Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Shortcut for paste as values

90% of the time I want to past as values, so as to keep the formatting consistent in the location I am pasting. Rather than having to right click then select "paste as values" it would be good to have a shortcut to be able to do this instead.

42 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Graham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard de Garis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waddeva, thanks for your tip. I actually set up such a macro, but as far as I can tell, the only keyboard shortcut permitted is a combination of Option+Cmd+<key>. I'm using Excel 365 on Mac OS.
        In the end, I had to go into Mac System Preferences->Keyboard, Shortcuts tab, App Shortcuts, and set up Cmd+Shift+V to trigger Excel Edit->Paste Values.
        In Excel, my process is now Cmd+Shift+V, V, Enter. Not to bad. But still, not a terribly good reflection on Microsoft, I feel, since it is functionality that was in place at one time.

• waddeva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had a shortcut to a macro I made for paste vals for sixteen years, I'd forgotten it wasn't built-in.
        CTR+SHIFT+V is just the ticket for me.

Sub PasteValues()

ActiveCell.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues

End Sub

This is old but works fine in XL2016

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that available options are somewhat cumbersome and will not result in wide usage whereas paste values is at least as usefull and would be as frequently used as normal paste

• James Clarkson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A useful shortcut for Paste Special is:
        CTRL+ALT+V Straight into Paste Special... dialog, then you can hit V or any of the other accelerators to quickly complete your Pastes Special.

• Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. From the ideas given so far, IMO 'Right-click, V' is a pretty decent solution.

IMO:
        'ALT, E, S, V' is cumbersome and slow,
        'Ctrl+V, Ctrl, V' is slow, and
        'Right-click (keyboard button), V' isn't great because if you're pasting something, odds are your right hand is on the mouse, so it means you'd need to move it to the keyboard to do this shortcut.

Ctrl+Shift+V for paste values though would be fantastic!

• Nolan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Paste Special Values is always in the first position on my QAT so I can use Alt 1. It took months before I stopped using Alt H V V. :-)

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wyn Hopkins in https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/34353574-short-cut-key-for-paste-just-value (same idea) pointed out that many keyboards have a "Right-Click" key to the right of the spacebar.

If so, you can press "Right-Click", then V to paste values in a simple keyboard shortcut.

It takes a LOT of effort to overcome habits of the past enough to give it a real try (Alt-E-S-V is very ingrained in me), but once you do... it's a magical, zen-like experience...

"Right-Click", V. Or together like Ctrl-V if old habits are just too hard to break.

Thank you Mr. Hopkins!

• dov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In google spreadsheets, they have CTRL+SHIFT+V as the paste values shortcut. It's amazing! I sometimes upload excel to google when i have a lot of paste values to do on an individual basis...

Pls pls add this tiny addition!!

btw, even in excel, u can do a shortened version (in addition to the alt shortcuts), but it doesn't come close to the way google did it:

1) CTRL+V
        2)CTRL
        3)V

the second step brings up the little paste pop up near the cell..

But Google's shortcut beats them all!!!

I would love to see this added. Thanks again

• Derrick Mickle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keyboard shortcut already exists: Type ALT key (by itself), then E, then S, then V (think "ALT ESV"--it's a bit counter-intuitive but it works ).

WHAT'S GOING ON: Pressing the ALT key by itself brings up the shortcut keys for every item in the ribbon. Note that almost every function in the ribbon has an assigned keyboard shortcut combination. If you have something copied to the clipboard, "ALT,E,S" calls a legacy short-cut key that brings up the Paste Special window. Note the underlined letters in each function in the window.

ALT, E, S, V = Paste [V]alues

ALT, E, S, T = Paste Forma[T] -- faster than Format Painter

ALT, E, S, F = Paste [F]ormulas -- allows you to copy a formula to cells without affecting formatting (super useful)

ALT, E, S, E = Transpos[E] -- transposes columns

I use "ALT, E, S, V" so much that I'd raise holy **** if it went away.

• KERATL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until such a button gets prioritized onto a ribbon, try this:

Right click on an open grey area of the ribbon, select customize quick access toolbar
        Select "all commands" on the left
        Find the paste values item (they are in alphabetical order)
        click the "Add" button
        If needed, move it up or down the list of quick access toolbar items
        Click OK

it should now be in the green bar along the top of Excel, above the ribbon- always available and just a single click :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base