Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Searchable drop down option

If I create a drop down list using Data Validation, I want to be able to search the drop down list by entering text without having to figure out some code using combo boxes. Google sheets has this feature - Excel should too.

19 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Burak Simsek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. You put too much effort to create searchable drop down lists. I would be very thankful if it could be done by just using Data Validation.

• Jevgenij commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It will be much bet to get this future not only in new versions of MSO, but issue update for MSO2007..MSO2010.

• Gregory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - searchable drop down is a must have. Google docs is a fine example how should it work.

• Jon Wittwer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A searchable or automatically filtered drop-down list would be a great feature for Excel to add!

One example would be a budget spreadsheet with a lot of budget categories. Autocomplete is nice, but it isn't sufficient.

Let's say you had the following list:
    Mortgage Payment
    Groceries
    Auto Insurance
    Personal Supplies

In Google Sheets, if you type "P" then your drop-down list automatically shortens to:
    Mortgage Payment
    Personal Supplies

Google Sheets has not yet perfected this feature, in my opinion. Currently, Sheets only searches based on the beginning of the words, rather than a letter in the middle of a word. For example, if you type "y" you get no results even though "Mortgage Payment" contains a "y"

Although there are fancy tricks you can use to create a searchable list using dynamic ranges and the SEARCH function, these tricks require too much Excel expertise and are not a great solution for something simple like an account register.

Feedback and Knowledge Base