Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Pull Current Stock Prices and Historical Data Into Excel

Now that our ability to use Yahoo! Finance's API to pull in stock information via the WEBSERVICE() function and import historical information is officially dead (thanks Verizon!), the only viable option currently is to use Google sheets to pull in stock information.

It would be awesome if Excel could import data from MSN Money so us users can continue to use spreadsheets to monitor our portfolios.

883 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Newman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Progress! As of this morning, we’ve begun enabling the first iteration of Excel’s new data types for a percentage of Office Insiders, including the ability to pull and refresh live stock quotes (and other financial data) straight in to Excel! We’ll be increasing the percentage of Insiders with access to the feature over the coming days and weeks, so if you don’t see it right away please hang in there!*

We acknowledge that right now this is only half of the suggestion (pull current stock prices), but historical data is in our sights and we’re planning to add this and many other improvements to stock and financial data. Your feedback thus far has been immensely valuable in helping us plan and design this work, and we look forward to your continued suggestions for how we can improve to better meet your needs

Again, we genuinely appreciate your involvement as we take our first steps in a much greater journey to make Excel better understand your data, and can’t wait to hear about your experiences and suggestions for the future!

James Spotanski (Microsoft Excel)

More reading…
    Excel’s new Data Types: https://aka.ms/Pgyscw
    Become an Office Insider: http://aka.ms/officeinsider

*Unfortunately there is no way to override the controls to give yourself access – your patience is appreciated :)

306 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • peter v commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't bother. 15 min delayed barebone data, very cumbersome data selector tool, incomplete stock info with many bigcap tickers missing, nothing whatsoever in terms of fundamentals, ratios, div yield. Resource hog and fairly unstable.. Completely unusable!

• Evan Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is Microsoft now? Can we pull in a live, real-time, dynamic stock market feed (bid, ask, last, vol) into Excel?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft -please help to make pulling in real time stock prices an easy add onto PPT

I see "Stock data" now.
        However, when I press it excel reports "You need to sign in with Office 365 account ..." though I am signed in :(
        Thank you

could we please get the stock data to recognize the S&P 500 Index (SPX, INX or ^GSPC, and the 10 year treasury ticker ^tnx. This shouldn't be too hard, as we can get the DOW and the Nasdaq indicies as another just commented! Thank you!

Monitoring the progress of pulling the prices for equities, fixed income and options into Excel, I have a mental image that the "Excel Team" is an empty cubicle with a plaque at the entry.

• Charlie Finan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The S&P 500 Index (SPX or ^GSPC) is missing from the choices in the search list. Anyone know how to get this? I am able to get the DOW and Nasdaq indicies.

• Lars Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been on the insider prog. for nearly a year now, and haven't gotten the function, but i now see that they are working on it in the stock quote for Mac section.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@lars - I'll have to check my mac at home to see if it is there. I know it already has the Dynamic Array functions introduced about a month ago to Windows Office Insiders. Now that the calculation engine for Excel on all platforms is the same, features roll out much faster to each platform - usually within months.

I do know Excel Online doesn't have stock quotes yet.

• Evan Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't seem like importing live "real time" quotes/data stock market prices should be that complicated. It also seems like an enhancement that would dramatically improve MS Excel users experience with the product.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sure it will be in the stand alone version of Office 2021/2022. It wasn't ready in time for Office 2019.

• Lars Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress ? still hanging this is BS if it's only for office 365 version and not the stand alone excel app.

We have been hanging in there for too long! Why can't this feature be made available to Excel users in general?

We can now pull stock data into Excel Docs. Long awaited and it is great! Most of the data is accurate and it updates beautifully. However, after spending hours re doing the old Excel sheets and updating them with this enhancement, I was told by a microsoft windows tech that my profile was corrupt because I could not save my excel documents. So we created a new profile. And he moved all my beautiful new Excel sheets to the new user profile. The stock data link is not there. My data is dead. After 3 chats with an Office tech and 3 chats with a Microsoft Windows tech and even a reinstall of Windows 10, my docs in the new user profile do not have the stock data option. No one can resolve. All that work to get my spreadsheets in Excel (after converting them from Google Sheets) was for naught - wasted time. Very very frustrating. If someone has a resolution it would be wonderful. Otherwise - back to Google Sheets.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"First iteration" is hopefully right. One cannot specify the data source, according to insider accounts, but must rely upon whatever good ol' Bing wants to present.

Clearly unacceptable for even average stock needs.

(But gosh, Bing will sure look like humans now want to use it for searches, won't it?)

Second iteration? Let US decide the data source the Data Type functionality looks to.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base