Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Make Power Pivot available in all versions of Excel

Previous title: "Make the Power BI Family - PowerPIvot + PowerQuery + PowerView and PowerMap available in all versions of Excel".

501 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce that your input has had another direct impact on the product. In this case, a decision has been made to have Power Pivot be available in all Windows editions (“SKUs”) of Excel! This means the Business, Home, Standard, etc.. all of these will have Power Pivot. As your comments have indicated, Power Pivot has moved from targeting a specialized audience to generally useful capability for working with data in spreadsheets. As such, it makes sense to make this as broadly available as possible.

We have started rolling this change out with the April Current Channel updates (Builds 9330 and beyond). I’m also happy to announce that these SKU changes will be reflected on the upcoming 2019 version as well.

Thank you for pushing for this!

Ashvini Sharma
    PM Manager
    Excel

251 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Raymond Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ashivini,

The power bi data engine/model is already available in Excel 2016 Office365 and you can connect when creating a PivotTable using "external data source".

However, it feel like MS deliberately CRIPPLE the functionality by removing the PowerPivot menu and other feature to manage data engine/model.

I understand MS push to PowerBI desktop. There are a few key major reasons to use Excel instead of powerbi desktop.

1. Power bi desktop does not have ANY print function. I have to send the data out to the Powerbi cloud/Service in order to print any reports from powerbi desktop. Why?

2. In powerbi desktop, I cannot create a report table by combining bespoke data points such as impression, visits, transactions by same date and some business category in power bi.

In Excel, I can look up each metric from different worksheets or workbooks and combine them into a single table template for managers. The ability to combine bespoke data points is a major advantage that Excel has over other BI reporting tools.

• Mimoune Djouallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have paid for office 2013, and i am happy with it, I love to pay for office365 home, but as long as PowerPivot is not included, I will not upgrade, one lost customer and I suspect I am not alone.

• datascientist7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are you giving your business away? Myself and many colleagues are being driven away from Microsoft BY MICROSOFT. We MUST try Tableau, Google sheets, etc. You wont even give us a sign-on to Power BI. Even if map charts were available in Excel 2016, they evidently do not include a map base layer (roads cities etc), so you are laying down and letting Google Fusion Maps beat you?

If map chart is only available in 365, please admit it. And please CORRECT THIS MARKETING STRATEGY! Why do you say "available in all SKUs"? So Office Professional Plus 2016 is not an SKU????????????

2D map chart is NOT AVAILABLE IN Office Professional Plus 2016 latest Version as of 3/25/2018 (Version 1802 Build 9029.2253 Click-toRun)! WHYYYYYYY?

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This thread has been going on for ...... 1 year? 2 years. How long?

• Pamela Nathe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Ashvini, and thank you for your thoughts. I am particularly frustrated by not being able to access PowerPivot especially since I already have a version of this feature in Office 2013 which I cannot run with Office 365 as they are not compatible. Since there are features in Office 365 which I like which are not in Office 2013 I have decided to do without PowerPivot, but frankly I just feel gypped.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add powerpivot and related tools to ALL office365 versions of Excel; trying to come up with a plan that supports Excel with powerpivot but also something like Teams... is quite complex and unncessarily difficult and expensive.

I remember years ago, I was privileged to Beta test Office 2010, and the add-in, Project Gemini, the precursor to PowerPivot. I used it all the time at home until I could get it installed at work. Now you take it out of Excel 2016 (Office 365 Home) to promote Power BI!? WTF?! I don't use Powerpivot, a known staple of Excel at home much, but I just renewed my Office 365 account and for this reason alone, I'm thinking of dropping Office 365 altogether and converting back to Excel 2013. Really Microsoft, you BUILT Powerpivot for Excel and now rip it out? I do NOT NEED/REQUIRE a locked product of Power BI. I NEED Powerpivot. Bring it back or lose my subscription.

When people buy a subscription to Office 365 Home edition, the Microsoft web page clearly states: Fully installed Office applications

Always have the latest, fully installed versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, and Access and capture your ideas however you work best—using a keyboard, pen, or touchscreen.

FULLY INSTALLED MEANS POWERPIVOT IS SUPPOSED TO BE INCLUDED IN THE HOME (AND EVERY OTHER SUBSCRIPTION MODEL).

WE DEMAND THAT MICROSOFT PROVIDE POWERPIVOT FEATURES IN ALL SUBSCRIPTIONS IMMEDIATELY!

MICROSOFT IS COMMITTING FRAUD AND DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING, ALL OF WHICH SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED BY THE DOJ IF THE COMPANY FAILS TO DELIVER THE PROMISED FULLY INSTALLED VERSIONS OF ALL APPS.

Please add PowerPivot and the related BI features available to ALL VERSIONS OF EXCEL 2016 and later. It is blatant and misleading advertising that states that when we sign up for Office 365 we are getting ALL OF THE FEATURES in EXCEL.

• chezshea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft. I am one of your champions. I spend my day teaching your products (especially Excel) in a corporate environment. I get people aware and jazzed about PowerPivot. Many of these people want/need to take work home and be productive. They are very surprised and distraught to find out that they can't use the PowerPivot features on their home version. This is a reality for hundreds of thousands of people. The fact that I had it for free with 2010 and lost it by upgrading is ridiculous. Please stop making bad decisions that infuriate your users and teachers.

• chezshea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's really infuriating is that I had it for years for free with 2010 as a free add-on. To upgrade to 365 and now not have access to it is ridiculous.

While the user interface is different, the Excel 2016 subscription includes under Data-tab in the "Get & Transform Data" and the "Queries and Connections" section most of the capabilities. Check it out.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 "I am looking into other versions of spreadsheets and not renewing my subscription. Feeling so ripped off!"

Please google, kill ms office

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just suscribed to office 365 personal, no powerpivot, why god? why?

• Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why, Microsoft? Why?
        It doesnt make sense at all.

Really disapointed...
        Good that Qlik Sense Desktop is free, and I can use that at home to replace the part I would use Power Pivot.
        As a BI professional, learning a different BI language just for my personal stuff is a pain, but would be good for the long run.

• phong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree that 299$ of Office 2016 home and business should include Power Pivot, View and Map. If not, I should not buy this at the first place. Since in Thailand stores, they do not sale 2016 Professional +.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PowerPivot is an essential part of Excel and should always be included

Feedback and Knowledge Base