Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Multiple total rows in tables

Wouldn't it be great to have multiple total rows in a table. Say I have a column with the sum in the total row, but I needed the average and count for that column too. The only option I know of now is to make separate calculations below the table. I would be nice if all of those calculations were an integral part of the table.

27 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Frijters shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Futski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to Multiple total rows, how about adding SubTotal rows to tables.
    SubTotals by itself is nice, but you can't use it in a table. So if you need Subtotals, you can kiss using tables goodbye. I know, I know, you're gonna tell me to use pivot tables for that. And I do. But embedded subtotals would definitely have their use.

• KT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree. Having multiple total rows would really expand the already delightful capabilities of tables. I preach and teach Tables to all my coworkers, and this is the only part I find lacking.

• HackSlash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the total row I see 8 options plus a 9th custom option. It would make sense that we would want to use more than one of these. I need at least 4 when I came looking for this answer. Currently, they are just rows below the table. I would like them to be part of the table.

• Futski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Multiple table total rows would be great. There are many times when I would want bout a Sum, and Average.
    It would also be nice if they would enumerate the function values like this.
    Instead of =Subtotal(109,Column1)
    How about =Subtotal(Sum,Column1)
    Additional functions like SumIF and AverageIF would also be helpful.

• Jon Wittwer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The need for multiple total rows is one of the reasons that I often avoid using Excel Tables, so I definitely like the suggestion of allowing multiple total rows in tables. Right-clicking on the total row and selecting "Table > Insert Total Row" would be a nice way to do it.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Addtion to this post. With tables when you scroll down the headers become the headings, so I would be nice if with totals the headings get more rows on scrolling down.

• Kenneth Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Generalization: allow for multiple rows that contain some sort of information about the whole column, and allow them to be positioned above the table, just below the headers, or at the bottom of the table.

Related suggestions:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10733835-dynamic-headings-or-additional-header-rows-in-tabl
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/12553785-total-row-at-the-top-of-a-table

• Rob Harvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking for this today - I have a Power Query table linked to multiple data sets which means the table resizes - so I don't want a formula at the bottom which gets overwritten. I wanted a Total - and a custom Total - but you can only have one!

Feedback and Knowledge Base