Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Setting Autofill Default

Setting Autofill Default

No option to set AutoFill default to the option you want.
Even for numbers or dates you should be able to use "Copy Cells" in stead of "Fill series"

43 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sumeet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in my job in banking, everytime I auto-fill it almost always uses the wrong one that I need. would love to switch the defaults around.

Mine is the opposite problem. My default is to COPY and I want the default to be fill series! help!

yes, please! The default behavior is so aggravating, every time I want to copy instead of fill series and forget to click 'ctrl' I have to make many more mouse clicks to correct. The default behavior is not intuitive. We really need this option.

This is the normal way a normal human being using a spreadsheet trying to copy data quickly's brain thinks things would work, especially since CTRL+C, CTRL+V only works to paste to one cell and then you have to copy the original AGAIN.

For instance, I have a list of tasks that have to be checked and rechecked throughout the month. Each column has a "last checked on date" column. If I'm going through the list sequentially, after I've changed one of those to today, I should be able to just drag it to the next row and still get today, not tomorrow.

• Monica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also want to change the default option to "Copy Cells", googled it, unfortunately, seems no such function. hopefully, the micro company would provide the option.

• LinckG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I work with technical data, and I have to copy huge amounts of information to multiple cells frequently. I need to be able to set the default behavior to what I want. For example, if I have 1200 devices to upload to a database and they all have software revision 3.5.23. I do not want to have to do anything other than click and drag. It's not a date. It's not a sequence of numbers. It's a software rev that applies to 1200 rows. I do this type of thing all day long, and it is annoying to have to do one thing for text, and another thing for numerical data.

• OssieMac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just one of the areas where users should be able to set their own defaults. Option to set as default should be right there with the selection; not through options. The user should be able to easily change the default for the time they need it because they could need to change it again part way through the development of the worksheet.

Feedback and Knowledge Base