How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

65 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ryan WooleryRyan Woolery shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GlennGlenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The human eye can distinguish the flame of a single candle from 10 miles away. We don't need our vision patronized by style gurus who think that providing fewer and fewer tools and pieces of information is helpful. Puh-leeze. Allow us the privilege of complicating our lives, of arranging our tools as close together as possible, so we can stay in the zone and cruise our spreadsheets as nature intended, with grace and speed and a minimum of cussing the latest trend of minimalistic pablum. "Getting underway," you say? - 20 months ago tomorrow, that was offered up. What's the holdup?

• Anonymous CalifornianAnonymous Californian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's ridiculous how FEW QAT icons you can fit in Excel 2016. This leads to MORE clicking and LESS efficiency. WHY are you making my life harder and not easier, Microsoft?

• AlanAlan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed, ridiculous that they keep changing stuff like this. Not everyone wants to touch screens, most people still use a keyboard and mouse

• heavy excel userheavy excel user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The QAT icon spacing is too wide and so wasting space and so in turn efficiency and productivity. It will be good to be able to edit the icons themselves as you use to be able to rather than just use the stock selection.

• Michael WilliamsMichael Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe the QAT could be resized by the user to be more than one row high, in the same way that the formula bar can be?

• Michael WilliamsMichael Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The company I work for (450 employees) has just switched from 2007 to 2013 & I have found this to also be an issue with 2013. I could fit a lot more icons on my 2007 QAT than I can on my 2013 QAT. Will this development also be rolled out for 2013 versions?

• Sameer BhideSameer Bhide commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Excel Team : The QAT issue is fixed with the latest update - Great work !!!

However the XML for Font Type and Font size is now messed up

<comboBox idMso="Font" showLabel="false"/>
        <comboBox idMso="FontSize" showLabel="false"/>

The showLable = "false" - has no effect the Label is still displayed !!!!

• Sameer BhideSameer Bhide commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have exhausted my votes but please add +1 from end - The QAT is a disaster in 2016

Also reduce the amount of bleaching powder that you have put in Excel 2013 / 2016 - We are
        more that happy with the look and feel of 2010

How does the Excel UI team manage to make each version look worse than the previous ?

• Patrice F.Patrice F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello all, I upgraded to Office 2016 and really struggle with the QAT icon spacing in all office apps (PPT, XL, Word, Outlook, One Notes...). My workflow is optimized with the QAT (which I also backup in case of troubles). More than one line is not good enough. I do not want to spend my time using CTRL + F1 to show or hide the ribbon and then click to access a customized one (as I read as workaround). We are in Jan 16 and the last updates are from 2 months ago. What ETA are we looking at for a reverse to the previous icon spacing when NOT in tablet mode? Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a significant problem for me. I put icons on the QAT for commands that I want to be able to do with a single click. Roughly half of them no longer display in Excel 2016, which means that I now have to frequently do 2 clicks to get to them. Please, let people have the option of reducing the spacing of the items on the QAT.

• MeMyselfMeMyself commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I'm just a home user with no macros in Excel (have some in Word), and I too hate the added spacing. I put several built-in items onto the QAT because I use them often and don't like to waste time scrolling through the ribbon choices for them. Not only have I had some buttons relegated to an inconvenient drop-down, but it's hard to find any free space to pick up the window and move it around. MS has essentially undermined the whole purpose of the QAT with this change (won't call it an improvement). Also don't like the new icons, but that's more an issue of aesthetics and familiarity.

I had to revert back to Office 2013 because of this issue and will not upgrade to 2016 until this issue is resolved. Who the hell would approved such a disastrous objective?

It is nightmarish. I had tweaked my office apps (word & ppt as well) so I could be really fast with the most used commands. Now each command requests additional mouse clicks & moves. Office 2016 has punished power users. thanks ! I so regret to have installed it.

• Steven WelchSteven Welch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spacing between the QAT items is too large. I appreciate this may have been brought in for touch screens so can an option be added that you can choose the spacing?

• devans00devans00 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spacing between the quick access toolbar icons is so large, only 10 show on the same window size that 20 or more used to show. Not helpful or productive to keep having to use the More Controls command.

And allow it to warp to a second+ line too, and then you don't have to waste screen real estate with that damned Ribbon...or ideally go back to how it was in 2003 (Menu function, drag and drop items onto/off QAT, no ribbon)

• Xiaolun ChengXiaolun Cheng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us control over the spacing between icons. Considering most of us who use Excel the most frequently are on a desktop, some optimized layout for desktop is really needed.

• winston snyderwinston snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give us greater control over look and feel of the QAT. I like a minimalist format - think Stardock Minimalism. Others will want to zoom in and make the icons bigger.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base