Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Make Power Pivot available in all versions of Excel

Previous title: "Make the Power BI Family - PowerPIvot + PowerQuery + PowerView and PowerMap available in all versions of Excel".

473 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce that your input has had another direct impact on the product. In this case, a decision has been made to have Power Pivot be available in all Windows editions (“SKUs”) of Excel! This means the Business, Home, Standard, etc.. all of these will have Power Pivot. As your comments have indicated, Power Pivot has moved from targeting a specialized audience to generally useful capability for working with data in spreadsheets. As such, it makes sense to make this as broadly available as possible.

We have started rolling this change out with the April Current Channel updates (Builds 9330 and beyond). I’m also happy to announce that these SKU changes will be reflected on the upcoming 2019 version as well.

Thank you for pushing for this!

Ashvini Sharma
    PM Manager
    Excel

244 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Giving people the option to learn these features on their home PCs will help drive adoption in the workplace. Fragmenting versions of Excel like this is short-sighted penny pinching.

• AkThad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with having different functionality in various versions of the application is Microsoft is assuming that we only use our work computers. I personally have better equipment at home than the company has provided. I'm the only person in my office which has been using or implementing the Power BI features of Excel. I was able to accomplish this because I was able to use and play with it on my home computer before I installed it on my work computer.

Microsoft producing different builds of the same software is exactly what scares the hell out of our IT department from installing upgrades until absolutely necessary. On top of that about half of the people working for our company work from home on their own computers. Our company employees a number of consultant that use Office 365 Home, which means that none of them are able to work on the models that I build at work. That now includes me!!! Thankfully I still have another older computer with Office 2010 on it, which is what we're using at work. Hopefully we just stay with that and don't upgrade in the next few years.

• Pamela Nathe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been totally frustrating to me. I have a standalone version of Office 2013 Professional which has the PowerPivot. However, now that I "upgraded" to Office 365 2016 Home subscription, I have lost this functionality. Furthermore, I cannot run Office 2013 and Office 2016 on the same computer. I would get rid of the subscription, but I do need certain functions in PowerPoint that are not available in 2013. I don't know why MS decided in their "wisdom" to remove the PowerPivot and PowerQuery from the home version. I am a computer trainer and I totally resent having to buy a standalone version of Excel when I already have a standalone version that I can't run. This is ridiculous.

• Ron MVP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Article about BI: https://blogs.office.com/2015/09/18/new-ways-to-get-the-excel-business-analytics-features-you-need/

In last graphic you say "Higher enterprise plans". too vague. Explicitly state E3 and E5, NOT E1!

But the whole point of creating the Office bundle since 1991 was to expose people to features and applications they would not normally pay for. So someone would have only bought WordPefect (which had 97% of the market before Office) bought Office and got excel and powerpoint. Before Office there were "levels", ie "Standard" and "Pro", all that was leveled out. Now you are bringing back the bad old days of the 1980s marketing. Where and when do you think people learn new features like PowerPivot? At home and in school. But those 2 groups no longer have access to BI.

Come on, get your head out of your a...natomy, get back to the real world.

Since I'm ranting about Office, why are Visio and Project not included in ANY Office bundle? Same idea, make them available t people who don't normally have access to them so they can play with them and learn to become dependent on them!

1 2 9 10 11 13 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base