Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Make Power Pivot available in all versions of Excel

Previous title: "Make the Power BI Family - PowerPIvot + PowerQuery + PowerView and PowerMap available in all versions of Excel".

501 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce that your input has had another direct impact on the product. In this case, a decision has been made to have Power Pivot be available in all Windows editions (“SKUs”) of Excel! This means the Business, Home, Standard, etc.. all of these will have Power Pivot. As your comments have indicated, Power Pivot has moved from targeting a specialized audience to generally useful capability for working with data in spreadsheets. As such, it makes sense to make this as broadly available as possible.

We have started rolling this change out with the April Current Channel updates (Builds 9330 and beyond). I’m also happy to announce that these SKU changes will be reflected on the upcoming 2019 version as well.

Thank you for pushing for this!

Ashvini Sharma
    PM Manager
    Excel

251 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kcwilsonii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

whew, now I can drop that extra licensing just to get PowerPivot with my Business License. Thanks, huge update.

• Mark Skilling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ed,
        Thanks for reminding me, some clients are just for hobby type projects at home (i.e. Stock analysis) so may be running home edition, many are business clients.
        However, currently not all business versions come with power pivot anyway, so my concern is that it is not always available in business either. You need Office 365 Pro Plus to get it. Office 365 Business, Business Premium and Enterprise E1 do not currently have it.
        I would assume that if they release it for Home edition then it will also be available in all business versions as well. Fingers crossed.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/where-is-power-pivot-aa64e217-4b6e-410b-8337-20b87e1c2a4b

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ed, re: @mark, but Ed - that's the problem. None of the Business licenses of Office 365 have Power Pivot. So what are small business users supposed to do?

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those questioning the Insider track, you don't have to do that. LIke all features, MS is apparently rolling this out to Fast Insider first, then will move to Slow Insider when a bit more stable, then to normals when fully tested.

If you want it right now, then yes, you need to get Fast Insider, but understand you are getting a beta version of ALL of the office apps and there are bugs that may impact you. MS doesn't recommend using Fast Insider on production machines.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@mark - Office 365 for home is not licensed for commercial use. If your clients are individuals that just pay you to help with their PC needs, that is fine (though seems odd that kind of person would care about Power Pivot), but if your ciients are small businesses, they need to have an Office 365 business license, not home.

That's great news, but I can't find any confirmation of this on any Microsoft website.
        Is it actually going to be available in the office 365 home official release?
        I want to use it for my clients and can't use it unless I can be sure everyone can get it.
        Can somebody from Microsoft please confirm what is officially happening?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, opt in Office Insider Program : from any Office app, go to File -> Account -> Office Insider, check "Get early access to new releases of Office" box, and the update will download ...

• EB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In effect Power Pivot is now available in home edition under the insider program! Yippee!

Thanks Microsoft for listening and thanks "anonymous" below for informing us!

Power Pivot is available in Home Edition for 2 weeks now, opt in for the insider program and there you go ;-)
        Thank you MS !

Please make this a standard feature for all versions. While many analysts may use this feature in office, many students use their home edition to practice their skills.

• Scarlette_89 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Ashvini, good to see someone from Microsoft responding to our comments.
        I agree Power Pivot should be included in the business line but please also give the possibility for those with home version to at least add it to their subscription. Students and also adults following data analysis or business analysis courses or any other course related to analysis need this option.
        Thanks

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It boggles the mind that such an important business analytics tool so many of us have come to depend on was left out of the *Business* line of products. Our only options are downgrade to Pro Plus, or pay twice as much for Enterprise just for PowerPivot. Neither is a viable option but most of my clients that are small business owners have chosen to downgrade.

Given away as a free add-on for years and now ripped away unless you pay out the nose for it, or for some reason beyond comprehension, *downgrade*. Seriously. Mind boggling.

This is annoying. I use E3 at the office and am eligible to use on a second computer but I bought Office 365 Home edition for my family thinking I would have have same Office features. I already have a G-Suite license so I didn't need to do the O365 upgrade because it's only me who uses Excel to this level. So much for brand loyalty. I have just started a business and had costed in an O365 Business plan to replace G-Suite but now I'm not so sure because I don't know what the "fine print" will be on that. You should at the least offer these add-ins as a subscription addition so people can level up.

I have been starting to recommend the use of power pivot to clients only to find that only some versions of excel 2016 have this feature. When working with small businesses this is a ridiculous situation. ALL versions of excel should have power pivot available so that we can actually increase the usage of this very useful feature.

• David Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought Office 365 Home, and one of the main reasons I'm using office and not one of the competitor products for home use, such as google sheets, is so that I can improve my office knowledge on my own time. I'm taking a class on PowerQuery and PowerPivot and about half way through the class when we start using power pivot I don't see "Manage Data Model" button. Extremely frustrating going through page after page of suggestions, only to eventually find out its just not included in my version of Excel. This really needs to be here, or an option to download install it. Have to imagine students with Office 365 Student or Education, which may be learning excel have this same frustration!

• Sasha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope, PowerPivot will be available in all Excel versions. Thank you in advance

• VasileC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank god I didn't buy office 365 before reading this. I hope you add Power Pivot to all versions asap, otherwise I won't "upgrade" from excel 2010.

Feedback and Knowledge Base