Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

Invert Filter Selection

I'd like to see an option to invert filter selections. For example: If i apply a filter in a table i can select some boxes with a tickmark, but if i want to invert my selection i need to unmark selected itens before and mark the others.

In resume, i'd like to invert itens selected in a filter for the others unmarked.

153 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Eduardo Vale shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I apply the filter with the first selection, I usually add an additional column (that I name filter for example) and I type "A" into all of the cells within the selection.

Next, I disable filter and I hit filter again. This time, I do it using the new column, where I can choose to select A or "blank". I select Blank, and voilà!

• Kush commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Filter out #N/A, in the next column copy #N/A column as values. Remove the #N/A filter and then filter Blanks from the next column where you previously copied #N/A. This can be used to achieve desired result of inverting filter.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would save masses of time with large spreadsheets. Like there is an option to add to the selection would also help if there was an option to keep subtracting on this invert logic. Totally agree with #N/A and blanks at the top of the list too.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes yes yes !!! do it .. i dont understand why we still dont have it ..
        Do it before someone else comes with a better product and a org. which listens .. and you guys will be broke

Yes please, +1 on this. I've been wanting this function for years and only just got around to requesting it, only to find that it was requested a year ago.

• Moch. Tomy Damastha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi guys, i was so confused while invert any coloumn filtered. i create new sheet and move the filtered table, on base sheet i coloring coloumn then filter with "nofill" it works but lame

YES!!!! Then the #N/A and blanks can be on the top so you don't have to scroll all the way down every time to find these! This is so basic and is done over and over that's it's amazing this option hasn't been available for years. Or at least just have the #N/A and blanks appear at the top of the list instead of at the bottom....that in itself would be a huge improvement!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base