Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Pull Current Stock Prices and Historical Data Into Excel

Now that our ability to use Yahoo! Finance's API to pull in stock information via the WEBSERVICE() function and import historical information is officially dead (thanks Verizon!), the only viable option currently is to use Google sheets to pull in stock information.

It would be awesome if Excel could import data from MSN Money so us users can continue to use spreadsheets to monitor our portfolios.

770 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Newman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Progress! As of this morning, we’ve begun enabling the first iteration of Excel’s new data types for a percentage of Office Insiders, including the ability to pull and refresh live stock quotes (and other financial data) straight in to Excel! We’ll be increasing the percentage of Insiders with access to the feature over the coming days and weeks, so if you don’t see it right away please hang in there!*

We acknowledge that right now this is only half of the suggestion (pull current stock prices), but historical data is in our sights and we’re planning to add this and many other improvements to stock and financial data. Your feedback thus far has been immensely valuable in helping us plan and design this work, and we look forward to your continued suggestions for how we can improve to better meet your needs

Again, we genuinely appreciate your involvement as we take our first steps in a much greater journey to make Excel better understand your data, and can’t wait to hear about your experiences and suggestions for the future!

James Spotanski (Microsoft Excel)

More reading…
    Excel’s new Data Types: https://aka.ms/Pgyscw
    Become an Office Insider: http://aka.ms/officeinsider

*Unfortunately there is no way to override the controls to give yourself access – your patience is appreciated :)

284 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happens if you are not an Office 365 user, I had purchased the software bundle MS Office 2016. Will there be an update for MS Office 2016 home pc edition?

• Ronaldo Smith Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using STOCK data type in Excel 365 and it's working fine for me. I get the properties from this data type like Industry, Price, etc... directly from my Excel spreadsheet for financial management.

please arrange to give me access. I have been waiting for this a long time.
        thank you for your help.

• Evan Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add me to your list of Excel users requesting access to live stock quote data. Thanks!

This is excellent news! Please keep us informed when your upgrade(s) have been completed. We will need clearly written instructions as to how to use the new functions.

That's great news, Thank you. Now I need a simple way to import the data to Excel. Could you do that next please?

This works for pulling current prices into Excel (in this case referencing a Col "D"). You can swap out the other name tags to pull EPS, etc., etc. The prices are updated frequently but have not attempted to look how fast, but enough for me (and you can force new data Cntl-Alt-f9)

=VALUE(WEBSERVICE("https://api.iextrading.com/1.0/stock/" & D4 & "/quote/delayedPrice"))

• Barbara Ann Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How could I become an "insider" to try using the "Pull Current Stock Prices and Historical Data Into Excel"? I have been using Google sheets and am beginning to like them. So, please hurry to add this functionality to Excel! You might lose users if you take too long.!!

• Elliot Amiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the status on this? 5 months have elapsed since Eric Patterson, Program Manager at MSFT, announced this but we have nothing yet. WTF?

• Rosilyn Overton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is functionality that I sorely need and I guess I am not an Office insider. How do you become one of these? I am happy to give feedback on Office products.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add Moving Averages. Simple Moving Averages for 5, 10, 25, 50, 200 days......

• Gene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must correct my comment below. I thought I was an Office Insider but I was actually signed up as a Monthly Channel (Targeted) user. I changed this to Insider and downloaded updates, restarted my PC and presto the new Data Types category was on the ribbon under the Data tab. I am looking forward to testing it out

Maybe this will help others anxiously waiting for this new feature.

• Gene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am getting antsy to try this. As an Office Insider I thought I would have it by now. Been almost 3 months since the initial roll out.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base