Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
- trying to position a shape
- Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

1,364 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Oz du Soleil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for all of the passion about this suggestion! The number of votes has increased greatly in the last couple months and we’re taking notice! We’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already and we’re evaluating getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Eric Patterson (Program Manager – MSFT)

312 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark Kelter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been fixed in the latest version of excel. Given how long this bug has existed, i'm confident that MS is not even going to look at this, no matter how many votes it gets.

After their reorg, they just aren't dedicating resources to desktop applications, so legacy stuff is just never going to be addressed.

They are willing to listen to hundreds of user complain for years without doing anything. Uservoice is just a well into which you can shout your complaints and hear the echoes, but your wishes will never be granted.

• SEMI FIX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you make the text cell the height of several rows (13.2 size) by merging, you can scroll with ease. Same can be done in column width. When trying to copy this format to several columns/rows, use the paint tool.

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such poor design...have unfortunately moved to a workplace that insists on using Microsoft and am finding it a struggle every day, as is my whole team. This is just one of many frustrations, and I couldn't BELIEVE when I started researching to find a fix that there wasn't one. Ridiculous.

• Denis Molodtsov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I regard such Excel's behavior as a blatant bug that needs to be fixed ASAP. It should not be treated as a wishful request of some eccentric users. Bugs must be considered to have the highest priority. This "Idea"is the third most up-voted topic, but, since the first two topics are features and not bugs, this item must be a De facto priority #1.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How comes this extremely old idea hasn't been picked up already to fix this bad design? Just a day into using MS Excel and I'm annoyed and frustrated like ****. How can people even work like that for such a long time? Have very wide columns and you just go furiously mad within seconds when you have to scroll horizontally back and forth.

• I got a headache commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone, please SHARE this link on social media and any tech forums you are on. Please help get this get some more traction. MS obviously looks at the vote count and reads this poll from time to time. This link needs to spread like a plague and it won't happen if we just wait for google to funnel the occasional vote this way.

• rjames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add another vote for something that should have been implemented before the product was released.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no wonder Microsoft is slowly being taken over by android, mac and others, they implement useless shyt like this!

• Asdfa Asdfaasdfa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three years later, still doing it. Been dealing with this for years and just googled the problem today to see if there was a solution and found this thread. I'd guess not. Get this fixed already, please...

• Nunya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So in almost 300 comments, is there even ONE user who thinks this was a good idea? Seriously MS, how did you reach this boneheaded conclusion in the first place? Do your developers never talk to actual users?

Let's just say there was a user who loved the jumping nonsense. I'm quite certain it's not outside of the realm of possibility for the smart coders at Microsoft to develop a toggle button/switch/setting to turn off the behavior. Obviously it should be off by default, but if nothing else we should be able to fix MS's poor decision making.

• Edward Biggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much larger problem than people think (grabbing edges to resize, jerky nauseating behaviour, constant scrolling out and in again, resizing columns with double-click dividers). Please can we get this moved up the backlog because keeping users happy and engaged with Excel means they won't go elsewhere and making the change could even encourage people to return because it will feel like a more modern and enjoyable interface. It could even pave the way for a better page dragging/positioning experience which would be great for really large plans.

• Kelly Schultz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this a "feature"? And seeing as I can smooth scroll by holding down the scroll bar, it's obvious that Excel is merely forcing us to snap to the cell edges. Instantaneous snapping makes it annoying to track where you are in a large spreadsheet, of which I have to deal with in my organization.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base