Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Create a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate

Besides Office, Excel files can be created using numerous software tools. More often than not, batches of macro-enabled Excel files are processed with scripts for productivity purposes. However, VBA code signing cannot be part of an automated process, as it is a manual task that requires opening & saving the file in Excel.

This request is about creating a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate, similar to MS SignTool.

In addition, the existing macro signing process in Office is not 100% compatible with Open XML specifications. I can clarify this statement in a private discussion with MS engineers due to its security implications

79 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Spreadsheet1.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Agus manggala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this software

Very usefull for vba excel developer to protect our idea and intellectual property.

Warm regard from Indonesia

• Spreadsheet1.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your contribution! I was not aware of SIPs.

I followed the instructions in the ReadMe.txt file. Batch code signing of OOXML files worked like a charm. However, I could not verify the signatures using Signtool, but all VBA macros tested were reported as signed by Office.

I guess this request should be considered resolved!

• Sancarn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really feels like something that should already be possible from the VBIDE COM object... However I cannot find any documentation for the COM object itself, let alone the digital signatures from it.

• Volker Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a tool would be useful and may be combined with bug fixing that Microsoft has to do anyways in Office 2016 macro security check. I am developing on Windows 10 with Office 2010 (for its offline help) and Office 2016, both 32 bit, installed in parallel. Frequently, PowerPoint 2016 blocks a file containing a macro that I've just closed in 2010 with a valid signature and that I mean to check in PowerPoint 2016. PowerPoint 2016 simply informs without an option to activate macros. My workaround is annoying: After compiling the VBA project and saving the file in Office 2016, thereby signing it in Office 2016, Office 2016 permits the macros. So I stand vulnerable of such a situation arising at the customer who won't be able to use my workaround!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A PowerShell cmdlet would be a suitable alternative to a "straight up" command line tool.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And please make this tool work with the other Office programs that include VBA. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint etc.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base