Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Include "Compare Files" in all Office 365 plans

There is a powerful "Compare Files" command in Excel 2013 to see the differences between two workbooks (it's in the "Inquire" ribbon tab). However it only seems to be available in certain Office 365 plans, and I haven't found anywhere that says when you buy plan x you get this functionality and not that.
It would be great if this could be included in all versions of the product!

27 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tim Wright shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Compare Files to 365 Home. It sure would help when deciding which file you need to save. I don't need a Business Account.

If this is already planned, when will it be available.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make available Inquire Tab to compare two sheets in Office 365 Home edition.
    It is most useful tool to find error without using vlookup and match several times.

• Becky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, the Microsoft website does say that if you have 365 version that you have this functionality but it is only available in Pro version and not the home version 365. I bring work home and we have not yet been approved to use excel 2013 Excel Pro. I'm tired of having to save things on a CD-R to bring home to work on and then save it to CD-RW to take it back to the office ( we can't save to a RW). When you have a lot of data (60,000+ lines) that you need to compare for duplicates in multiple spreadsheets in the workbook, it would be so nice to be able to do the compare electronically instead of having to do EVERY, SINGLE row.

• Jim Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is lots of personal data about my house, yard, gasoline-powered machines (usage and maintenance schedule), battery-powered computational devices (recharge history, recharge/discharge problems), etc., that I collect in Excel.

I store the spreadsheets on OneDrive but because of the unreliability of OneDrive in synching, duplicates copies of spreadsheets are often generated and it's very hard to figure out what the differences between spreadsheets are. I am very disappointed to see that the INQUIRE comparison utility is only included in more expensive, business subscriptions to Office 365 and think that such a utility ought to be included by default in even the most basic paid versions of Excel. Same is true for other Office apps (Word does have Document Compare built in).

• C. Yusuf Mumtaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is only available with Office Professional Pro Plus; you need a business account to get the Inquire add-in. I think Microsoft should make this available in all Office 365 plans.

Feedback and Knowledge Base