Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Improve Data Validation (make it AutoComplete based on typed characters)

Data Validation needs an auto complete in the List Option
It also needs to support Table Structured references directly in the List option without having to wrap it in a Name

136 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add me to the list. Then add me 100 times more. It is depressing how little attention has been given toward modernising data validation. If you should address this annoyance, please also look into the string limitation when applying data validation via VBA.

Seriously? Not being able to modify Viewable List Length and No Autocomplete is amateurish - at best. How can this not be one of the top priorities for MS?

Absolutely needed. Frankly, it doesn't make sense that this feature isn't operational.

• Xipha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be a thing. I frequently have to use a VBA workaround for this and it gets messy.

• ZC88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow an AutoComplete option for in cell drop down, in data validation (Allow-List).
        It would be extremely friendly for users when we have long validation lists, such as 240 country names or alike.

• Vamsi Srinivasan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Is this happening? Please!

Why is this not already a thing, I can't believe one needs to insert Active X boxes, and write VBA to currently achieve this functionality.

How has this been implemented in Excel Online, but not in the desktop application?

• Denis Kostin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a more advanced ability to edit and debug the validation rules. Such a mechanism is described in https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/31326916-advanced-formula-manager
        In the current version, it's not convenient not to debug a complicated formula, it can not even be fully viewed, because we can not change the size of the window. This is a mockery of us!

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe Autocomplete is not already a feature.

I would like to reiterate a comment below: Also list should accept literal arrays like {1,4,5} which can include references, and should also work for references like A1,B5,C12 instead of always having to create a sequence of options on a spreadsheet somewhere and then reference that.

Also, allow an option to disregard blanks so that I can select an entire column as a reference in order to allow the addition of new list items without needing to change the data validation reference every time.

• Cyril M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it would be very usefull.
        And extremely useful if autocomplete would work on Excel mobile under Android !

• Felipe Costa Gualberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Allow longer data validation input messages.
        2. Allow users to show a table, and select the range, for data validation input messages.
        3. Allow formulas for data validation input messages. For example the message could equal the text from another cell or multiple cells.
        4. Allow modification to fonts for data validation input messages.

I know we can use INDIRECT("Table[Column]") but that is not a good practice because it is volatile and if you change Name or Column name, the binding is lost.

Hurry up and do this already!! I need my invoice to auto populate when I start typing in a customers name from the validated list. Scrolling through hundreds of names is time wasting and absolutely crazy!.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base