How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Reinstate the ability to open multiple workbooks in a single instance in Excel

I do not understanding the logic behind your decision to remove the ability to open multiple workbooks in a single instance in Excel. The only benefit is the ability to immediately move work books to two separate screens basically giving the ability to do the simple task of copy and paste. FYI: available on all spreadsheets!!! What made Excel a valuable tool was it ability to reduce time by accumulating data from multiple workbooks instantly and limiting the use of resources (ram). It also reduced the amount of data on a single workbook and protected the master since a simpler spreadsheet could be sent out and filled in without worry of corruption. This was accomplished because Excel could be linked to hundreds of spreadsheets and utilized macros that could import data from multiple workbooks. These features are no longer available if the workbooks open in a separate instance. Microsoft was based on business and this feature is what made Excel a valuable tool. Why!!!!

65 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

S Wallum shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jonathan Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to open multiple files in one instance of Excel from File Explorer... and now can no longer do this. This is such a backward step. Please give users the option to do this. I have tried fiddling around with the registry keys but to no avail.

• L. Chee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My VB programs open workbooks containing data, or containing other VB programs which are triggered from the original program - in the old excel they open in sequence in the same window - this allows me to see the sequence, especially in testing. Now, workbooks are opened all over the place, immediately consuming display resources, and I can't see anything!
        Also, in the old excel, I could open a separate instance of excel and do other work there while a program is running in the other instance - there I could run other VB programs, and without fear of messing up workbooks in the other instance. Please reconsider!

• Hans W Schulze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do you Move a TAB from one instance to another? If open in the same instance you could move your "tool" tab to another spreadsheet.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is convenient to open a couple of worksheets at the same time when you know you need them or are linking between them.

WHY would you not allow multiple workbooks on 1 instance of excel? My macros don't work correctly when more than one instance of excel is running. BRING THIS BACK! This version definitely does not have businesses in mind.

• Matthew Coulter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't agree more. I (like many others I know) prefer to open files from windows explorer and NEED to ability to cross reference those files. Opening from windows explorer allows for a more global view of my network. Having to open from within the application is frustrating. Please reconsider the users needs to have single instance usage to apply formulas referencing multiple workbooks and the ability to quickly navigate a windows explorer window on another screen to open those other workbooks. It was more efficient......now, not so much.

Just vindication for the premise that the coders don't use the software in a practical sense. Change for the sake of change . . . as if that connotes quality enhancement(s).

in 2010, I could have multiple workbooks (typically 3) open in a single window AND have a separate window with multiple workbooks. So, I could have 2 or 3 windows open, each with multiple workbooks. Why get rid of that? Now, each workbook opens in its own window, regardless of how I open it. lame.

• Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand the problems people are having with Excel 2016. I can open as many workbooks as I want within one instance without any limit. The only change is that you can no longer open multiple workbooks by double clicking on files in File Explorer. If you do then you will get multiple instances and not be able to Copy and Paste between them.

If you use File Open within Excel there is no limit at all! Copy and Paste between workbooks then works perfectly and they can be tiled etc.

• Ben Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought my pc/software had a bug until I read this! Really annoying when trying to do a vlookup and I have to shut the reference workbook and re-open it from within the 'other' instance of excel.

You can see two workbooks side-by-side on one instance of excel; "View side-by-side option" Under "View" to do this.
        I thought it was another thing about this world that had broken, never imagined someone at microsoft changed it purposefully!

Seriously. WHY would you not allow multiple workbooks on 1 instance of excel? Have you heard the term "Multitask"? A lot of us do that these days and unless we have a 50 inch monitor it is going to make our screens a huge mess! BRING THIS BACK! This version definitely does not have businesses in mind.

Feedback and Knowledge Base