Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Autosave in Office 2016 (NOT Office 365) to enable Co-authoring

Autosave feature doesn't seem to be enabled in the DESKTOP version of Office 2016 when bought as a one-off licence (instead of buying Office via 365 subscription). This means we can't use Co-authoring.
I have Office 2016 Home and Business installation Version 1709 Build 8528.2139 Click-to-run. 3 licences on 3 PCs in my office.

I have Office 365 Business essentials subscription giving us Exchange email, Onedrive, Skype etc on my 3 PCs.

I have previously used the "share workbook" feature to for multiple users to have an Excel spreadsheet open and modify simultaneously.

Microsoft are deprecating this function and suggest using the co-authoring feature functionality which will also solve a number of drawbacks to share workbook.

Following the MS Office help instructions I note I need to turn on AutoSave.

I have previously seen the "AutoSave" feature button in the top left corner but it was greyed out. I have set-up One-drive and saved files there.

I have checked and updated Office to the above noted build. Now AutoSave is has completely disappeared - it is not even there greyed-out.

It has been suggested to me that AutoSave feature is only available to Office 365 subscribers. And it is not available in Office 2016. So even though I have a MS Office 365 Business Essentials subscription and have chosen to buy Office 2016 instead of paying the monthly route I don't get this feature.

Is this correct? Will the AutoSave feature ever come to Office 2016 one-time purchase licence? Before updates I could see it (although greyed out).

If AutoSave is NOT going to be enabled in Office 2016 how can MS decide to deprecate the share workbook feature and suggest the Co-authoring feature which is reliant on the AutoSave feature which is NOT available to Office 2016 users?

Is co-authoring (supported by AutoSave) going to be available to Office 2016 users in a future update....?

4 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SteveB shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not even trying to co-author, I just want to save my spreadsheets in case of unexpected shutdown but I am frustrated by the same lack of this incredibly important feature in this very expensive software. Back to Office 2010 for me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base