Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

short cut key for Paste just value

Many tims I copy and paste things around from difrent webpages or diffrent spreadsheets into my excel file and it keeps the format too wich causes problem, unless I right click and choos the option, which is so frustrating when you are copy/pasting over hundred things.
I tried to set one but there is no way. I tried Macro bet it did not work.
Please please just add a shortcut key (like Shift+Ctrl+v) or let us to set the default like MS Word.

23 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AHarris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find Alt+H V V quick and easy. I use it all the time and its variants, Alt+H V F for formulas, Alt+H V R for formats. There are others but I use those three all the time.

I don't think resources need to be spent on this.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must say, after a few weeks of remembering to try Mr. Hopkins' Right-Click key, V... it's magical.

A wonderful world!

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like Mr. Hopkins' Ctrl-V-V. Not only would it be easy (even easier than Alt-E, S, V, Enter) but I picture it as holding Ctrl down for both V's, not just the first (seems obvious, I know, but...) and enabling the program to watch for TWO letters while Ctrl is continuously held down opens a whole new world of shortcuts. And while few people give a tinker's da(r)n about anyone else's favorite idea for a "desperately needed" shortcut, but the truth is we need more shortcuts.

And unless someone's going out on the limb of total, and I mean FROM THE GROUND UP TOTAL, restructuring for programs' shortcuts, we need a new batch to use. Ctrl or Alt held down continously while two (ooo... or... more?) keys are pressed offers a way forward in which logical batches can be assigned rather than picking the needed 2 or 4 from the few combos left. (Logical as in the Shift-"Key" for inserting something, and Ctrl-"Key" for replacing paradigm, that kind of related batch of needs.)

• Wyn Hopkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many keyboards have a right click key next to the space bar. Press that followed by v to paste as values.

Alternatively you can press Ctrl with V then Ctrl then V

• dov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

google spreadsheets has ctrl+shift+v

extremely convinient!!! when trying to edit a bunch of data and make it =Proper() for example.

• P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's accelerator keys you can use to paste just the values. I've used it over a thousands times so it's just second nature to me now. After copying press: ALT + e -> s -> v

• KERATL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right click the gray area of the ribbon, 'customize quick access toolbar', then select 'all commands' and add "paste and keep text only" and also "paste values" (which button is enabled will depend on the data in the clipboard).

Not the same as a hotkey combo, but it does give you direct access to those commands with just one click, regardless of what ribbon is active.

HTH

Feedback and Knowledge Base