Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Pull Current Stock Prices and Historical Data Into Excel

Now that our ability to use Yahoo! Finance's API to pull in stock information via the WEBSERVICE() function and import historical information is officially dead (thanks Verizon!), the only viable option currently is to use Google sheets to pull in stock information.

It would be awesome if Excel could import data from MSN Money so us users can continue to use spreadsheets to monitor our portfolios.

984 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Newman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Product Owner, Office.com) responded  · 

Hi everyone,
Stock data types are now available to all Windows Office 365 subscribers with an English editing language installed (our data is only available in English at this time). You can find some instructions on how to use the feature here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/get-a-stock-quote-e5af3212-e024-4d4c-bea0-623cf07fbc54. The feature will also be appearing in Excel for Mac and Excel Online in early 2019 – as usual, Office Insiders will see the feature before the general population. See http://aka.ms/officeinsider for more info.

One pro tip to locate instruments on a different exchange is to include an ISO country code alongside the symbol, for instance MX MSFT will tell Excel to grab Microsoft from the Mexican stock exchange instead of Nasdaq. We’ll be publishing more thorough documentation in the near future.

We also acknowledge that this is only half of the requested feature in this suggestion – the current stock prices piece. The ability to access historical quote data is a work in progress, and I will update this audience once the feature begins its rollout to Office Insiders.

Feel free to leave comments and requests below, or by sending feedback directly from Excel by clicking the Smiley face in the top right corner, or going to Help > Feedback in the ribbon.

James Spotanski (Excel)

356 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Emkay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi -- is there a way to use the stocks feature under data to pull a stock's price on a specific date? I'd like to be able to pull a table of historical prices by date. Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like Excel 2019 not having the stock price feature is a marketing decision, not a technical one. Many of us have spent our money for Office 2019 for the desktop as we did for earlier versions. Is it right that Microsoft marginalize Office 2019 for the desktop and it's users this way? Is the perpetual Off365 revenue stream the only thing that matters now to Microsoft?

I'm not sure if it has been made apparent here, but I just wanted clarify something :
    1 - The failure of the Yahoo API's is NOT Microsofts fault. It is Yahoo who closed the API down
    2 - You can still scrape Yahoo manually, or programmatically if you want to program a solution. Python has a solution, and GitHub has lots of python code samples
    3 - You can use Excel web service calls with IEX or Alpha Vantage. Both work very well. They are also free.
    4 - you can use google sheets "GOOGLEFINANCE" functions. Also free
    5 - You can purchase O365
    6 - Yes, Excel support for MSN finance would be nice

• John Demaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you please allow excel to download date from MSN so that folks can monitor their portfolios.
    Thanks

• Andrew Sinclair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’ve built an Excel Add-In (https://www.excelpricefeed.com) which retrieves financial prices/data via simple formulas. It also includes a search function so you can easily find stock codes. It currently connects to Yahoo Finance, I am working on adding other data providers.

For example to populate a cell with the latest Apple stock price: =EPF.Yahoo.Price(“AAPL”)

I am currently adding historical data as well as other functionality. The Add-in works with all versions of Excel.

• Kenny Peh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, adding the country code does not work for MY - Malaysia and SG - Singapore

• Richard Schwartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Yahoo finance. It is very convenient to simply highlight the daily list, copy, and paste into a spreadsheet. Since the change from yesterday's prices is also given, you can subtract that to get yesterdays data, in case you skipped a day.

The big risk is that by advertising this, I may cause Yahoo to reformat their data into something that a spreadsheet cannot handle. But Microsoft excel is a very powerful package that can do most of what you will ever want to do with data. You don't have to know everything about excel in order to get good use out of it; just learn the features and capabilities you need.

One more reason to abandon Excel all together and go with one of the free or lower-priced softwares out there. New versions reducing functionality is not looking out for your user base.

Please add the Stock data feature to Excel 2019 for Windows as soon as possible!

Thanks.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once a spreadsheet is setup with data for specific stocks, how do you refresh the data? Can you get it to automatically refresh every 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or ????

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base