Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Add icons for font superscript and subscript so we can put them on the QAT

Word has direct access (with icons) on the ribbon for subscripting and superscripting characters, but Excel can do so only via the Home...Font menu item. Scientists and engineers need to use subscript and superscript characters when writing mathematical and chemical formulas. Please copy the subscript and superscript icons in Word, and make them available to the Customize QAT feature.

371 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brad Yundt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The commands still aren't there for me. Is this because Im on OS X?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was apparently placed in a "deferred upgrade" channel, but even I now have access to this desirable feature! Thanks, team.

I have the 1706 build as well, but I cannot find the icons for superscript or subscript. I did not see them in All commands or Popular Commands. Where are they?

• Martin Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You say it is in the June release, but I do not have it in my 1706 build. Been trough the whole menu for QAT, not there. What do I have to do to get them or where do I find them?

• Brad Yundt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have version 1705 of 64-bit Excel (Current Channel), and the new icons for superscript and subscript are right there in Popular Commands. I added them to my QAT and am so happy!

• Graeme Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updated to version 1706 (Build 8229.2073) and still no option to add superscript or subscript icons to ribbon or quick access?

Wonderful! looking forward to seeing them in my next update. Now, how do I make this augmented QAT my default whenever I open a new workbook?

• Grant Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My biggest deterrent from using excel religiously with engineering problems is how slow it is to format formulas and units. Having subscript and superscript hot keys would likely decrease my engineering excel time in half.

• Brad Yundt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I posted an essay with a shameless commercial to vote for this UserVoice in Quora thread https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-shortcut-key-of-subscript-and-superscript-in-Excel/answer/Brad-Yundt

To date, that thread has over 64,000 page views, and I expect a good number of people voting for the idea here found the link on Quora.

On behalf of all those people who were searching for an easier way of getting superscript and subscript characters, thank you Microsoft for finally doing something about it.

I would also add the option to change lowercase to uppercase as it is available in word.

• Alec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Electrical Engineering student. Would make differentiating between different measurements much easier.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base