How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell

Allow Excel Macros to be written in PowerShell.
It would also be amazing if it could be used as an alternative to field functions such as "=PRODUCT(A1:A10))"

I believe that Microsoft Excel naively supporting PowerShell as a 21st century alternative to VBA would be the most beneficial change made to the software since release.

Almost all Microsoft products are becoming PowerShell integrated, yet Office remains only supporting VBA.
VBA is an archaic procedural language which despite its ambivalent love from the community, seems to have little to no place in the modern world.
PowerShell can directly interact with COM objects eaxctly just as VBA does, and so much more. PowerShell macros would be incredibly useful and utterly transform the scope of work which Excel is used for.

Additionally, this would be one step closer to unifying Microsoft products.

41 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James LearJames Lear shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom A. VibetoTom A. Vibeto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If they started the powershell engine with module auto-loading turned off and a requirement that non-default modules would need to be imported by the user (a separate profile folder), wouldn't it be safer than VBA?

How much trouble can be caused when running in a module-restricted session? Is it still possible to load and execute an external binary file? Can one still execute random C# code?

• James LearJames Lear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dan,

The way that PowerShell talks to COM objects is pretty much identical to VBA so there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve. Additionally, you can write PowerShell functions which act as commands to make it even easier to use. For instance you could have something like:

Write-Cell -Worksheet $WorkSheet -Coordinates (A,120) -Value "Hello World" -Append

Or something less verbose. The point is that this could aid a lower learning curve, especially as skills learned in PowerShell can be used anywhere, while VBA is only used in Office. Since it's a procedural language, it wouldn't provide much to help you learn other languages either.

Also, I am requesting that macros can be written in PowerShell as well as VBA. It certainly looks like a step forward.

• Dan ElgaardDan Elgaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully not!
        VBA has one huge advantage over PowerShell: Simplicity - even the most novice user can make a smiple VBA program in less than a hour - perhaps using the macro recoreder.
        PowerShell is more a programmers type of language, and you really need to learn it, to use it (same for javaScript actually).
        Microsoft is already killing Windows, removing flexibility and ease of use, in the desperate attempt to copy everyone else with apps, emetro, thouch-screen squares, user restricktions, etc. !!!
        Please, don't destroy the Office suite too?!?

• SCSC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I'd rather Microsoft killed PowerShell and switched to bash instead.

I've spent a lot of time working with PowerShell and I'm afraid the only good thing about it for me is that I don't have to work with it any more.

A proper .Net language such as C# or VB would be much better.

• James LearJames Lear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, Mr. Annoymous.

VBA can actually open and execute PowerShell anyway (regardless of execution policy. This suggestion wouldn't introduce any new vulnerabilities. It would however, make excel manipulation via PowerShell extremely easy.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a horrible idea, the current VBA is already such a major source of malware that building in PowerShell capabilities would be like opening the door and inviting the malicious actors in.

Feedback and Knowledge Base