Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

X-axis format for dates

If you have a graph that has an x-axis containing dates, when you try to format that axis, the min and max look like this: 42153 and 42369 that I take correspond to the number of days elapsed since "the big bang or something I guess". It would be nice if we could actually have for these a date picker so that I can select min at "10th Nov 2017" and max at "29th Jan 2018"

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Tetard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Nikolaj Kyndby Hentzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also better control over major/minor units on axis with date format. Eg. select whole hours, months, days, quarters, years etc. as division.
    I normally opt for exporting my data to sasjmp (lucky me to have a licens) because in sasjmp this is a breeze :-)

• Vanessa Witte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know everything on this topic, but I've had the same frustrations, so this is what I know: excel logs their dates by default as serial numbers (beginning in 1900 I believe) then converts to an actual "date" stamp as we know it to look like (ie:mm/dd/yyyy). For whatever reason, the serial numbers will show as the axis bounds when going to insert -> scatter (and probably more types of graphs I am not aware of). I have no idea why in the world this hasn't been fixed yet. Anyways, I work around it by selecting my data as I normally would and going to insert-> recommended charts. Or insert-> column, etc. I'm not 100% sure but I think this only happens with scatter plots.

Feedback and Knowledge Base