Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Give users the ability to put the color back in all the Toolbar icons. The October 2018 white/blue icons are impossible to decipher.

Give users the ability to put the color back in all the Toolbar icons. The October 2018 white/blue icons are impossible to decipher. Huge step backwards.

19 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ElderWand shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strongly agree -- new icons make it hard to find the command I want in my customized quick access toolbar

• Keithabcxyz123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First let thank MS for enlarging the size at least. Thank you for that. Now on to this suggestion.

Productivity suffers when people have to stare and think about what they're clicking on. Proper UI design allows regular users to develop and instinct for what to click without thinking about it.

What you're doing with monochrome themes, it may look great in design publications, you might win an award, but it can be **** to work with.

(Don't let UI become like architecture, where the Sydney Opera House won numerous world-wide architectural awards, despite having garbage acoustics, and an orchestra pit with so little floor space and so little head room it could not accommodate the small orchestra needed for opera. FUNCTIONALITY FIRST, LOOKS SECOND !!!)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Consider that there are no options to create text-based menus with meaningful shortcut keys on the QAT, so that these icons are all we have for recognition purposes. I have over 25 icons there for Excel and my own functions that I use all the time. The shift in color scheme (making the items difficult to discern) and the enforced single document interface (side-by-side files now truncate the QAT) has almost demolished the usefulness of this major customization feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pedro Henrique Garcia - thanks you for the info on downgrading to get the more usable and vision friendly version back. When security updates are required, is it possible to select all updates except the one that changes the icons/display?

• Pedro Henrique Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To downgrade to the better, more usable at a glance version, you have to:

1. Disable updates
        2. run the following command in an elevated command prompt:

cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun"
        officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.10730.20102

• waddeva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. An icon's sole purpose is to be a recocognised, differentiated symbol.
        So what fool thought it would be a good idea to make them all monochromatic and barely recognisable? To what possible purpose?

Laughingly, when you create your own ribbon group, with color icons you will recognise, the icons are so huge MS must think they are for a kindergarten child, and the ribbon becomes even more large and cumbersome.

This whole ribbon nonsense is a retrograde step. Time wasting, antiproductive and with no thought for the user's needs or wants.

• Lisa Boyland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For older eyes, the all white icons with black outlining can be hard to see...please add color back so I'm not wasting my employers time putting on glasses all the time!

Feedback and Knowledge Base