How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

I want to deselect the cell which I copied from after pasting. At the moment, to deselect the cell I copied from, I have to hit Esc button.

I copied data from a cell.
I click Ctrl V to paste the data onto another cell.
But right now, I have to hit Esc button to deselect/remove the dotted lines/take away the focus from the originally copied cell. Does this sound right to you??? N O ! ! ! There is a problem.
Usually, after copying from a cell, you paste the data onto another cell and the original cell which you copied from gets deselected with no dotted lines surrounding the cell. Also, usually after pasted the data onto another cell, if you start typing in another cell, the cell where you copied from originally also gets deselected! But now, you have to hit Esc button to completely deselect it! WTF is going on!!!

143 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jozsef BARTHA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are million Excel users frustrated by this new feature. If they knew about this place of comments, Microsoft would get millions of complains here. For those who argue that the workaround is (instead of using Ctrl + C, Ctrl +V) to use Ctr + C and Enter my message is that the typical right-hand user uses the left hand for Ctrl + C and uses the right hand to hold the mouse. Hitting Enter instead of Ctrl + V is the same annoying as hitting Enter. So, Microsoft, please listed to the crowd!

• Suzanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How was this ever considered a "feature" MS? I'm not sure how many people were complaining a cell would not deselect so why has this been added? It's possibly one of the first times I've ever been truly annoyed by an Excel feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to disable this "feature." It's distracting and has led to significant errors.

Please change it back to the way it was!! I can't afford to keep hitting the escape button. Thank you!

• Claude Van Horn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like James Laws' comment.

Use Ctrl-C, go to the cell you want to paste data into and hit ENTER. the origin cell deselects automatically.

Alternatively, when I want to paste a cell's contents into several cells in different part so the workbook, I can use the CTRL-V and I don't have to keep selecting the source cell over and over.

This bug is frustrating please go back to the original copy and paste, so that when you paste it deselects the original cell. this cannot be a feature if so allow a toggle off, very annoying

Most of the comments here seem to be related to keyboard operations. What about the problems this 'feature' is causing to those of us using copy/paste in VBA? I now have to workaround literally hundreds of lines of code to get a fix for this! MS have not thought this through properly.

Please reverse this change or, ideally, to keep everyone happy, make it a switchable option asap.

Thanks.

• Lanna Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG - this feature is not (a feature). it interrupts the flow, PLEASE remove it/make it optional. THANKS.

• Ryan Means commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually think this isn't a bad idea - retaining the copy data - Maybe explaining somewhere that 'esc' needs to be used to clear the copy. A switch is the best way to handle this - some users will enjoy this, others will not (as illustrated with the current comments).

Please give the option to toggle this feature off.

Expecting Excel to behave as is always did...

Copied an Excel cell, searched for the text on Notepad, copied text from Notepad, pasted to different location in Excel.

The destination cell ended up having the data copied from Excel, not Notepad.

The need to remember to press Escape every time is very frustrating and error-prone.

• Di commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely irritating feature or bug that really needs fixing.

• Grimaldas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is a nice feature to have in certain situations but it definitely gets annoying where it isn't wanted. Personally I would like to have an option to "toggle" it on and off somehow, like some have already suggested.

• Karol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a very annoying feature. In fact at first I thought it was a bug. I agree with Ernee Kozyreff Filho that a separate way to keep cells selected the, like "double Ctrl+C" would be preferable to the current approach. This would be like the option that was added to "Format Painter" that if you click twice you can apply the format multiple times.

• Ernee Kozyreff Filho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a "double Ctrl+C" (i.e. pressing Ctrl+C twice) when we want to keep the cells selected after pasting and a "single Ctrl+C" otherwise?

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just got this new version of Excel at the office and having to press Esc is time consuming and annoying. It was easier for the fingers to just Ctrl+S to save and the cell would deselect. The Esc key is way up to the left, off the main area for typing. Please fix it back to the way things were Microsoft.

I like this feature, but support the idea for it to be selectable. The time when it's most annoying is when a new column is inserted, and it duplicates the copied area down all 1048576 cells - which can take a while and even crash Excel if the data on the clipboard is large. I'd like to see a prompt in this case ("Do you really want to copy this data to the new column, or do you just want to insert a blank column?" type thing.)

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base