Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
- trying to position a shape
- Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

1,496 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Oz du Soleil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for all of the passion about this suggestion! The number of votes has increased greatly in the last couple months and we’re taking notice! We’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already and we’re evaluating getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Eric Patterson (Program Manager – MSFT)

332 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Denis Molodtsov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been three years since this issue was submitted. Now more than ever we need to stay strong and just believe in the Excel gods. If we wish for the miracle truly, who knows, someone from the product team might even leave another encouraging comment: "Wow! this community is great, keep the votes coming! Due to the number of votes we are now considering a slight possibility of including this as an option in Excel 2038!"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Current Office programs seem to have bad scrolling behaviors. Outlook's email list doesn't move when you slide the scroll bar. Only when you release it does the list jump. Excel and Outlook both behave like they're in the days of Windows 3.1

I'd just like to know why. Is that there is 25 years of legacy spaghetti code that is scary to break open? Is it an actual design choice? If it's the second case, my mind boggles.

I regularly work with huge spreadsheets with large cells. This bug (yes, bug!) makes that a nightmare.

• Delg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely ridiculous that Excel does not have a smooth scroll feature. Typical Microsoft.

I agree that a good solution would be to give the users the option of turning this off and on. It is hard to get used to and with large cells, it is very difficult.

• Patrik Söderholm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does MS keep deleting good functionality from previous versions of sw. This used to work in Excel!
        Switched to Open Office now.

• Zhenhuan Hu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want Excel scrolls as smoothly as when I play Dark Souls with Nvidia Titan V on the 120fps monitor.

• KRC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know everyone is very frustrated by the time they find this board, but let's keep this civil. Even if it seems inexcusable that they still have not addressed this issue, some of us watching/tracking it don't want to hear all the negativity being thrown around. [Putting myself in their shoes, I might question why I would WANT to hurry to fix it after seeing some of the comments.] Frustrating or not — Play Nice! Vote! Get everyone you know to vote! Add comments that support the request.

• idontgetwhat idiotwoulddothat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i just dont get what kind of an idiot developer would think that's a good feature/idea... to auto snap whean users try to scroll... it's like they dont understand the purpos of excel or how people use it.... it's not just for formulas and automatic calcultions it's a spreadsheet!

man you must be a idiot to work for microsoft... man it's just unbelivable...
        (p.s plz excuse my english not my native lenguage,working on it....)

i mean i can code better then what dose idiots did... of cource microsoft is no wear next to my standards.... i might work for google 1 day... but to see what kind of an idiot a person needs to be to work at microsoft... no wonder they go dawn... slovely but still....

• K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really, Clippy? This isn't something they broke. It's legacy code and program design that goes right back to the DOS-based versions of Excel's predecessors (Multiplan, etc). It's NEVER worked, it has never been changed even though our uses for Excel and the program's functionality has changed greatly over the 3 decades since then.

Get off your high horse. Clearly, it's something that needs to be changed so that modern Excel users can use it the way they need to, but it's not been 'broken' by Microsoft. It's clearly an area where something like Google Docs or Libre Office has an advantage, since they're newer products and aren't being held back by 30 million lines of legacy code.

None of it is an excuse for Microsoft to rest on their laurels and fix the problem it has become though.

• Clippy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What in GOD'S NAME were you thinking when y'all broke this???!!?
        Why would you break it in the first place?? Web browsers don't scroll by images or paragraphs. Word doesn't scroll based on the size of the font. Do you not even USE your own products??

• Pavel Orlov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another ridiculous example of how a huge company can't solve a tiny problem. For years. I guess, asking Elon Musk to fix this problem would be way more efficient.

Very annoying, to the extent I'm actively looking for another product that doesn't do this (I've seen libreOffice mentioned)

Or just add in the options a checkbox where it is possible to (de)activate this "feature".

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base