Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Check and X

Conditional formatting is not good enough. I would like a big X and a big check mark right in the main menu. This would be so usable to so many.

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

M clark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! A checkmark character would really be helpful to use in columns to show an action has been completed!!

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Duplicate of your own post:
        https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/8914108-check-and-x

One thing that you could do is just find the check mark once and it will be in your recently used symbols. Or do what I do and look up the character on Google for copying and pasting. ✓✗

I think that it is worth mentioning that the check mark and X mark would be used mostly by those entering data and not so much those building the spreadsheet.

Also consider this: if the check mark were in the Ribbon, then the user would have to move their mouse back and forth a lot to select a new cell, mark it, select a new cell, ... Basically, the user either needs to select cells with the keyboard and mark them with the mouse or select cells with the mouse and use characters other than the check mark and X mark for marking.

• M clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe it's a simple item in the character map, yet it's very hard to find the check mark. I think that being a spreadsheet, a checkmark is very important and it should have a button. I made a macro for it but I shouldn't have to. Conditional formatting is not good enough (too hard)

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Home tab, go Conditional Formatting, Icon Sets. Conditional formatting isn't just cell formatting. ;)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to place a check mark next to a name on a list is this possible? This way I know I have done something

Feedback and Knowledge Base