How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

I want to deselect the cell which I copied from after pasting. At the moment, to deselect the cell I copied from, I have to hit Esc button.

I copied data from a cell.
I click Ctrl V to paste the data onto another cell.
But right now, I have to hit Esc button to deselect/remove the dotted lines/take away the focus from the originally copied cell. Does this sound right to you??? N O ! ! ! There is a problem.
Usually, after copying from a cell, you paste the data onto another cell and the original cell which you copied from gets deselected with no dotted lines surrounding the cell. Also, usually after pasted the data onto another cell, if you start typing in another cell, the cell where you copied from originally also gets deselected! But now, you have to hit Esc button to completely deselect it! WTF is going on!!!

75 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JohnJohn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a TOTAL PAIN .. I have to back track constantly because there is no way to turn this ?feature? off??? Unbelievable

I can't believe there is not an option to turn that off. Why make a function have to take an extra step (using the ESC key)! This needs to be changed please Microsoft!! It may not seem like a big thing but when you work in excel spreadsheets all day -- it gets infuriating.

• GrahamGraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just get rid of the ants entirely and make excel copy/paste work like every other program. The ants are ugly and the functionality is infuriating!

I have also been having this issue. After I copy and paste, if I try to insert a column on a spreadsheet it inserts whatever the last cell I copy and pasted, then I have to hit Undo, then Esc, then insert column again. I do this all day long as I work on alot of spreadsheets in my job. This is a major inconvenience. We need the option to turn off this feature.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This may be a useful feature for some, but not for me. I would appreciate the option of disabling it.

• Excel HelpExcel Help commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd take it a step further and ask Microsoft to keep the copied cells in the clipboard indefinitely, until another Copy command replaces it. Too many times I copy data in one workbook or sheet, then go somewhere else to paste it only to find that there's something in my way (other data to be deleted, columns or rows needing to be inserted or deleted, etc.). By addressing that obstacle, my copied data is dumped from the clipboard (dashed lines removed) and is no longer accessible to paste.

So first off, data in the clipboard should not be automatically inserted when I insert rows or columns. That's annoying; let me set up my worksheet how I see fit, then *I* will paste it where I want it. Just keep it in the clipboard for me to paste when I'm good and ready, and leave it in the clipboard (memory permitting) for me to paste again in the future. Often I paste the same data a couple times, once for values and a second time for source formatting, using my Quick Access shortcuts.

Second, the dashed line or "ants that were formerly marching but now are stationary" should go away after the first paste. Keep it around for a second as a visual cue that it's just been copied, but in most cases a user is done with pasting after the first time.

Yes, this new feature is very annoying. It's good for pasting the same info multiple times though, but there should be a way to turn it off.

• AurionAurion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's simply there to let you know that particular cell is still in the clipboard for pasting. It makes life a lot easier if you needed to paste the same cell into a range of different cells, rather than losing the copy as soon as you paste it once.

Ad least make it an optional setting if a person wants copy/paste to work this way.

Bonjour,
        Dans Excel, lorsque je veux faire un copier/coller, la sélection reste active. Je peux continuer à travailler, mais lorsque je veux insérer une ligne copiée c'est l'ancienne sélection qui se copie. Je ne peux plus utiliser cette fonction, mais uniquement le coller.
        La seule façon de désactiver cette sélection restée active, c'est d'enregistrer mon document et de sortir, pour ensuite rouvrir le document. Très désagréable.
        Merci de tenir compte de cette information et de bien vouloir faire le nécessaire.
        Meilleures salutations.

I agree - please remove this "feature". Once I've pasted the data into the new cell, the copied section should clear automatically like it used to be. The "feature" seems to also affect the Insert Cells icon at the top. It used to be very useful: If you highlighted a row and pressed the Insert Cells, a new row would be automatically inserted. Now the previously copied data gets inserted instead - very annoying!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base