Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard

Regarding the issue of...It's part of the May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard even if you do things that would normally clear it, like typing in a cell, applying formatting, etc.

Pressing ESC will clear the marquee/dancing ants.

Why in the world would Microsoft and an extra step here. This is terrible. At least give us the option to turn off the function. Please change this back or give us the option. Very disappointed!

412 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to all that responded to the recent survey and to all that have taken the time to provide comments. We have read all of the feedback and we’re determining the best way to resolve the pain points that you have with the changes.

Much of the feedback falls into these categories:

Differences with VBA Macros – When we initially release the “Keep the Copy” functionality in May of last year, there were differences for copy operations in VBA Macros. In an August update last year we made a change such that the keep the clipboard functionality is disabled when VBA macros are running. If you are still experiencing differences for copy operations in macros compared to previous version of Excel we would like to know more about what you are seeing.

Using Keyboard shortcuts to insert cells – Prior to the Keep the Copy functionality, the first insert operation after a copy would “Insert Copied Cells” and then subsequent insert operations would insert blank cells. We have heard your feedback in this area and are looking to resolve this such that insert operations via keyboard shortcuts behave like previous versions did.

Insert Copied Cells on the context menu – Prior to the Keep the Copy functionality, after a copy then Insert Cells command on the context menu was replaced by Insert Copied Cells until after the first paste. With the Keep the Copy functionality both Insert Cells and Insert Copied Cells are on the context menu. It’s not clear from your feedback if the position of the commands on the menu is problematic (having Insert Copied Cells directly above Insert Cells) or if it is something else. Any additional clarifying feedback would be appreciated.

Visual Clutter of Marquee – This is the topic that the recent survey was meant to understand further. Thank you for participating.

No value in functionality – Pasting multiple times is not necessary and you would like to disable the functionality.

We would appreciate any additional feedback that you can provide to help us to improve the feature.

Thank you,
    Eric Patterson
    Microsoft Excel Program Manager

238 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick Peronti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Soooooo sixk of forgetting to hit ESC now after every paste. This was such a dumb move! PLEASE FIX!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This "feature" needs to be disabled. It is slowing me down, causing errors, and is very frustrating. Once I hit save or anything else, this needs to disappear. Tired of having to fuss with this!

So we have all been patiently waiting more than a year now to see this change reversed or at least made optional. Watching the continuous beating drum of comments for (waning) loyal users of Excel, mostly civil but some not, without action by Microsoft other than their nonsensical response on April 2, 2018, it makes one wonder if this was really just an unintended consequence of some other change they made. Certainly it wasn’t a change to be more like Google Sheets (trust me Microsoft you don’t need to try and emulate that weak product) and does anyone really think there was a large contingent of users screaming for this change? No way.

Hence my theory of unintended consequence that just can’t figure out how to fix. At least be HONEST with us Microsoft!!

It seems, though, that our beating drum has slowed down of late. I guess we are all just tired of begging. But, I urge you all to post and post again until Microsoft finally gets it.

Of course if you don’t because you have moved on to an otherwise inferior competing product, I get it.

As a long time user of Excel, 'keep the copy' is the most frustrating 'feature' ever. I frequently end up pasting a copied range across multiple rows/columns even when I thought I cleared the clipboard. In a large spreadsheet this can cause a long wait time to undo, or it will crash Excel completely and lose my work.

Please allow this feature to be enabled/disabled. I would like a choice to go back to the original way. Thanks.

• Glenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's the additional PITA point that as long as the selection is held, the left end of the Status Bar is unusable. So if you want to copy something (or have copied something recently) and then want to record a macro, you are S. O. L.

I thought this was for users, as well as Microsoft. I wanted to stay informed about what others thought of this feature, and how Microsoft might respond. However, the profane comments dropping regularly into my inbox could impact my employment. So now I must unsubscribe and stay away from this site. Unfortunately if others must or choose to do so as well, this could become a profane thread of one, providing nothing of value, and no influence.

• Adam Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And spamming poorly-written and arbitrarily-censored vitriol only give Microsoft even more reason to ignore this issue. Every time this anonymous, loudmouth posts it cheapens this thread and makes it all the more likely that this issue will not be fixed any time soon.

That Microsoft has responded to the issue shows that they are at least working on it and as frustrated as I am with their sluggish pace, I don't think this latest nonsense helps in the least.

• microsoft sucks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What has being polite for the last year since this "update" has been implemented done?

It wastes time every day. Microsoft deserves to be treated with the same level of respect that they give to us the end user.

HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

• Lionel B. Dyck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I agree this issue needs to be fixed - please cease to post the obscene posts - they do absolutely nothing other than showing your immaturity. Microsoft has seen this thread and hopefully they are working on a solution - but like any large organization, even small changes take time. Who knows how long it took to implement this insane change in the first place.

HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

Hi Eric,

Please fire the person who suggested this Keep the Copy functionality.

Because it SUX

Please give me back the old version. This one keeps pasting **** because I forgot to hit ESC and the make the hang!!!!!!

ARGHHHHHH so annoyed at this excel.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base