Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Allow "true" footnotes to be added into cells

Although comments serve as "pseudo footnotes" today in Excel, it is very cumbersome when there are many of them, and you have to enable the "Print Row and Column Headings" setting in order to know which comment belongs to which cell. Enabling this setting also makes the printout look too busy.

Instead, it would be extremely helpful if Excel would include the superscripted footnote number (1, 2, 3, etc.) right in the cell (regardless of the cell's Number format), and allow the footnotes to then be printed at the bottom of the page on which they occur, or all at the end of the Excel printed worksheet (similar to what MS-Word does today).

In essence, this suggested footnote feature would replace Excel's existing Comment feature.

4 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bob shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spot on! This is a source of great frustration to me. My research generates a complex matrix of data - and Excel is great at handling and manipulating the raw numbers; but I regularly need to add comments to cells - there is simply no way to do that as it stands.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree - I am writing a paper utilizing a spreadsheet and need to add footnotes. I've added a column with them, but it is cumbersome and time consuming.

Feedback and Knowledge Base