Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Text Interpreter Function without Evaluate()

I would like to harness the ability to evaluate a text formula expression in a range or table. I was wondering if anyone else has thought about this before. It seems that FORMULATEXT() or INDIRECT() could be used for this purpose but alas..... it seems they cannot. Basically, the scenario I would find it most useful would be the ability to set up a formula lookup table and essentially do a vlookup to get the correct formula to use for a particular variable. This would eliminate the need to inject custom VBA functions or use EVALUATE(). This type of functionality would be ideal for avoiding the use of complex nested formulas....essentially making it easier to identify what a specific set of formulas is meant to accomplish. I've seen a few articles that reference using the EVALUATE() function to accomplish this goal…. and I can certainly get my mind around this method. However, the twist is… I would prefer this to be possible with a native function without having to save the file as an .xlsm. I feel like this functionality would be very useful and there should be a simpler way to do it…..

Here's an example reference:
https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/excel-factor-12-secret-evaluate-function

13 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt Mickle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base