      If you have a large data model, each worksheet copy can take minutes to process.
                      It would be great if we had an option to choose wheter we want to bring the connection and data models with the new copied worksheet, as the attached file.
                      Notice also to not forget to add VBA parameters in the Worksheet.Copy methode to access this feature programatically.

13 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Link Pivot Table Timeline slicers with data slicers

I use pivot tables with "normal" slicers and with timeline slicers.
                        If you add two normal data slicers they interact with each other in that if you make a selection in one slicer it filters the possible attributes in the second slicer.
                        If you use a timeline slicer and select a given period, this does not filter the normal slicers to show only valid attributes for that period and vice versa.
                        I want to be able to select a time period and for the slicers to only show attributes which have a value in that period. At the moment I…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• I have a dataset of 130000 line long by 51 columns wide, so 6.7Million bits of data. When I use slicers to filter it crashes

I have a dataset of 130000 line long by 51 columns wide, so 6.7Million bits of data. I created a pivot, then copied that to set up a different view of the same data, I then added slicers to the first pivit. When selecting slicer options both pivots change view. When I use slicers to filter it crashes some of the time

This is the same issue as below, please let me know how I can contac t the excel engineers

Many thanks
                          Warren

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/slicer-induced-crash/f52aeba5-9a83-4ec9-a26d-79ec4da3027d.
                          Can the Excel Engineers let me know how to get around this. I have…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Sort Pivot when you have "difference from % value" - this field is so useful to show YOY growth, but you can't then sort high low....

Sort Pivot when you have "difference from % value" - this field is so useful to show YOY growth, but you can't then sort high low....
                            Currently you get an error message:
                            "AutoSort and SutoShow can't be used with custom calculations that use positional references"

I love Pivots, they really save the day when you don't have good reporting tools/software, but this really drives me crazy - that I can't use the in built Pivot options to add a field showing growth from a previous measure - eg Year or Month, And... sort by descending or ascending...

Eg I want…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• rendere possibile la creazione di tabelle pivot, con excel, su iPad pro

rendere possibile la creazione di tabelle pivot, con excel, su iPad pro

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Power Query Advanced Editor and Formula Bar Intellisense

Add intellisense to the advanced editor and the formula bar for the Power Query M-Code.

16 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Completely non-numeric pivot charts.

I work for an artistic company and we use excell to track the KINDS of items we need, character by character. For some characters, this might be organza or fur, others it might be foam or bolts. We want to be able to have distinct pages showing character by character, but also have up to date modifications if the kind of organza we use changes for all characters. In the past we had dozens of individuals pages (using slicers) and one main page, but they would not all get updated, so confusion ensued.

We like to be able to easily…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow PivotTables to display data contained within the referenced cell without a function.

It would be great if PivotTables could just display the numerical value of a cell in the "values" section without requiring a function such as count or sum. It seems there is a way to do it, either using a super convoluted PowerQuery or like 300 lines of code, however that seems highly inefficient when the values could just be a cell reference.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bring back Pivot Table Multiple Consolidation Ranges

Bring back this function in Excel 2016 in the Pivot Table Master.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Restore ability to edit properties of ThisWorkbookDataModel connection, to increase number of drillthrough rows from the data model

Drillthrough for the data model is currently limited to 1000 rows by default. For larger models, this amount of drillthrough is useless.

In previous versions, this limit could be extended to over 1000000, by editing the properties of the ThisWorkbookDataModel connection. However, the current build HIDES the ThisWorkbookDataModel connection in all dialog boxes and windows, preventing the user from modifying the properties. If a user desires to drillthrough more than 1000 rows, (s)he must manually edit the XML of the file.

Please stop hiding the ThisWorkbookDataModel, or enable some other way to edit its properties.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pivot charts have too much white space as standard

Currently Pivot Charts consistently display too much white space (above the max and/or below the min value on the y-axis).

I don't know what the coded logic is for automatically calculating the bounds of the axes, but it needs to be fixed.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base