How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Improve Data Validation (make it AutoComplete based on typed characters)

Data Validation needs an auto complete in the List Option
It also needs to support Table Structured references directly in the List option without having to wrap it in a Name

99 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sameer Bhide shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cyril M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it would be very usefull.
        And extremely useful if autocomplete would work on Excel mobile under Android !

• Felipe Costa Gualberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Allow longer data validation input messages.
        2. Allow users to show a table, and select the range, for data validation input messages.
        3. Allow formulas for data validation input messages. For example the message could equal the text from another cell or multiple cells.
        4. Allow modification to fonts for data validation input messages.

I know we can use INDIRECT("Table[Column]") but that is not a good practice because it is volatile and if you change Name or Column name, the binding is lost.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hurry up and do this already!! I need my invoice to auto populate when I start typing in a customers name from the validated list. Scrolling through hundreds of names is time wasting and absolutely crazy!.

Autofill from first letter into Data Validated cells!! I am desperate for this!! Too much scrolling down to find the item you need through lists that are too long. I just want to type "To" and have "Tomatoes, fresh, Tomatoes, Diced etc." and return on the correct one. I cannot believe it is 2017 and this is still not available. It should be a standard option for Data Validation. Thanks

• Heidi Enho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for Table Structured reference would be really important and useful feature.

1. Allow longer data validation input messages.
        2. Allow users to show a table, and select the range, for data validation input messages.
        3. Allow formulas for data validation input messages. For example the message could equal the text from another cell or multiple cells.
        4. Allow modification to fonts for data validation input messages.

This is a function that Google Sheets uses, type in a few letters and it filters the possible results. It makes data validation a fantastic tool, especially if you are using large lists (850+ names), and trying to cross reference (ensures you always spell a name the same way).

• Rolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Autocomplete words for data validation - list is big missing feature! Imagine you have data validation list with 300 items...going up and down with scroll bar is annoying...I have waited autocomplete feature for a long time!...I would like to type 2 or 3 word and see the list filter itselft to only show items containg thos words in any part of the string!...Please MCSFT...add this feature!

• Oz du Soleil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto-complete would be an excellent feature in data validation. Lots of times I've had to put several hundred items in a dropdown list. Let's eliminate scrolling and make it easier to get through the long list of options.

• David MacDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

on drop custom down validation lists provide first letter navigation (auto complete) like the online version.

• Brett Ables commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also list should accept literal arrays like {1,4,5} which can include references, and should also work for references like A1,B5,C12 instead of always having to create a sequence of options on a spreadsheet somewhere and then reference that.

• Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also making Data Validation validate data pasted directly into a cell would be nice (I'm still at XL2010, so I do not know if the later versions have done this yet or not).

Feedback and Knowledge Base