How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Make Power Pivot available in all versions of Excel

Previous title: "Make the Power BI Family - PowerPIvot + PowerQuery + PowerView and PowerMap available in all versions of Excel".

430 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

(Edit April 2: clarified 2D Map availability below)

Hi Sameer & all,

Thanks for your support for these features and for your passion in driving wider adoption of these. Wanted to take a minute to acknowledge the interest and provide some context on how we’re approaching this:
    - Power Pivot: I hear you and am investigating what we can do.
    - Power View: With the emergence of Power BI and the feedback we’ve received separately from customers, we’ve updated the roadmap for Power View, please see here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Roadmap-for-Power-View-in-Excel-c1f0d0f7-adef-4f03-ae35-46d83294e96b.
    - Power Query: this is already available in all SKUs of Office Windows desktop. The only difference in higher SKUs are a few of the connectors as well as Data Catalog functionality.
    - Power Map: since releasing Power Map, we received feedback that customers wanted to visualize their data using map charts and as such we’ve released 2D map charts available in all Office 365 SKUs. In order to make this User Voice item contained, those interested in 2D map availability, please open a separate UV item to track interest in that.

So am going to scope this request down to Power Pivot only. Let’s see what we can do.

Thank you once again
    Ashvini Sharma
    Lead Program Manager
    Excel

199 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scarlette_89 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Ashvini, good to see someone from Microsoft responding to our comments.
        I agree Power Pivot should be included in the business line but please also give the possibility for those with home version to at least add it to their subscription. Students and also adults following data analysis or business analysis courses or any other course related to analysis need this option.
        Thanks

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It boggles the mind that such an important business analytics tool so many of us have come to depend on was left out of the *Business* line of products. Our only options are downgrade to Pro Plus, or pay twice as much for Enterprise just for PowerPivot. Neither is a viable option but most of my clients that are small business owners have chosen to downgrade.

Given away as a free add-on for years and now ripped away unless you pay out the nose for it, or for some reason beyond comprehension, *downgrade*. Seriously. Mind boggling.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is annoying. I use E3 at the office and am eligible to use on a second computer but I bought Office 365 Home edition for my family thinking I would have have same Office features. I already have a G-Suite license so I didn't need to do the O365 upgrade because it's only me who uses Excel to this level. So much for brand loyalty. I have just started a business and had costed in an O365 Business plan to replace G-Suite but now I'm not so sure because I don't know what the "fine print" will be on that. You should at the least offer these add-ins as a subscription addition so people can level up.

• Mark Skilling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been starting to recommend the use of power pivot to clients only to find that only some versions of excel 2016 have this feature. When working with small businesses this is a ridiculous situation. ALL versions of excel should have power pivot available so that we can actually increase the usage of this very useful feature.

I bought Office 365 Home, and one of the main reasons I'm using office and not one of the competitor products for home use, such as google sheets, is so that I can improve my office knowledge on my own time. I'm taking a class on PowerQuery and PowerPivot and about half way through the class when we start using power pivot I don't see "Manage Data Model" button. Extremely frustrating going through page after page of suggestions, only to eventually find out its just not included in my version of Excel. This really needs to be here, or an option to download install it. Have to imagine students with Office 365 Student or Education, which may be learning excel have this same frustration!

• Sasha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope, PowerPivot will be available in all Excel versions. Thank you in advance

• VasileC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank god I didn't buy office 365 before reading this. I hope you add Power Pivot to all versions asap, otherwise I won't "upgrade" from excel 2010.

• Raymond Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ashivini,

The power bi data engine/model is already available in Excel 2016 Office365 and you can connect when creating a PivotTable using "external data source".

However, it feel like MS deliberately CRIPPLE the functionality by removing the PowerPivot menu and other feature to manage data engine/model.

I understand MS push to PowerBI desktop. There are a few key major reasons to use Excel instead of powerbi desktop.

1. Power bi desktop does not have ANY print function. I have to send the data out to the Powerbi cloud/Service in order to print any reports from powerbi desktop. Why?

2. In powerbi desktop, I cannot create a report table by combining bespoke data points such as impression, visits, transactions by same date and some business category in power bi.

In Excel, I can look up each metric from different worksheets or workbooks and combine them into a single table template for managers. The ability to combine bespoke data points is a major advantage that Excel has over other BI reporting tools.

• Mimoune Djouallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have paid for office 2013, and i am happy with it, I love to pay for office365 home, but as long as PowerPivot is not included, I will not upgrade, one lost customer and I suspect I am not alone.

• datascientist7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are you giving your business away? Myself and many colleagues are being driven away from Microsoft BY MICROSOFT. We MUST try Tableau, Google sheets, etc. You wont even give us a sign-on to Power BI. Even if map charts were available in Excel 2016, they evidently do not include a map base layer (roads cities etc), so you are laying down and letting Google Fusion Maps beat you?

If map chart is only available in 365, please admit it. And please CORRECT THIS MARKETING STRATEGY! Why do you say "available in all SKUs"? So Office Professional Plus 2016 is not an SKU????????????

2D map chart is NOT AVAILABLE IN Office Professional Plus 2016 latest Version as of 3/25/2018 (Version 1802 Build 9029.2253 Click-toRun)! WHYYYYYYY?

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This thread has been going on for ...... 1 year? 2 years. How long?

• Pamela Nathe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Ashvini, and thank you for your thoughts. I am particularly frustrated by not being able to access PowerPivot especially since I already have a version of this feature in Office 2013 which I cannot run with Office 365 as they are not compatible. Since there are features in Office 365 which I like which are not in Office 2013 I have decided to do without PowerPivot, but frankly I just feel gypped.

Please add powerpivot and related tools to ALL office365 versions of Excel; trying to come up with a plan that supports Excel with powerpivot but also something like Teams... is quite complex and unncessarily difficult and expensive.

I remember years ago, I was privileged to Beta test Office 2010, and the add-in, Project Gemini, the precursor to PowerPivot. I used it all the time at home until I could get it installed at work. Now you take it out of Excel 2016 (Office 365 Home) to promote Power BI!? WTF?! I don't use Powerpivot, a known staple of Excel at home much, but I just renewed my Office 365 account and for this reason alone, I'm thinking of dropping Office 365 altogether and converting back to Excel 2013. Really Microsoft, you BUILT Powerpivot for Excel and now rip it out? I do NOT NEED/REQUIRE a locked product of Power BI. I NEED Powerpivot. Bring it back or lose my subscription.

When people buy a subscription to Office 365 Home edition, the Microsoft web page clearly states: Fully installed Office applications

Always have the latest, fully installed versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, and Access and capture your ideas however you work best—using a keyboard, pen, or touchscreen.

FULLY INSTALLED MEANS POWERPIVOT IS SUPPOSED TO BE INCLUDED IN THE HOME (AND EVERY OTHER SUBSCRIPTION MODEL).

WE DEMAND THAT MICROSOFT PROVIDE POWERPIVOT FEATURES IN ALL SUBSCRIPTIONS IMMEDIATELY!

MICROSOFT IS COMMITTING FRAUD AND DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING, ALL OF WHICH SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED BY THE DOJ IF THE COMPANY FAILS TO DELIVER THE PROMISED FULLY INSTALLED VERSIONS OF ALL APPS.

Please add PowerPivot and the related BI features available to ALL VERSIONS OF EXCEL 2016 and later. It is blatant and misleading advertising that states that when we sign up for Office 365 we are getting ALL OF THE FEATURES in EXCEL.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base