Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard

Regarding the issue of...It's part of the May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard even if you do things that would normally clear it, like typing in a cell, applying formatting, etc.

Pressing ESC will clear the marquee/dancing ants.

Why in the world would Microsoft and an extra step here. This is terrible. At least give us the option to turn off the function. Please change this back or give us the option. Very disappointed!

588 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Keep the Copy was designed to improve the experience of copying content to your clipboard based on customer requests. Copy and Paste functionality is different in Excel than most other applications because results from formulas can change and due to the large size of worksheets. Since making the improvements there has been mixed feedback about the changes that we made and it is not up to our quality standards. Effective today, Keep the Copy will be removed from Excel until we have improved the quality and design of this feature.

Thanks,
    Eric Patterson
    Excel Program Manager

487 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want the "Keep the Copy" to stay. At least make it an option that can be enabled.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please put back the Keep the copy. I was using it so many times working with very big file and now it's harder. It should be an option instead of making it default for everybody. Thanks

• Amri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give back the Keep the Copy feature please!! I'm too frustrated the first time this was introduced, but then getting used to it and find it very useful. Please bring this back, at least make it as an option! Now you break my workflow by disabling this feature, adding a lot more keystores here and there.

• Rebecca Skarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with keridwen cheetham, you should leave it as an option (have both). Because since you have removed it, I have been cussing. LOL Please bring it back ASAP. I love excel but this is frustrating.
        On a side note-thank you for listening to your users. :)

• keridwen cheetham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So happy you have disabled this. For the last 20+ years I’ve spend most of each work day in Excel & have had Excel freeze or crash more since you introduced this than in all the years before combined. I cussed at Excel on a daily basis. I loathed it with a passion.
        I really don’t understand why, when you first implemented it, you didn’t make it optional.
        That being said, I also don’t understand why you now have just turned it off rather than making it optional.
        Users are not all the same, allow us our different preferences.

• Adam Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm incredibly disappointed with the manner in which Microsoft has handled this issue. Releasing a change that modified fundamental functionality of the program with no way to revert was a terrible idea from the beginning. Then it took more than a year for them to finally undo the change, which by then many people had either gotten used to or had actually found use for, at which point they remove it without the ability to re-enable it.

I for one am very glad that this "feature" has been removed, but all of this chaos could have been avoided by simply making it an option from the very beginning.

"The removal of this feature has now cause me an additional 6 keystrokes hundreds of times today so I think you guys can handle the one extra keystroke"

This is a ridiculous argument. It's not a matter of 1 vs. 6 keystrokes, it's a matter of this change in UI altering workflows and muscle memory that many of us had developed over many years, including breaking macros that were already deployed. It's a shame that Microsoft has suddenly turned a group of people who wanted this feature against those of us who didn't. Again, the simple solution is to make this an option.

• Kiran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HATED this feature at first and now that I got used to it, I've become very dependent on it. Bring it back!!

• Kirra Antrobus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't even begin to say how frustrated I am that this feature is no longer available. I understand that some people did not like it, but I don't see it as a reason to remove it entirely. It was a significant time saver in my role, and I sincerely hope that the feature comes back as soon as possible. This afternoon would be about right, in my opinion.

Now I have to select and insert the same set of cells over and over and over instead of just having to insert them again.

• Luc Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "better" way would be to simply add an enable/disable option for this feature. Rather than create chaos for those who want to keep the feature and for those who want to lose the feature, excel has decided to pit us against one another.
        I see why keeping the feature would create an issue but I also see why it would be beneficial to others. The original keep the copy feature was intended to keep the copy and do other task like typing or inserting cells. This would obviously would be useful in certain situation, I know in my case it has proving to be incredibly productive.

• John Doyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The removal of this feature has now cause me an additional 6 keystrokes hundreds of times today so I think you guys can handle the one extra keystroke

• FM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The addition of this feature added an additional step where previously there was none. It adds difficulty to doing repetitive tasks such as working with data, mathematical formulas, etc. which is what I suspect many people may use excel for.

It would be like if an automobile manufacturer decided that everybody's gas pedal should be on the left instead of the right- then changed everybody's car's function overnight. Perhaps a better analogy would be if they installed a button on the other side of the car that you had to reach over and press each time you wanted to use the gas pedal to accelerate.

Adding this is as a separate Control-(button) feature as an optional functionality would have been reasonable-sounds like a fair number of people wanted this.

As it is/was implemented, it causes untold numbers of errors when working between sheets, formulas and application windows. It has cost me time- EVERY time, every day- I have worked with Excel since it was implemented last year.

Sean and others, not with you. Why is it your 'livelihood' when those of us using Excel since it was born are hassled by it? Take it out and think of a better way, like Eric said.

• Cam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am for creating this feature as an option. I really don't understand why it wasn't done this way in the first place. After having used Excel for many years before this change and since this change, I can see benefits to both ways of working.

I would be a big fan of a paste shortcut that kept the copy (such as Ctrl+Alt+V) while leaving the default the way Excel has been for years. I would also be a fan of an Application Settings option that toggled these two different shortcuts so those who would like to use this feature as their default paste method could apply it to Ctrl+V.

Those are my thoughts for bridging the chaos this feature (or "feature") created.

We the people who have used Excel for 20+ years are NOT with you. This change created real choas across the world.

• Luc Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Sean! This feature was my livelihood and without it, I now question the meaning of life. Why not simply give us the option to enable or disable the feature? Rather than ruin our lives because some people can't bother to reach two inches to hit the esc button. #keepthecopy #pleaseee #makeitanoption

• Sean Healy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We the People demand this feature be returned. I will not rest until justice is served. Who's with me!?

• rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem is: It was not an option. It was a mandatory change. Drove me nutz. I'm all for it as an option. Read Eric's msg, they are going to improve the design of this feature, then bring it back. Hopefully, as an option.

• BetterSolutions.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on the huge amount of feedback.

How feasible would it be to include an option to switch it ON if you want to ?

The option would be switched off by default though.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25

Feedback and Knowledge Base