How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Pull Current Stock Prices and Historical Data Into Excel

Now that our ability to use Yahoo! Finance's API to pull in stock information via the WEBSERVICE() function and import historical information is officially dead (thanks Verizon!), the only viable option currently is to use Google sheets to pull in stock information.

It would be awesome if Excel could import data from MSN Money so us users can continue to use spreadsheets to monitor our portfolios.

225 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Newman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

128 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the clarification.
        Then who we should approach for getting the quotes form Yahoo back to Excel?
        Can MSFT do it by negotiating with Yahoo/Verizon, then how and what steps we, as a community of users, can do impress on MSFT to have this done?
        or any other recourse available to the affected users?

For "Anonymous - I paid more than $250".

Yahoo/Verizon pulled this feature, not Microsoft.

I paid more than $250, couple of years ago, for the Excel only to get the stock quotes on to my excel spread sheet and now MSFt has pulled this feature. this is very unfair for its customers. and Because of their dominance, MSFT has become arrogant and is NOT going to heed or care for the users needs, take or leave it attitude. we now need a alternative program and can any boy suggest an alternate. After Google changed their finance page, as this became useless I removed the book mark altogether. Now I beg some body with knowledge of coding to make a new app to help the community of users who need this feature. We need to go another route to fight this issue with MSFT. Thanks to the person who does this in advance

Please implement this functionality. This would be awesome as I find it difficult to track several dozen stocks in about a dozen different accounts. PLEASE implement this feature as it was very short sited of Version to discontinue this feature that so many have appreciated for years.

• Luiz Talk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo finance provided a valuable service to the investor. Please restore this functionality

• Walter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Historically, the Yahoo-finance site included a functionality where real-time and end- of-business stock data could be downloaded to Excel spreadsheets. This was terrific for me and many others and became an important part of my personal finances management program.
        Then, Yahoo found out that “someone” had developed a for-sale product that drew on their data. That violated the covenants Yahoo had with the stock data sources and, rather than lose that connection, Yahoo (reluctantly) stopped providing the connectivity that previously had communicated these data with the user community. There has been a lot of blow-back onto Yahoo and Microsoft, but it is not their fault . . . but what to do?
        I have developed a “work-around” that I would like to share. Note that Yahoo still has their portfolio function. You can open their site and create one or more named portfolios each with a data base of stock symbols, number of shares, original investment amount etc. as input and with an output table showing the instantaneous stock price, shares traded, dividend amount and percentage, dividend pay dates etc. At any time, the user can click the “Export” button to create a .csv (a matrix spreadsheet file compatible with Excel) file containing all this information which you can name and save to your desktop… say as MASTERSTOCK.csv.
        Then open your portfolio Excel file and Copy the relevant portions of the MASTERSTOCK.csv file to an empty region of the Excel file. It will not be a “clean” replication of the original portfolio information (single listings of each stock etc.) but will have all the data from the Yahoo portfolio within it. Then, cell-by-cel , draw the .csv data by reference to the relevant cells in your spreadsheet and VIOLA! you have all your data in the form you want it that is current. Future days, just carefully copy that day’s .csv file into the same .csv region of your Excel file and the data is updated.
        This is not as neat as previously, but your precious spreadsheet data will be current and accurate and you can get on with your financial life.
        Hope this helps.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base