Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Link the min and max values of a chart axis to cell value

It would be nice to be able to link the min and/or max value of an chart axis to a cell reference instead of manual enter the value or the auto function.

663 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

erik svensen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

63 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FatalError commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is simply amazing that this function is still not implemented as a basic function. The amount of hours people have put ino fixing this must be counted in million. And no. That there is a tedious VBA-workaround isn't nearly good enough. I must be able to produce VBA-free reports.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would solve a major frustration I have with a suite of graphs that share the same x axis range. Seems essential for "modular" programming.

This should be improved. Excel now puts in the axis of a bar chart percentages with a maximum of 100% (or even 120%) although the largest value corresponding to what excel denotes as 100% is 0.33

• Karen Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding VBA ... I've done that and it does work. However, I publish Excel files to SharePoint and expose named ranges on SharePoint pages using the Excel Web Access webpart. SharePoint and Excel Services do not support VBA, and I've been told they likely never will. So, alas, still hoping for a non-vba solution.

"It would be great to have that. In the meantime:

VBA is the answer!" (h'yuck, h'yuck. I'm so clever!)

It's a shame this site doesn't have an upvote/downvote option...

• Jeff Burrows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this super simple - like the ability to use cell reference to link to Primary and Secondary axis' (Don't forget compound charts) Min, Max, Minor and Major.

• Dave M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Samaritan, I’m offended ;) Excel is already a million times better than Word. But anyway, why would Microsoft care if one of their products is better than another? They are two completely different products with different use cases, so they aren’t really comparable. Nevertheless, I still think Excel is far more useful.

• Samaritan for Excel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess nobody knows we can vote for something we need so this voting is actually not relevant in numbers.
        YOU as a firm should notice hey this is good idea why wouldn't we do it?

Best of luck and make our lives easier whenever you are given opportunity to do so, trust me it will pay off.
        Many thanks for doin' a good job for now but Excel could be better than Word if you give it a chance!!!

• Garry Steil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can be done in VBA but it would nice to have campatability with Excel for iPad (iPad version does not support VBA)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base