Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Pull Current Stock Prices and Historical Data Into Excel

Now that our ability to use Yahoo! Finance's API to pull in stock information via the WEBSERVICE() function and import historical information is officially dead (thanks Verizon!), the only viable option currently is to use Google sheets to pull in stock information.

It would be awesome if Excel could import data from MSN Money so us users can continue to use spreadsheets to monitor our portfolios.

683 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Newman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Progress! As of this morning, we’ve begun enabling the first iteration of Excel’s new data types for a percentage of Office Insiders, including the ability to pull and refresh live stock quotes (and other financial data) straight in to Excel! We’ll be increasing the percentage of Insiders with access to the feature over the coming days and weeks, so if you don’t see it right away please hang in there!*

We acknowledge that right now this is only half of the suggestion (pull current stock prices), but historical data is in our sights and we’re planning to add this and many other improvements to stock and financial data. Your feedback thus far has been immensely valuable in helping us plan and design this work, and we look forward to your continued suggestions for how we can improve to better meet your needs

Again, we genuinely appreciate your involvement as we take our first steps in a much greater journey to make Excel better understand your data, and can’t wait to hear about your experiences and suggestions for the future!

James Spotanski (Microsoft Excel)

More reading…
    Excel’s new Data Types: https://aka.ms/Pgyscw
    Become an Office Insider: http://aka.ms/officeinsider

*Unfortunately there is no way to override the controls to give yourself access – your patience is appreciated :)

255 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must correct my comment below. I thought I was an Office Insider but I was actually signed up as a Monthly Channel (Targeted) user. I changed this to Insider and downloaded updates, restarted my PC and presto the new Data Types category was on the ribbon under the Data tab. I am looking forward to testing it out

Maybe this will help others anxiously waiting for this new feature.

• Gene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am getting antsy to try this. As an Office Insider I thought I would have it by now. Been almost 3 months since the initial roll out.

• -z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why Yahoo saw fit to destroy an excellent service befits Yahoo. What should I expect from a company that charges for email features offered for free other places. Yahoo still gets revenue from ads. M$ should feast on using this Yahoo error of its ways. M$, make your Money page a go-to place. As is, I never hear anyone using Money as a go-to for financial news. Here is gap you fill, quickly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a shame! Disabling such a useful feature.
        Who paid whom?
        Who was bribed by whom?
        Shameful

As an office insider, I would like to suggest that you add EPS, dividend yield, and dividend per share to the data available.

After Bill Gates left, everything has changed.
        I have been using MS Money for a long time, now discontinued.
        I love MS Flight Simulator very much, now discontinued.
        I depended on MS Mobil phone badly, now discontinued
        In short, my prediction of MS Excel is it's going to be discontinued soon.
        As you can see, Yahoo Finance is now already discontinued from Excel.
        I cannot wait until Excel will be discontinued.
        I have started to use Google Sheets, and I like it because it's including Google Finance, and it's FREE.

• JW Finkler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For years I have been teaching students advanced Excel functionality and coupling these functions with real-world applications. Excel 2016 and 365 versions lack a feature of importing stock information into a Workbook or Worksheet. The functionality was part of Excel 2010. I have read articles that Microsoft has eliminated or phased out the use of .iqy file structures. Please restore the ability to import stock price or other data sets (geographic, medical, etc) directly from the Data ribbon. Sincere thanks,

When will the ability to pull live stock quote be released to the general public? Thanks

Please bring this back or give us any other easy was to simply get a Qoute.
        THANKS!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base