Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard

Regarding the issue of...It's part of the May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard even if you do things that would normally clear it, like typing in a cell, applying formatting, etc.

Pressing ESC will clear the marquee/dancing ants.

Why in the world would Microsoft and an extra step here. This is terrible. At least give us the option to turn off the function. Please change this back or give us the option. Very disappointed!

587 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Keep the Copy was designed to improve the experience of copying content to your clipboard based on customer requests. Copy and Paste functionality is different in Excel than most other applications because results from formulas can change and due to the large size of worksheets. Since making the improvements there has been mixed feedback about the changes that we made and it is not up to our quality standards. Effective today, Keep the Copy will be removed from Excel until we have improved the quality and design of this feature.

Thanks,
    Eric Patterson
    Excel Program Manager

526 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Silvia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As it happens, forcing all users into one option will disappoint half of them. Keeping Excel's copied cells active indefinitely is very dangerous when you are using Excel alongside different programs and you need to copy&paste back and forth from them.
        Why Excel developers can't devise a way to enable/disable such a dangerous feature? Perpetual license is becoming too dangerous an option for many

• Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please put this feature back in.... I thought it was the best feature to come along in a long time!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Help! I loved that I could copy multiple lines once in Excel and insert those copies in multiple places in the worksheet without re-copying each time. Removing the Keep the Copy function has DOUBLED my workload! PLEASE, give us the option to turn that function on or off!

• J Piggott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this feature back! Or at least give us the option of turning it on?
        I found the feature absolutely essential when copying certain 'templated' groups of cells, and needed to insert this template into several areas of the same worksheet.

• keridwen cheetham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This drove me nuts. Excel kept crashing when complex formulae were sudden pasted into a complete row when I just wanted to add a blank row. I appreciate that may be different from, say, Word but Word and Excel are used in wholly different ways. I subscribed to the thread so saw I was in no way alone. I’m very, very happy it’s been turned off.

The thread now seems to be used by people who want it turned on so I’m seeing all those messages.

I think it highlights the need for things this fundamental to people’s daily usage of the software to be made optional when they are introduced.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of all the things to do, why completely remove one of the best improvements from the past year. Bring back "Keep a Copy".

• Sham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want it back too! I found it very helpful as I often need to paste the same information while in-between doing some searching, typing, etc.. I don't really understand the complaints because every other program keeps the copied info in the clipboard. Also, what is the harm ... if you don't want to paste it again then don't. When you want to copy something else it doesn't prevent you or cause any additional work.

We need to bring this back even if with an enable/disable switch somewhere that each user can control on their own so people who don't like it, don't have to deal with it and people who use it on a daily basis don't have to add hours of data entry onto their schedule per day.

I LOVED Keep the Copy function, I used it every day! Now that it is gone I'm not happy and it is taking a lot longer for me to perform certain tasks in my spread sheets. Please BRING IT BACK. :(

• g commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugh! Please bring this back - it is a very helpful feature and it's driving me crazy now that it doesn't work and I keep pasting blank cells when I think I will still be pasting what I copied. Very aggravating - why don't you survey what people think is useful before just removing it from the application?

I NEED this feature back.... Re-selecting data i need to repeatedly paste is MADDENING...

• Kevin Person commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found myself here because I love it and I miss it. Can you just bring it back while you work on it and make us whole again. Thanks!

• Ігор Малий commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there! I'm also one of the users of Excel who like this function, because it helps me a lot. However, it's gone by now.
        Is there any chance to return it like an option, so you can choose either to use it or not in the settings.

• excelboyjr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using Excel for years and this persistent clipboard does not help me, it gets in the way. There should be an option to disable it.
        The best way to help your user is to give them options, not force features on them.

• Jason Reck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anyone explain why going back to a previous version from 6 months ago doesn't work to bring this feature back?

To all the people asking for it to be brought back.... "Keep the Copy will be removed from Excel until we have improved the quality and design of this feature."

• Caz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring it back, going back to the old ways is killing me, this new way made my life so much easier.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 26 27

Feedback and Knowledge Base