Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
- trying to position a shape
- Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

1,882 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Oz du Soleil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for all of the passion about this suggestion! The number of votes has increased greatly in the last couple months and we’re taking notice! We’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already and we’re evaluating getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Eric Patterson (Program Manager – MSFT)

434 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Mac solution is not in Excel. That's why they have a solution and we don't in Windows.

The operating system provides and Excel just rides along for free, so to speak.

I'm perfectly happy for Windows to solve the problem...

Instead, all 12 people who use touch screen monitors are given new "Ink" things to do. Priorities, you know.

• Nathaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great way to demonstrate the utility of Office 365. Fix it and roll it out - that's how a subscription service is marketed right? No waiting for a point revision...

• Zsolt Ferenc Juhász commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm wondering: why this is working on a Mac with Excel - saw this yesterday on a co-workers Mac and was stunned :-O
        So there is already a solution, but it is Mac only.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super annoying that this problem hasn't been solved or MS still refused to solve!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Someone must have a company policy of Random KPIs>common sense. There is otherwise no way they need so long to do this.

I guess it was foolish of me to waste a vote on this, the same company that punished the entire world by forcing Windows 10 on it is supposed to suddenly care about its customers in this trivial issue.. i wonder what i was expecting to happen. How naïve of me. Guess the only realistic solution to scroll without popping a vein in the old head would be to install Libreoffice.

You have to wonder if the issues raised on this 'uservoice' forum get taken notice of at or is it just a mechanism to channel the grievances of Microsoft users somewhere away from the public.
        If someone from Microsoft responds, its usually about once per year.
        If Microsoft were taking these suggestions seriously, they would have a full time administrator who coordinates between the dev team and the end users.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 2015, this was on the "longer-term roadmap." In 2019, hopeless workers still struggle through sheets of cells jumping entire pages.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel would be drastically more functional for a wide variety of applications if it didn't have this ridiculous issue. Lives of keyboard-wielding cubicle-dwellers would be saved.

It's evil to allow this to go on.

Problem #1 is the title: "Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells."
        Unfortunately, that just rolls off the page like a 'nice to have' enhancement feature request, and doesn't convey the gravity of the current situation as the software render pipeline design defect that it is. So its already too late for this one. Those of us who work in software development have painful experiance with exactly what happens to the ever growing backlog of enhancement requests as they get pushed further out into the trailer park of the development roadmap.

The Harbinger of Heuristic Horrors (Microsoft), will keep on spreading this joy in every new Excel license, perpetuating this defect as the public gains no idea as to the cause of the problem they continually run up against, as in this world of keep-um-blind computing, this issue can be much more easily interpreted as some Windows configuration problem, users will tend to blame themselves 99.9% since they aren't really that good at Excel or computers in general since they use it only to convey business information (which is of course exactly the kind of situation where this problem causes the most grief), and so by default they will dismiss that MSExcel could actually be this lame, instead thinking to themselves: "Hmmbuhh, well thats a drag, must something with the mouse scroll wheel sensitivity setting up on my computer, or some driver or something, behhh, i'll try to dig into it later, for now ill just suffer through this since ive got to deliver.." and everyone knows that later never comes and of the few like us who do, far less than 0.01% will ever see this page, of course they have better things to do than spending their time trying to figure out what the %&#@ is up with this $&#+!

By the way folks, consider how you ever found this "forum." WHEN you even learned it existed.

I've used Excel for 28 years now and only learned of it a year-ish ago, have to look at my posts and votes, maybe two years?

Consider there being 750,000,000+ users of Excel around the world and how many of them each of our votes represents. My estimate is in the 10,000-100,000 people are represented by each vote we make here. Willing to allow down a factor of ten if folks insist, but... I don't think I'm off by too much and it may be on the high end, nearer to the 100,000.

I understand MS would say, no, we have 749,998,200 happy, content sheeple, but that simply isn't true. Why do they count sheeple anyway? We are all people, with hopes and dreams, favorite football teams, children and other pets, to consider us sheeple is insulting, at best.

Ahh, mendacity and talking about things that neither matter or exist... I have a future as an official response guy in here!

You don't have any neighbors in vans or rivers nearby do you?

Handmade is always best though, try to see this as an opportunity to let your artisanship shine in an increasingly factory-made world! You will see this as a blessing, someday, really...

Hopefully not a big blessing though, 'cause with BG's benevolent monopolies happenin' (find it on YouTube), Ms will soon be running life itself andif you have a BIG blessing, you could jump scroll right past it and never experience it all...

C'mon MS, that "oh we're on it NOW" post above is, sadly, now a year old and I'm still seeing it and not the solution...

I had an Excel sheet for tracking invoices, with some large cells full of notes. Because Excel jump-scrolls, I missed an important note that cost my boss a lot of money. He fired me. Now I live in a tent, selling handmade spreadsheets to buy food, and my wife left me for a Google Docs user.

• Jacob Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my workbook is now unusable because a cell got to large. I now have to do some odd workaround to undo this which is a pain and makes this program a time waste rather than time saver

It is far more than frustrating. When you have large text areas in cells it makes the document impossible to use. Smooth scrolling needs to be an option. I'm sure the cell jumping method is useful to some so don't remove it but let a user define which method works for them.

4 years on and no change. Is this going to be added as a an option any day soon?

• I got a headache commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1800+ votes and ZERO ACTION

Excel Team, do you know how ****** people have to be to come here and vote? It's not the easiest thing to google search and find this little forum. Think how many people are griping about this UX headache and don't have the time or knowledge to come here and vote this up. Take care of it already!

I can't comprehend how this is even an issue to begin with. You have to know this is ridiculous and unacceptable. Well, maybe you don't. You are part of the company that made the Metro UI. But stil, this is even worse than that....

@Anonymous:

Lol, yep, a joke, no doubt. To slightly adapt Roy Clark (RIP man), if it weren't for bad jokes, we'd have no jokes at all... Gloom, despair, and agony on me...

Just yesterday I was starting a bit of research on another SORE point getting the same mendacious treatment and at a MS site (Answers.something.or.the.other.MS.com), the MS person charged with responding to the question cheerfully suggested the asker go to this site and weigh in his vote in the other SORE point's main line...

And of course, it has no meaningfull response, just mendacity like the above (same cut-and-paste source?), from the same kind of year, year and a half ago time period.

As if. Ah well, first world problem, right? If I were in Rwanda, someone would've been along already to cut off my arms and legs with a machete and r*pe my children next to me as I laid there dying. So I DO understand my fortune in having this complaint vs. other complaints I could have. But it still does not excuse this treatment by MS.

Even a simple, straightforward message of "Get bent" along with the closing of the suggestion's comment ability would be a step forward, to somewhere, which would be better than limbo.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base