Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Add a Reporting Ribbon to Excel to consolidate and highlight the amazing capabilities of Power Query and Power Pivot

Tables, Power Query, Power Pivot and Pivot Tables are amazing tools that will transform the way people build their reports, but only once they know about them!

Let's SHOUT about how good these things are and how well they work together by putting them onto a single new Ribbon called "Reporting" - something like the attached image.

76 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wyn Hopkins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Wyn Hopkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bill, the name is tricky, and I'm sure there's probably a better name.

I'm looking at it from who it's aimed at / why have a separate ribbon. The reason is awareness for those users who simply miss out because these new features are hidden away.

How do we capture their attention, what resonates at a general level? I'm not particularly set on "Reporting" as a name but it does sort of capture why someone should look at this ribbon.

If your job involves reporting and you're not using Tables, Power Query, Pivot Tables and Power Pivot then you're missing out.

To me reporting is something dynamic and interactive that requires regular refreshing / updating.

• Bill Manville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure I like the name Reporting.

Most of these icons are related to getting, transforming and analysing data.
        To me a report is something rather static that may result from such operations, but I wouldn't look there for those operations.
        I daren't suggest "Get and Transform" though...

Sergei, definite room for improvement on my hacked together version. The Power BI publisher features I'd like to see on there too. Plus I'm sure the Excel team will have some usage stats on most popular Get From button - personally I'm always using from Excel or From Folder, but others will be different.

Calling it out as an awesome set of features is the key to me (plus grouping together the whole data analysis / reporting story into a cohesive place).

• Sergei Baklan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The question is what to put into such ribbon. On your picture I'll miss Existing Connections, From Text/CSV, Add to Data Model, Pin Manager... Keep too many - it'll be overloaded. Keep few - quite many will be unhappy

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FWIW, by the name alone, I would interpret "Power BI connector" as a Power Query feature to connect to [and optionally import from] a data set hosted on powerbi.com.

Plus the Power BI Publisher buttons would be great. Although I'd rename them as Power BI Connector :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base