Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

What version of Excel am I using?

I use different versions of Excel when working at home, at the office or at client's workplaces.
I would just like to know, quickly, what version of Excel I am working on. This used to be under the Help Menu in a pop-up dialogue box called "About", if my memory serves me. But I cannot find this in the latest version I have at home (part of Office 365), so I don't actually know which version I am using.

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Baldwin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LuBu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using MS Office Professional Plus 2016, which I learned from <File> <Account>.
        Then click the button 'About Excel'. Of course when Office is 2016 then Excel is also 2016 but you see here also e.g. 64 bit and the product ID.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Losing <About> to find what version a file was written in, or that you are currently using, is hard.
        Re: <File>,Account> - That only tells me Office 365, whatever the file's original version.
        Re: =INFO("EXCEL_VERSION") doesnt work for me either.
        =INFO("RELEASE") does.

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jan, I think I was able to find the year of release from the =INFO formula. Thx!

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

=INFO("VERSIE_EXCEL") in dutch

=INFO("EXCEL_VERSION") in english?

I agree! I don't know if I'm using an installed version of Excel, a cloud version....

File/Account indicates "About Excel . . . Version 1805 (Build 9330.2087)" worthless info not helpful to me at all. I'm sure its helpful for tech support.

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look under <File><Account>. This works for Excel 2013 and Excel in Office 365.

I would like to second that. I am working in Excel right now and I haven't a clue what version this is and I am so far unable to locate any means, short of exiting out and restarting apps, to find out. Used to have "About" under the Help menu, which was actually helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base