How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
- trying to position a shape
- Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

432 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Oz du SoleilOz du Soleil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Excel Team [MSFT]AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion Oz! I personally couldn’t agree more. As Dan mentioned in the comments, we’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already, and this is on our longer term roadmap. We’ll evaluate excelerating (that’s my pun for the day) getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Best,
    John [MS XL]

82 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when i first touched this subject i spent hours searching for a way to turn this malfunctioning behaviour off. i did not succeed.

years later this bug is still around. please fix it as soon as possible so excel (which i am sadly forced to use) becomes usable again.

for those who argue about this being a design choice, fire the designer responsible for this!

hint: make a radio button and let users choose

btw.: sbdy should post this on their native excel forum so the scope of the problem becomes visible here.
        the standard excel user who suffers most from this bug will likely never find this voting system, 400 smth. votes are a joke!

sorry for the rant,
        have a nice day!

The irritating thing is, that "normal" scrolling has been the case in previous versions of Excel and now you have to vote for an option that the usual behaviour will be accessible again?
        I think that many users don't like it either (just google a little bit around) but aren't aware that this site with this votes actually exist.
        So things like python as a scripting language, etc. are nice things to have and I'm sure a few people will drastically benefit from it, but your not tech savvy consumer base doesn't care!
        They only see that you can't see stuff in large cells anymore without annoyingly hold the scroll bar!

Think it is readily apparent, MS team please provide a fix to permit use of the simple scrolling feature in Excel that is so irritatingly missing. Thank you.

It is insane not having this simple feature in a 2017 software!! Almost every other spread sheet apps have this, even the mobile versions. MS if you don't listen to end user, remember what happend to IE. It was used by almost every internet user once now what happend? This should just take a smart engineer to fix it over a weekend. Why cant you have this as an optional feature in excel turned off by default.

• TRAVIS A CONRADTRAVIS A CONRAD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its clear MSFT doesn't actually use this feedback...but seriously, this is a really annoying issue. How many SDEs making $150k does it take to edit the 3 lines of code this entails in less than 2 years? Sad

• Another Vote for Smooth Scrolling!Another Vote for Smooth Scrolling! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My vote as well! I have a spreadsheet with tall and irregular sized cells that jumps around so much when I scroll that I can't figure out where the last scroll ended and the next began

Throwing in my vote. Please add this feature! An option for smooth horizontal scrolling is a must. I have a mouse with a horizontal scroll wheel that would be perfect for excel if it weren't for the jumpyness in the current scrolling style.

Really needs to be fixed, I'm currently having to work on 365 as it had become unbearable

• David SpakeDavid Spake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a quick note to follow up - Excel online as part of Office 365 gets this right. I'm sure it is due to the way web browsers scroll, but the platform is significantly limited when compared to the desktop version.

• MichalMichal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any chance for implementing this feature of smooth scrolling? Please do so. It would help a lot. Thanks in advance!

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue needs to be resolved. It makes meetings on projectors with different resolutions than standard screens almost impossible when trying to present excel files containing more than several lines of data. It's a nightmare when trying to edit a spreadsheet on a small laptop screen as well. Impressive that you still haven't fixed this as it has been an issue for years.

• useruser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This stupid behavior is just like when you're trying to read some numbers on paper, and some idiot keeps shaking the paper around when you try to glance from one number to another and focus on reading. I felt such a terrible motion sickness since I have lots of scrolling to do. FIX IT PLEASE!

• useruser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove this nonsense behavior! I am focusing on some cells in the middle of the sheet, scrolling right to center it, and this "snapping motion" keeps "shaking" the whole sheet. I have to check out many cells in this manner. I got a motion sickness after 15 minutes and had to take a long to recover from the terrible headache.. I am currently looking for an alternative office program because I really can't possibly work like this! It's just insane!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base