How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard

Regarding the issue of...It's part of the May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard even if you do things that would normally clear it, like typing in a cell, applying formatting, etc.

Pressing ESC will clear the marquee/dancing ants.

Why in the world would Microsoft and an extra step here. This is terrible. At least give us the option to turn off the function. Please change this back or give us the option. Very disappointed!

303 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

159 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • j spin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would Microsoft add an extra step, you ask. Because they are Microsoft. For every task they always add an extra step.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, just want to add my agreement with everyone here. This is CRAZY ANNOYING and wastes a ridiculous amount of time (~an hour a month on average for me). PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

Regarding the issue of...It's part of the May 2017 update which keeps the copied item active in the clipboard even if you do things that would normally clear it, like typing in a cell, applying formatting, etc.

Pressing ESC will clear the marquee/dancing ants.

Why in the world would Microsoft and an extra step here. This is terrible. At least give us the option to turn off the function. Please change this back or give us the option. Very disappointed!

Since update of Excel 365 for Mac (v 16.9), a flickering highlight box remains around a copied or deleted cell after its data has been pasted elsewhere, and the original cell remains highlighted until worksheet is closed. It is quite distracting, very annoying and totally useless so I thought it best to tell you and ask that the 'feature' be removed in the next update. (Using the enter key instead of Ctrl V/Paste Command and/or pressing Esc are both counter intuitive and additional unwanted keystrokes).

This is a distracting nuisance. Keep the content in the clipboard, but once you start typing, please
        get rid of the dancing ants.

• GJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a ridiculously annoying thing that you've done!

• Audrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this feature is something I longed for before, I am now finding it a nuisance due to where it is placed on the ribbon. I think a simple solution would be to make it the second option instead of the first on the "Insert" dropdown, so that a user may still use the feature, but not find themselves populating the maximum number of cells in a worksheet by mistake.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I feel that the current versions are "dumbed down". Sure, they have a lot of cool features, but for power users who worked very fast in 2013, it's not the same.

• Kimmo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If MS would just stop honing a perfectly working program. Most changes are to the worse.

• Daniel Foote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointing this issue remains after a year. People who use this feature tend to use it multiple times a day. This adds much frustration and wasted time for your users, especially if one has to wait well over a second for the escape key to clear the memory.

• C.A. Gomez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a frustrating, time wasting, irritating glitch! The clipboard should turn off when the action is completed, as it always has in past versions. Whenever I want to insert a blank cell or group of cells using Insert in the Excel app menu bar at the top of the screen, only a "copied cells" or "cut cells" option appears. PLEASE correct this.

• Denise Rutledge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%. So irritating. The clipboard should turn off as soon as the action is completed, like it was in the past. I wasted 10 minutes of my morning looking for a solution.

Yes please fix this or at least give a possibility to change resp. influence the behavior via VBA.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base