Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should really be integrated into Excel itself.

Link to VBA workaround: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/blog/retain-font-formats-after-changing-excel-shapes-formula-link

13 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Newman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a broader problem in Excel.

Another example is, for Excel 2013, if I set an indent for a column (horizontal positioning), then later changed the vertical positioning, the indent disappeared, just gone. I was force-upgraded by the boss so now I have 365 and it does not happen there.

So these things exist across the product but it seems they CAN be fixed. With any luck, they'll do this one soon.

• Wyn Hopkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, these things may seem minor but when you use them a lot it really detracts from the efficiency of development

• Mynda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only does it do that when you use text formulas, but if you cut or copy text from one part of the shape and move it to another location in the same shape, it will also remove the formatting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base