Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Return share workbook functionality to Excel 2016

Excel 2016 has recently removed the share workbook functionality and hidden the icon for easily sharing workbooks. It appears that this has not taken into account spreadsheets that are saved on file servers, and aren't uploaded into the cloud (ie the co-authoring functionality). Please return the functionality so that workbooks can be easily shared.

64 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

You’ve provided feedback on the Excel Shared Workbook experience and we would like to know more about how you’ve used this feature and the value it provides. By taking this survey, you can help the Excel team better understand how to prioritize our Collaboration Experiences moving forward.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR3M53G0xM8tHle2rOax4MqNUQ0lOWlM2OFRTTkJNRTVGQU1ZV0hDMTZYSy4u

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tania commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On a previous version of Excel it was possible to select share, so multiple users could work with the same spreadsheet with not need to go cloud. I really miss this feature as we strongly need it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think you can return share workbook to review. because your new function want to share workbook is too trouble for me. why don't make a simple share workbook dock to review?

• Zippie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the "share workbook" feature.
        We have proprietary data we can't share outside the company. We also have ITAR data that legally can't be available even to sever maintenance technicians outside the country, so multi site/multi country redundancy eliminates the cloud.
        We still have files that need multiple users at once.

• zheng7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

我也需要这个功能!怎么能够就这样删掉一个很好用的功能呢!!!
        I also need this feature! Do not delete this nice feature!!!

And then one day the ability to add the button back is removed. When you own a version of software, you are certain that used and liked features are locked. A subscription model does not allow such control. This is one of many examples. Adding new features is fine, but removing features used for decades is NOT.

• Tim Mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is major oversight in my opinion. I have several users who now unable to change existing shared workbooks, nor can these files be "copied up" to OneDrive for Co-Authoring. Please revert feature back, or at least brink back the Legacy workbook sharing option.

• Tim Mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this request. It is a little presumptuous of Microsoft to assume all workbook sharing can take place in the cloud. it can't. Provide the both on-prem and cloud methods if MS wants users to continue to use this function.

• Josie Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need the Shared Workbook to send an alert to the user that has it open to that someone is waiting for the file. The notify when available doesn't help when they forget to close the file, which happens all the time holding up productivity.....It should be similar to the calendar reminder that pops up until you dismiss it...Thank you!

I see that sharing workbooks has been removed and is now tagged as "legacy." I don't care if it's called co-authoring, but I will not move my documents to the cloud. Give us the ability to share OUR documents over OUR network. I had to dig for this command, create my "custom" button and put it back under the Review tab.

• Maxim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please return "Share workbook" back!
        We will not use OneDrive and any other cloud storage according to our corporate security policy and Federal Law that protect personal and medical data!

P.S. It's also impossible to unprotect existing worksheets for already shared files!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base