Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Multiple y axes on xy charts

Right now, xy charts only supports a primary and a secondary Y axis. It would be great if we would be able to draw multiple lines with different scales, each one with its own Y axis. And when I say multiple, I mean more than just 2, as it is supported right now.

Attached an example with 4 Y axis.

18 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fabio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • George Charalambous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a fantastic suggestion. It is a must have for excel. For those working with financial/economic data such as myself it is a must have. For instance, various economic indicators are correlated (positively or negatively) and in general follow the business cycle. Thus it is not unusual to want to plot real gdp, the unemployment gap, ism pmi etc. which will require 3 axis. Thus a multi axis feature (both for LHS and RHS) is a must have. Not to mention the need for "recession bars".

Currently, the only way i can get around this is by overlaying multiple charts on top of one another with a transparent background. In case this gets implemented, here's how it might look like in excel.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's bad enough to have two axes with different scales on the same chart. You cannot compare anything. Terrible idea!!!

• AHarris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used other charting software that allows this, seems Excel should too. Good idea.

• Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea -- I was about to post the same thing but found your suggestion was here already.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base