Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Make Power Pivot available in all versions of Excel

Previous title: "Make the Power BI Family - PowerPIvot + PowerQuery + PowerView and PowerMap available in all versions of Excel".

484 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce that your input has had another direct impact on the product. In this case, a decision has been made to have Power Pivot be available in all Windows editions (“SKUs”) of Excel! This means the Business, Home, Standard, etc.. all of these will have Power Pivot. As your comments have indicated, Power Pivot has moved from targeting a specialized audience to generally useful capability for working with data in spreadsheets. As such, it makes sense to make this as broadly available as possible.

We have started rolling this change out with the April Current Channel updates (Builds 9330 and beyond). I’m also happy to announce that these SKU changes will be reflected on the upcoming 2019 version as well.

Thank you for pushing for this!

Ashvini Sharma
    PM Manager
    Excel

248 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JvD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got Office365 to replace Excel 2010, and much to my surprise I can no longer use PowerPivot. Worth noting that PowerPivot was a free add-in for Excel 2010.

For an average person it is virtually impossible to understand what the differences are between the different versions of Excel. Objectively viewed, it is as clear as mud.

Incredibly poor strategy from Microsoft, making it very hard for someone like me to embrace new technologies.

In order to get into the same position that I was when I had Office 2010, it seems that I now have to buy a stand-alone Excel 2016 (in addition to the Office 365 subscription that I am paying for on an annual basis), or subscribe to a complete Business subscription incorporating numerous features I have absolute no use for. An add-in that used to be free is therefore the equivalent of a new Excel license. It does not take a genius to figure out that it does not add up.

I am definitely not alone in having this view. Bitterly disappointed in the lack of transparency around the whole PowerPivot issue. Are you actively trying to get people to embrace the concept or you trying to make it difficult for them? If you want people to use it, make it freely available, as it used to be, or provide it at a reasonable charge as an option. To avoid any misunderstandings, a reasonable charge does not mean the cost of a new Excel license.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just "upgraded" to Office 365, opened excel to add-in Power Pivot only to find it is not available on this version of excel. Guess I'll be "upgrading" back to my purchased copy of Office Pro Plus 2013. Please include Power Pivot in all versions of Excel!

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So annoying that this is not Included in the office 365 home version

• jea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just got office 365. lost all my work in powerPivot. disapointed and angry. going back to excel 2013 and ner get office 365 again!

• Nguyen Le Minh Tu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe I paid $99.99 to have a Microsoft Excel that doesn't have the Pivot function. I don't know why the developers thinks that only "business customers" should have it, not home users or students. I'm a college student and have been relied on Pivot almost on every worksheet. What the point of having multiple pages but you can't analyze them anyway.
        To make the problem worst, I thought it was a technical issue at first because I've been using it since I purchased the code, only till I installed the new updated that did Microsoft decide to remove the add-in. I called the customer service, and they told me to either pay $499 for technical support or go to the community and search for the solution. The point is no one, not a single agent, told me that the pivot add-in is removed from excel for home users.
        You know what. This is shady business. This is not how a big corporation should operate! I purchased the Office 365 knowing that I will get the full version of everything. This wasn't on the description, there was and is still no line on the website saying that "FYI, Pivot function isn't available." If I were to know that Pivot function wouldn't be available, I wouldn't have had purchased Office 365 since I would have a much better deal using other free office software, like Google Sheets, Google Docs, or anything as of sort.

I feel like I'm cheated. Really, Microsoft, this is a bad customer service and a bad way to do business.

I'm very disappointed!!

• KC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to find a version of Excel to convert to that includes Power Pivot and I will read the data on the box and there is no mention of Power Pivot. Users on forums have said they have tried to upgrade, thinking they are getting PPvt, and they do not get it. This has been a very difficult process but you need to market this better with easier help to download and explain what versions of Excel contain it and what don't, how to upgrade, etc. The downloadable version you see often on Google is for Excel 2010 and I have 2016 but it is the online subscription version of Office 365 Personal. I guess I'm going to have to buy the standalong version.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a shame!

I just purchased the home premium version of office 365 and I Can't use powerpivot!

That's not fair.

Guy Koman.

Microsoft, you have successfully gotten me to spend well over $200 for your new product, and then left out Power Pivot, driving me literally insane. I will now spend hours trying to get a refund, I will build a backup disc of my 2010 Excel and Word, and have those installed onto my new machine. I feel cheated and misled by your decision to not include Power Pivot in most versions of your excel, and extremely disappointed there is no add-in option.

Many of us would use power pivot if we could practice and learn on our home computers with our office licenses. It seems strange to me to block home users from features like this. I can't imagine that microsoft would sacrifice much revenue to open this up to users on their home machines.

• Art commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holding back functionality like this makes Microsoft seem very small. The additional revenues created by segmenting the market so narrowly would seem to me not to be nearly worth the ill will generated. If I buy Excel -- in any package -- it should be the full version.

• Richard phaneuf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not enjoy the dumbing down of different versions of office. Over the years I have bought the dos, the win 3.1, of office 6, office 97, office 2000, office 2003, , 2010, 2013, & 2016. Now that I am retired I have to pay the full price to do volunteer work with excel. i

• martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make this happen - this is a key element to train and retain a large userbase in the world of larger data sets.

Very disappointed that the Full EXCEL experinace has been diluted

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this happen Microsoft. At least train your people to try to take my money, I was trying to give it and they wouldn't tell me how. If anything, PowerPivot (or BI pack) should be available for purchase as an add-in, in the MS store, for all of us who made the mistake of buying Home.

I read the forums, I knew I had unknowingly purchased the wrong 365 version. Figuring an upgrade was doable and I needed to pay, I chatted online with Jelly B. in the billing department who sent me a link to download the 2010 PowerPivot add-in. When I told her a second time I had 2016, she connected me with the tech support department. Arvi M. in tech support remoted in and checked my version after, I told him I had 2016 Home, and he still tried to install the 2010 add-in....then told me I had to call the "professional people". When I called the "professional people", they told me I have Home and they can't help me. They then told me I have to "call the 'Enterprise people' but they aren't open right now." The funnies part is I told them all that "I have Home and I want to pay for PowerPivot. What are my options?" Not a single one of them provided me options to upgrade. I refuse to buy Excel standalone when I already have 365.

• Joanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just spent nearly 3 hours on the phone & chat with MS, and had conversations with at least a dozen people trying to change from 365 personal to 365 pro plus. I think of everyone I spoke to (in many countries) I was the only one that had ever heard of powerpivot. It seemed no one had a clue as to what version included powerpivot (thankfully I did). I was referred to technical when I had no technical issue ... Complete waste of time, when I would have happily done the upgrade myself online albeit you can't. Then I was told there was a special price, and then you had to sign up for a year to get it, and then that there was no special price ... As a minimum your name, email and phone should be transferred to the next person every time you are ...

Misleading consumers is really a miserable trick to cull customers. The promise of a full version was certainly a misleading claim. I also switched from a standalone version of Office 2013 to O365 where PowerPivot was magically omitted.
        Please include PowerPivot in next O365 release again - at least all the disappointed consumers will not have reason to call Microsoft a liar anymore.

At the very least, give DAX and the relationship manager back so that the internal table relationships are useful.

Currently, table relationships are nearly worthless. "Replaces VLOOKUP" it does not.

Feedback and Knowledge Base