Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Create a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate

Besides Office, Excel files can be created using numerous software tools. More often than not, batches of macro-enabled Excel files are processed with scripts for productivity purposes. However, VBA code signing cannot be part of an automated process, as it is a manual task that requires opening & saving the file in Excel.

This request is about creating a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate, similar to MS SignTool.

In addition, the existing macro signing process in Office is not 100% compatible with Open XML specifications. I can clarify this statement in a private discussion with MS engineers due to its security implications

80 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Spreadsheet1.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Agus manggala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this software

Very usefull for vba excel developer to protect our idea and intellectual property.

Warm regard from Indonesia

• Spreadsheet1.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your contribution! I was not aware of SIPs.

I followed the instructions in the ReadMe.txt file. Batch code signing of OOXML files worked like a charm. However, I could not verify the signatures using Signtool, but all VBA macros tested were reported as signed by Office.

I guess this request should be considered resolved!

• Sancarn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really feels like something that should already be possible from the VBIDE COM object... However I cannot find any documentation for the COM object itself, let alone the digital signatures from it.

• Volker Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a tool would be useful and may be combined with bug fixing that Microsoft has to do anyways in Office 2016 macro security check. I am developing on Windows 10 with Office 2010 (for its offline help) and Office 2016, both 32 bit, installed in parallel. Frequently, PowerPoint 2016 blocks a file containing a macro that I've just closed in 2010 with a valid signature and that I mean to check in PowerPoint 2016. PowerPoint 2016 simply informs without an option to activate macros. My workaround is annoying: After compiling the VBA project and saving the file in Office 2016, thereby signing it in Office 2016, Office 2016 permits the macros. So I stand vulnerable of such a situation arising at the customer who won't be able to use my workaround!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A PowerShell cmdlet would be a suitable alternative to a "straight up" command line tool.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And please make this tool work with the other Office programs that include VBA. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint etc.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base