Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Make Power Pivot available in all versions of Excel

Previous title: "Make the Power BI Family - PowerPIvot + PowerQuery + PowerView and PowerMap available in all versions of Excel".

473 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce that your input has had another direct impact on the product. In this case, a decision has been made to have Power Pivot be available in all Windows editions (“SKUs”) of Excel! This means the Business, Home, Standard, etc.. all of these will have Power Pivot. As your comments have indicated, Power Pivot has moved from targeting a specialized audience to generally useful capability for working with data in spreadsheets. As such, it makes sense to make this as broadly available as possible.

We have started rolling this change out with the April Current Channel updates (Builds 9330 and beyond). I’m also happy to announce that these SKU changes will be reflected on the upcoming 2019 version as well.

Thank you for pushing for this!

Ashvini Sharma
    PM Manager
    Excel

244 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bravo! What great news!! Thanks Ashvini for helping us push this through and make it a reality. You've just alleviated a fairly significant paint point for some of us.

• EB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well done Microsoft and thank you Ashvini for defending the cause - it is reassuring to see a mega company respond to the comments of its individual users.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed are great news! Mr. Sharma, Thank you so much for your feedback, it is really pleasant to feel our voice heard.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for acting on the suggestion.

I hope that MS extends the concept to all features in Office applications. Get back to the original Office concept, only one "version" of an application. Everyone gets the same features. Granted, that may not possible going across operating systems, but within a given OS, everyone should have the same feature set.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be a great way to get the best out of a product for the users of Excel !

Awesome news! This must be the first timeI have seen a community post on a big product get a positive outcome. Well done Microsoft!

I would *really* like to see the PowerBi functionality moved to Excel Online as well. With SharePoint moving to 365, we have half of our reports needing to stay onsite both because Excel Online cannot refresh with our on-prem SQL servers, and because Excel Online does not support any Data modelling functionality that we use

• Keveen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great! Do I wait for the update to roll out on my Desktop PC? OR I can download and install it myself.

Please help guys...wow again!

• kcwilsonii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

whew, now I can drop that extra licensing just to get PowerPivot with my Business License. Thanks, huge update.

• Mark Skilling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ed,
        Thanks for reminding me, some clients are just for hobby type projects at home (i.e. Stock analysis) so may be running home edition, many are business clients.
        However, currently not all business versions come with power pivot anyway, so my concern is that it is not always available in business either. You need Office 365 Pro Plus to get it. Office 365 Business, Business Premium and Enterprise E1 do not currently have it.
        I would assume that if they release it for Home edition then it will also be available in all business versions as well. Fingers crossed.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/where-is-power-pivot-aa64e217-4b6e-410b-8337-20b87e1c2a4b

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ed, re: @mark, but Ed - that's the problem. None of the Business licenses of Office 365 have Power Pivot. So what are small business users supposed to do?

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those questioning the Insider track, you don't have to do that. LIke all features, MS is apparently rolling this out to Fast Insider first, then will move to Slow Insider when a bit more stable, then to normals when fully tested.

If you want it right now, then yes, you need to get Fast Insider, but understand you are getting a beta version of ALL of the office apps and there are bugs that may impact you. MS doesn't recommend using Fast Insider on production machines.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@mark - Office 365 for home is not licensed for commercial use. If your clients are individuals that just pay you to help with their PC needs, that is fine (though seems odd that kind of person would care about Power Pivot), but if your ciients are small businesses, they need to have an Office 365 business license, not home.

• Mark Skilling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's great news, but I can't find any confirmation of this on any Microsoft website.
        Is it actually going to be available in the office 365 home official release?
        I want to use it for my clients and can't use it unless I can be sure everyone can get it.
        Can somebody from Microsoft please confirm what is officially happening?

No, opt in Office Insider Program : from any Office app, go to File -> Account -> Office Insider, check "Get early access to new releases of Office" box, and the update will download ...

Feedback and Knowledge Base