Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Number format thousand separator and no decimals

Every time (many days a year) I train people in Excel, someone ask why there is no button or shortcut to obtain a number format with "thousand separator and no decimals". At least - in northern Europe - this is the most common used number format. If "button-solution" not possible for Microsoft in order to have common buttons world-wide, at least a shortcut for this has been much appreciated. (Note that the current button for thousand separator and two decimals could not be used, though the alignment in that format are not disired/good and two decimals used).
Today I teach student to:
1) be quick to hit Ctrl+1 -- Tab - down arrow -- Tab -- downarrow -- Tab -- space -- Enter
2) Use my macro button - but hornestly, I hate to have macro for something common and simple due to lack of "undo".
3) Maybe some day (and I said that for 10 years now) Microsoft will do it :-)

362 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tobias Ljung shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

94 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jim T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

isn't this just a custom format already available? #,##0 What would be more globally helpful is the ability to save a custom format as a ribbon button in excel. Then it's not a matter of being for just one format, but giving the user the power to create a custom format and make it quickly accessable.

• Joseph T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like just giving users the option to customize the ribbon would be the best option here. If I could pick my top 2 or 3 most-used formatting options to put in place of these, I’d love that.

• Tobias Ljung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris, one problem still there; the alignment is still a problem even though you get rid of decimals.

• Sergei Baklan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Serg, more exactly that affects Accounting format. With Chris' approach if you click on comma icon in number section of the ribbon you'll have the number with thousand separator but without decimals.

• Serg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris, it work for currency, but it need for all numeric format too not currency only

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can set this as a default, but it is not done in Excel. Use Control Panel settings > Currency. It will work with numbers. Here is a video I put on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2-2IYgzKWc I tested by typing in numbers, selecting the column and clicking Comma Style in Excel 2016. Closed Excel, restarted and test in a new workbook. Still works.

Andre, your suggested solution is only working in the current workbook (not in new/other workbooks), which means you have to do this in every workbook…but a nice solution is a macro connected to the Comma-style (with undo-functionallity) - se Bill Jelen´s recent video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUZf88FmS3M
        BUT...still we need a change of the standard button as suggested.

• Andre Terra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is already possible with Excel as is. Just change the Number Format of the 'Comma' style (Alt H J, right click Comma, select 'Modify') and the Comma button will now format it to whatever format you picked.

To make this somewhat permanent, save your blank workbook with the modified Comma style as a Template Workbook called Book.xltx under your XLSTART folder and this will be your new workbook every time you open Excel

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have a formatting button on the ribbon that can be customized. I have a preferred number format that I always use. Would like to be able to set a 1 click solution that is visible on the ribbon and ideally available for use with an Alt key shortcut.

• Dennis Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until that new button arrives (if it ever does), you can press Alt+h+9 twice to get rid of the display of two decimal places

• Niclas Erlandsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggestion to replace the Comma Style button is great. More users will use it. I always use the present one and 99% of the times followed by two clicks on the button for lessen one decimal. I'd prefer one click on one button instead of three clicks on two buttons. Total button area will not increased by this nice suggestion.

• Bart Titulaer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe leave the button as is is, but give the user with the quick menu (right mouse button) the option to change the behavior of this button a bit. for example the 000 button, set decimals and the finance/currency button: set the default currency.

Chris, Yes a button on the ribbon. Nobody uses the current button “Comma Style” (the button in the middle of the group Number in the Home-tab). Replace that button with my suggested button = No impact on the total ribbon size.
        Our Excel training company train thousands of Excel users every year, and I have not heard anyone actually using the current “Comma Style”-button - and they really love to have my suggested button instead, I promise you!
        a Product Manager of Excel should always analyze the impact for criteria like usability and time cost. And if users had 1 (one) mouse-click instead of 7 (seven) mouse-click EVERY time, I promise you…you will save a lot of time for the total numbers of Excel users.

Please note: I am not trying to argue against implementing what you are asking. But, if I were the Product Managers of Excel, I would definitely analyse the Impact of your suggestion against the criteria i mentioned (probably in a more "defined" way though), in order to rank suggestions made on this board by "Urgency"/"Impact"

You mean a button on the ribbon? If so: Well, technically, a button for everything would be nice. But then the ribbon would be larger than a football field.

From my perspective, the current solution is not complicated and works perfectly. Are the people you teach not able to implement this solution?

From an efficiency perspective, I don't see a great gain in Productivity by adding a button for this, but that's just me. It costs only a couple of seconds to apply the currently existing solution.

Do you have a use case where adding a button would produce significant gains in the following?

-Usability
        -Ease of (Accessibility)
        -Time Cost

Hi Chris, everyone knows how to do it the way you describe (and I did also mention two alternative ways avbove) - BUT wouldn´t be more easy with a button? :-)

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something, but is this not easily available via "Format Cells"->"Number", and setting the "Decimal Places" field to 0, and also checking the "Use 1000 Separator (.)"?

Apologies again if I am misunderstanding the question, but to me, this seems to be the easy solution?

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base