Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Fix this problem: "sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist. "

Fix this ridiculous problem: "Sometimes you might find yourself with a workbook that has links you can’t find even though Excel tells you they exist."

28 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dave Bull shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this suggestion is about the same as this one (with more votes) :

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/8778088-make-it-easier-to-find-external-links

but it's so important and obviously lacking that I'm voting here too.

Note: I seem to remember that one hard to find place where links can hide is in conditionnal formating

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I posted this same suggestion once before. I will put in a vote here and agree whole heartedly with Roy - if Excel finds it on loading, Excel should be able to direct us to it.
        I most frequently find this issue when someone has copied a chart from another workbook - the trendline, or error bars are likely sources of stray links, but hard to find in a large workbook. A Search for the offending file name often, but not always, works.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel has a button to clear all links in Data|Edit Links, but it only seems to work well on links in cells in the spreadsheet, not links in the Name manager, or hidden or more obscure links. That button should wipe out ALL links.

• Simon.Q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

…. it's even worse when the links are in Named Ranges because <Ctrl><F> won't find them. You have to check the Name Manager every time.

• Simon.Q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree... even if Excel only told you the reference of one linked cell in each group it would help with resolution... but a full list would be perfect.

Currently, one has to either break the links blindly or hunt all over the workbook using <Ctrl><F>.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. If Excel can realize there are links, it can report WHATEVER it is basing the assertion upon.

Then offer options, like a permanent breakage of the links, or a temporary one. And an option to edit directly the offending bit of material: with the object of editing away something it is misinterpreting as well as the object of being able to edit real links. The list should be presented in the "side panel" motif, each one selectable as one wishes and not dropped until Excel is told to remove it from the list.

If Excel can see something as a link (whether it be real or corruption) and act in any way on that thought, it can add this to the list of acts it can perform.

Feedback and Knowledge Base