Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Have a new "database" sheet type which runs super fast

9 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Levi Bailey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Levi Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ash

I think you're talking about this view: https://support.content.office.net/en-us/media/98ab21eb-4042-4a2d-8f92-d345bbe5ca78.png

Yes, this is largely a request of hosting that experience as a new sheet tab in Excel (so the "Sheets" collection would be able to include the existing Worksheet and Chart objects as well as something like new DatabaseSheet objects). There would be no need for an equivalent to the pane at the bottom of the image (where measures are defined). There would need to be an easy way for logic to flow between Worksheets and DatabaseSheets.

I hope that makes sense? Happy to try again if not.

Best, Levi

• AdminAshvini Sharma (Lead Program Manager, Microsoft) (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Levi,

Thanks for the response. Since you're familiar with the Table viewer in Power Pivot, wondering how the functionality of the "database" sheet type would be different than that capability. I.e. is the request a matter of hosting that experience as a new sheet tab in Excel? Or would that still be too much?

thanks
        ash

• Levi Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ash

I'm not Bill but I did create the original suggestion and have looked at the 'Data Model' and 'Power Pivot' capabilities of Excel 2013. These are fantastic features however they can be overwhelming to many Excel users, so even considering these existing tools I believe that a simpler "database" sheet type would be useful.

Best, Levi

• Bill Bekenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the normal sheet size to be reduced to something more manageable, but still bigger than 256 columns (Excel 2003). A "Database" sheet could then be much larger but should be restricted to having NO FORMULAS. I think that would potentially speed up calculation etc. as these large sheets would not need to be included in the calculation of formulas.

Feedback and Knowledge Base