Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Update Linked Pictures (formerly called the Camera tool)

Linked pictures give us the ability to switch figures between charts and tables instantly. They allow formulas to determine which icon to display. They allow us to set up visual alerts. And a lot more.

But linked pictures have a low resolution, which causes small text to be jaggy. They don't have a manual calculation mode. They can mess up data validation. And they can become distorted.

Please fix these issues.

63 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Charley Kyd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Øystein Johnsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PIctureLinks are useful in a number of places, but they suffer from a serious problem if you use them in a workbook with vba code.

If a pictureLink contains an actual link, ie that its formula property is set, execution of VBA code slows down by a factor of 100. You can get around this by temporarily setting the formula property to "", run your code, and then set it back at the end of your vba macro.

But if you have another workbook with picturelinks in the same instance of Excel that you might not control, this also slows down execution.

If you had a an application property to control this, that would be a big improvement, for example Application.DisablePictureLinks=true, this would be useful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seriously needs a workaround, camera tool is essential to my report.
        Please consider this, Microsoft.

• Jeff Skiles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The camera tool provides the kind of flexibility Excel is known for. Charley has already listed the issues, please address them and continue updating this powerful feature.

I use the camera tool in my reports. Please update/improve this valuable tool with better resolution. Thank you

• Marc Labrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Camera tool is a must for me to create dashboard. Can you please fix it's bugs. Thanks!

I've tried using the Camera Tool many times before, but quite often, the low-resolution made it unattractive to use in report. Please fix this. Thanks.

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too use the camera tool in my reports. Please update/improve this valuable tool. Thank you.

I frequently use the Camera Tool and encourage its continued development/improvement.

I use the camera tool frequently and have the same issues as mentioned. Please could you give it some attention.

• DK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with others how valuable this tool is, and can be improved with suggestions provided

Feedback and Knowledge Base